Leaving California, want to know if I can un-gimp our AR with a parts kit?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Leaving California, want to know if I can un-gimp our AR with a parts kit?

Member #
    Liked
    3 times

Question Leaving California, want to know if I can un-gimp our AR with a parts kit?

Hey all, add me to the list of people fleeing CA for a more gun-friendly state.

I'll be moving to Vegas in a few weeks.

Here's my questions:

Is there some sort of parts kit that will turn our previously "CA legal AR-15" into a "normal" one with a regular mag-release, after I move? (I say "previously", because it's the M&P 15 sport with the "bullet button", which are somehow magically "evil" here now). Whenever I try googling it, I only get results for people trying to make their ARs "ca legal" and nothing for those of us who have left the state, and want to switch it over to a "Regular" AR.

Can I just toss any AR mag release into it? It's our first AR, and it's still relatively new, like MAYBE 200 rounds through it (we live in OC, and don't get to the range as much as we'd like to. In Vegas, I know a spot just outside of town where I can shoot all day legally, for free ...well, not counting ammo and a little gas to get there). I'm far from an expert (obviously), so I don't know what's available, or the proper terminology to search for.

Also, not sure how the transfer will work, as it's technically my father's, but he's giving it to me. I know Vegas's laws are lax, but I don't want him getting into any trouble here in CA (he's staying, I don't want them showing up at his house going "where's your AR?" after they pass 50,000 new draconian laws, and giving him problems). He saved the pistol grip, so that part will be easy (no, it's not currently attached, it's got the stupid
    "CA-legal" grip on it), and since he didn't want to screw with the damn mag release, he just registered it as an "assault weapon" after all that BS, anyways (not sure if he needed to, he just wanted to play it safe)...

As far as I'm aware, he's allowed to take it to NV, right? If he gives it to me over there, is that legal? I'm assuming not (even though private party to private party is fine there with no background check, last I checked ...and he will be a co-lesee on my apartment ...does that make him a resident? lol, not sure if even a lawyer could answer that one).

What if we take it to someone there with an FFL, and they do the background check and the whole 9-yards? This is another situation where I haven't been able to find a good response from all-knowing google. I'm fairly certain we could find a way to do it here with a background check, etc (I'm not trying to get around that part, I already own 2 guns and know I'll pass a NICS), I'm just trying to go with the cheapest/free/fastest, legal, option ...and all my guns I purchased new, from a gun store, so I'm not sure how the other methods work.

Any help/input with this really convoluted situation (though I'm guessing it's becoming more common) is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Junglist723; 12-05-2018 at 07:31 AM.
    Minorcan, Curt360 and blitzen25cat like this.

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    26377 times
    Go to the Brownell's website and you can look at their online catalog. The catalog is free, and it'll give you the information necessary to get the right parts the first time.
    Click this link, and it'll take you to the website, and the catalog. On the right side of the page, click the AR15/M16 button, and it'll download a pdf file for your viewing pleasure.

https://www.brownells.com/.aspx/bapi...atalog-71-pdfs
    Teach them the truth, and let them sort thru the cobwebs of liberalism that have infested their minds.
    When the time comes that I don't want a new gun, call the undertaker!
    When they come for your guns, give them the ammo first!
    .45 ACP, Because shooting twice is just plain silly!

http://www.corneredcat.com
    http://www.takdriver.com

Member #
    Liked
    13821 times
    Go to the big gunshop in Henderson, NV. They rent machineguns and can tell you the "how to's" of your move. Good Shooting!

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    23973 times
    I don't know what modifications California requires to the upper, but:

Apart from adding the magazine release to your lower, a number of changes to the upper might make it more cost effective to just replace the entire upper from someone like PSA (Palmetto State Armory) than to do all the work to restore a flash hider and bayonet lug if that was required as per the old 1994 national US AW ban.

Marc
    Silvertip and Curt360 like this.
    Cheers! Marc

Check out my Gun Rights BLOG at: http://skilledshot.wordpress.com
    accipere facile, sed sumite! - Take it easy, but take it!
    NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol; Personal Protection Inside and Outside the Home; Rifle; Reloading: Chief RSO
    NC DOJ Concealed Carry Instructor; Appointed Member North Carolina Criminal Justice Information Network

Member #
    Liked
    17017 times
    When you get to NV buy a new AR. It seems AR's can be had for reasonable prices now. Check the laws for each state regarding transfer's.
    blitzen25cat, Curt360 and mds19-3 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    82030 times
    Welcome to the forum!
    I keep a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take an ass whoopin'!

"Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself."
    George Washington

Member #
    Liked
    3195 times
    Congratulations for getting out of California , I considered moving to Vegas area . There is always construction going on, maybe get a job hauling building materials
    Curt360 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    990 times
    Sell it to some boob who decided to stay in California.
    mds19-3, Injunbro, Curt360 and 1 others like this.

Member #
    Liked
    2060 times
    Just leave it with your dad and buy a real one when you get to your new place. Not worth the hassle. Welcome to the forum.
    mds19-3, Injunbro, Curt360 and 1 others like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    7885 times
    Whew...you got your self a can of worms with it being registered as an CA "assault weapon" versus being a CA compliant "featureless" AR.

In CA, normally your Father would have been able to transfer a firearm directly to you without going through an FFL by doing a Intra-Familial transfer. He would just need to fill out this DOJ form Report of Operation of Law or Intra-Familial Firearm Transaction (BOF 4544A) , and send it and a $19.00 fee to the address on the form.

But he can not do that now, as it is not legal to transfer an 'assault weapon' in CA or to a CA resident. You'll need to see what the NV gun laws are regarding an out of state firearm transfer to you once you are an NV resident.

If a bayonet lug isn't important to you , the only other thing on a CA upper that's different from a regular AR is, it either has a muzzle brake instead of a flash hider, or nothing on the muzzle at all. To me, it's not worth the cost of a new upper just to get a lug and flash hider.

For for what you'll need to swap out on the lower, it should just be changing the bullet button setup over to a regular mag release (cheap to do) and the pistol grip (also cheap) or if it has one of those add on "fins", remove it from the pistol grip.

Cost wise, converting it to a "regular" AR outside of CA should be substantially cheaper that buying a new AR, the main consideration is going to be what the firearm transfer laws are in NV, the cost associated with shipping it to an NV FFL, and any fees they would charge.

There is nothing in CA that prohibits someone here from disposing of a CA registered assault out of state, in fact that is now the only legal way for a CA resident to otherwise sell or transfer one.
    Last edited by gunhacker; 12-09-2018 at 05:54 PM.
    Curt360 likes this.
    Conrad

NRA Endowment Member
    S&WCA #1830
    S&WHF #222
    Hopeless lifetime S&W Junkie
    Chronic "Marlinitis" sufferer

Political correctness: The doctrine fostered by the delusional liberals or the naïve, which attempts to promote the ideology that a turd is something that can be picked up and safely handled from the clean end.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links