M&P 15 Trade Value
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: M&P 15 Trade Value

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

M&P 15 Trade Value

I'm taking the gun pictured on a trade and would like to see how much it is valued at. The guy told me this is not a sport II. How can I tell a difference between sport vs sport II? Also all accessories are staying on the gun. Thanks in advance!!
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    26391 times
    To me, it would be worth around $450-500 in trade value. The M&P is a solid rifle with very good to excellent reviews.
    To see the differences between the Sport and Sport II I'd go to S&W's website and print out the spec pages and the photos for comparison.
    You rifle is truly worth exactly what you valued what you traded for it. Hopefully you did well in this acquisition.
    Injunbro likes this.
    Teach them the truth, and let them sort thru the cobwebs of liberalism that have infested their minds.
    When the time comes that I don't want a new gun, call the undertaker!
    When they come for your guns, give them the ammo first!
    .45 ACP, Because shooting twice is just plain silly!

http://www.corneredcat.com
    http://www.takdriver.com

Member #
    Liked
    28163 times
    One obvious difference is that the Sport does not have a forward assist and the Sport 2 does. That one has it, but that doesn't make it a Sport2. That could be the M&P 15. As Gearchecker said, you would have to check S&W to see the differences.. That one has been modified enough that it may be hard to tell. A basic Sport AR goes for $550 more or lessAnd the M&P 15 goes for $998. Check for a chrome lined bore. The Sport2 doesn't have it, the M&P 15 does

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jonesy814 View Post
    And the M&P 15 goes for $998.
    WHAT? Just bought an M&P 15 Sport II Promo kit with: 1 magazine, case & speedloader from Bud's Gun Shop for @ $550.00.

Member #
    Liked
    28163 times
    Quote Originally Posted by canthitshit View Post
    WHAT? Just bought an M&P 15 Sport II Promo kit with: 1 magazine, case & speedloader from Bud's Gun Shop for @ $550.00.
    Yep, if you read my whole post I said the M&P 15 Sport2 is going for $550 more or less. The M&P 15 (not Sport) is a different critter. One difference I mentioned was the chrome lined bore (and chamber, gas key & bolt carrier). It also comes with a removable carry handle and has a 1 in 7 twist rate. The Sport2 is not chrome lined and has a 1 in 9 twist rate and no carry handle. Different furniture on the 2 models also.
    S&W also makes an M&P 15T, 15TS a 15X and an M&P 15 Competition model, just to name a few. All of them cost more than the Sport2
    Bumpus and Injunbro like this.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Hey Jonesy

Thanks for the help. I didn't know there was a difference.

Member #
    Liked
    15046 times
    OP lousy picture for identification.

If the barrel is an M4 profile as the pic kinda-sorta appears to be, then it's not a Sport variant. And if the handguard is a S&W factory quad rail then it would appear to be an M&P 15X which is twice the MSRP of the Sport. On the other hand, if it's just a straight profile barrel with a cheap aftermarket UTG quad rail then it's a Sport variant worth around $400 used. You can find new Sports under $500.

As far as the accessories... appears to be dime store stuff of little value.

This is an M&P 15X. Is this your rifle? https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/mp-15x
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by ChattanoogaPhil; 07-31-2019 at 01:36 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    All thank you very much. Those are the only two pictures I have right now. This is what the guy is telling me, I just copied and pasted our conversation

"Smith and Wesson model M&P-15, in .223 cal (5.56mm, the standard military round). SN: 72xxx
    - original M&P 15, I bought it in 2007, it is not any of the sport models.
    - comes with 2, 30-round military magazines.
    - simple sling (not sure brand)
    - rear flip sight, rail mounted. ‘Sniper’ brand, it was $20
    - front hand grips were replaced with rail system ‘Global Military Gear’. I think I got them on sale for $25 or so. These are used to attach gear to the rifle.
    - hand grips have covers by UTG (so you don’t scratch your hand on the rails). Paid maybe $10?
    - Pelican tactical flashlight with angled rail attachment, it was about $100 total at the time but not sure value now, probably could get this same light on market now for 45.
    - NcStar red/green dot sight. This thing was $40 and is accurate and fun (just put the dot on the target and it will hit). But, it is admittedly a cheap sight and not great for bad weather, so if you go hunting there are better sights out there. It as $40.
    - the front sight is fixed and has the standard military bayonet lug on the bottom. This is really just for show though it is functional because this civilian rifle is about 2in longer than the actual militarily ones so a bayonet won’t fit exactly right.- push button expandable bi-pod front grip by G.P.S. It’s actual military issue from when I was in the army. They are $110.

Here is a write up on the rifle. Note this was looking at the tactical version of this rifle, identical to mine but made for actual police so it had factory installed rails and accessories.
    https://www.policemag.com/339783/smi...ctical-carbine

Also, please note that I was a military police officer and put this together To be similar to my duty weapon. This is a straight civilian rifle with upgrades. It’s only semi automatic, nothing weird going on."

So that's all the info I looked and I'm almost 100% positive is an original m&p. My biggest question is how do I prove this if I were to sell the gun in the future and what's its value? It's hard to find a non sport to compare gun value. Any other input would be helpful!! Is there a sku number on the gun I reference or even use the serial number to get a model?
    Last edited by Portednpolished; 08-01-2019 at 07:07 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    6670 times
    In my area AR rifles are soft. So, a used AR with cheap aftermarket items the rifle probably would be worth $500.00 or less.

Member #
    Liked
    15046 times
    The market is soft. There are zillion new ARs for sale cheap. Why bother with a 12 y/o used rifle that you don't even know what it is nor condition with a bunch of dime store stuff mounted on it? My suggestion is move along...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links