Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By The Happy Kaboomer
  • 1 Post By ChattanoogaPhil

Thread: I want to upgrade my Gen 1 15/22

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Cool I want to upgrade my Gen 1 15/22

I want to upgrade my Gen 1 15/22. Where am I going to buy new parts and pieces including a new forend with a 12 o'clock rail only.

Member #
    Liked
    4652 times
    Do what I did. Sell it and buy the latest edition. Cheaper that way.
    cjt50, ChattanoogaPhil and jmcisc like this.

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    38023 times
    Welcome to the forum!
    Everything that happens is either endurable or not. If it’s endurable, then endure it. Stop complaining. If it’s unendurable . . . then stop complaining. Your destruction will mean its end as well.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    56302 times
    www.brownells.com has a parts catalogue specific to AR's.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment & buy one" Jesus - Luke 22:36

Member #
    Liked
    13683 times
    Palmetto sells the new 15-22 including MBUS for $299 delivered.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/sw-m...fle-10208.html
    TN622 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    I reworked mine a couple of years ago, and really enjoyed doing it. A little more education into the way AR's work. Which is why I'm glad I went with S&W initially, they work the same from 22 to 308. Anyway some of the places I looked and got parts is Tacticool22, there is some other 22 places but they deal with pistols mostly. I put a Troy built handguard on, changed the trigger springs, and charging handle. With the troy built handguard needed to buy they barrel nut set up so the handguard would fit properly. Should still be some you tube video's in regards to changing. Wanted mine to look the same. Name:  20170209_115458.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  2.20 MBEnjoy your new build.
    Slow is smooth and smooth is fast:

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Hey Popgam357, what kind of barrel nut did you use to mount the Troy hand guard? I had to purchase the Tacticool22 barrel nut conversion 3/32 gap. Waiting for it in the mail, I got the tool to remove the stock S&W barrel nut. I too want my 15/22 to look just like my full size AR15 with the new smooth longer slim hand guard rails. Thanks, yours look great. I went with a 12.5" long Key-mod hand guard since all my hand guards are key-mod and as well as my attachments, (did all of my conversions when Key-mods were the thing, now all is saying M-LOK, I'm not buying into that but I did the research and M-LOK claims a stronger design over Key-mod, oh well timing is everything, right). Thanks

Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Hey Popgam357, what kind of barrel nut did you use to mount the Troy hand guard? I had to purchase the Tacticool22 barrel nut conversion 3/32 gap. Waiting for it in the mail, I got the tool to remove the stock S&W barrel nut. I too want my 15/22 to look just like my full size AR15 with the new smooth longer slim hand guard rails. Thanks, yours look great. I went with a 12.5" long Key-mod hand guard since all my hand guards are key-mod and as well as my attachments, (did all of my conversions when Key-mods were the thing, now all is saying M-LOK, I'm not buying into that but I did the research and M-LOK claims a stronger design over Key-mod, oh well timing is everything, right). Thanks
    Hey Jesse, sorry it has taken awhile, been a bit since I've looked at this site, my bad.. anyway if I remember just used a normal 15 barrel nut. I ended up shaving off the tabs for the original guard rail to eliminate as much gap as possible. Then with the troy built just lined up the pictanny rails and torqued down the screws on the nut.
    Slow is smooth and smooth is fast:

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    If you decide to start over and buy a new one, I would recommend the 'Sport' BUIS-Edition ... then you have a great & compact set of pop-ups... and can transfer your favorite optics, or spend time researching the scope you really want sometime in the future.

I got the Optics-Ready (it's all they had at the Black Friday Sale), and the M&P Red-Dot is unimpressive. As it is, I ended up buying cheap generic BUIS, and they are big and clunky, and now I kinda regret ALL my sight gear on this rifle!

I don't regret the purchase though, because I have been able to create a very good light-weight copy of my AR15 (all common furniture & trigger, etc).
    Name:  IMG_2641.JPG
Views: 64
Size:  2.06 MB

Links