My M&P 15-22 went full auto!?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: My M&P 15-22 went full auto!?

Member #
    Liked
    590 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ChattanoogaPhil View Post
    I purchased a 15-22 when they first hit the market a decade ago. Reports of out of battery discharges were flooding Net Forums. Rifes sent back to S&W were returned with the same problem. Somewhere around a year after coming to market S&W began equipping rifles with blue colored action spring. Reports of out of battery discharges pretty much stopped. There are still occasional reports and after a decade I see no reason to believe that will change.
    Not sure what you base your statement on the OOB discharges stopping. S&W came out with the gauge this year to check the bolts. So bad things were still happening and some of the bolts were found to be defective with 2019 mfr dates.

And the fact that I posted a recent letter from an attorney who is an Appleseed instructor. He sent it to me 8/28/19 as he knows I would like to bring my 15-22 to a training class because of how much ammo/cost I would have to shoot. They want a box mag gun for part of the training.
    Whammo sling shot with Vortex red dot, extra power rubber band, Multi-caliber

Member #
    Liked
    54 times
    The gauge is for checking head space. Too little head space could result in a slam fire with a rimfire firearm. Too much head space and the firing pin won't strike the rim hard enough for reliable ignition. Really has nothing to do with OOB discharges. OOB discharges are usually the result of out of spec ammo, fouled bolt / chamber or a broken part.

There are other options for a "box mag gun",the Tippmann Arms and CMMG dedicated uppers are just 2. Heck, the Ruger 10-22 with a 15 or 25 round mag would fit the bill for a box magazine.
    ChattanoogaPhil likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    590 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cjt50 View Post
    The gauge is for checking head space. Too little head space could result in a slam fire with a rimfire firearm. Too much head space and the firing pin won't strike the rim hard enough for reliable ignition. Really has nothing to do with OOB discharges. OOB discharges are usually the result of out of spec ammo, fouled bolt / chamber or a broken part.

There are other options for a "box mag gun",the Tippmann Arms and CMMG dedicated uppers are just 2. Heck, the Ruger 10-22 with a 15 or 25 round mag would fit the bill for a box magazine.
    Ya, I don't any of the above. I have 2 15-22's. Not going to invest in another .22 rifle.

Fact remains there is still problems, and there will continue to be problems until S&W determines and fixes fixes the problem, or the aftermarket does.

Once again from above.

2. It is my understanding that the repeated fire will be fixed by confirming that the spacing is proper with the gauge provided by S&W.

3. Although we were informed this would have been corrected by checking the space with the gauge, it has not. At a SASP State match, a S&W M&P 15-22 fired out of battery, luckily only causing very minor injury to a safety officer. That firearm had, and has again been checked, and passes inspection with the gauge. We have reached out multiple times and left messages with multiple people at S&W to contact us. After no responses from S&W, for the safety of everyone in our program, we sent out the directive to temporarily stop using the firearm in our program. Staff reached out twice on Friday to S&W Customer Service and both times, after a little over 20 minutes on hold, our call was disconnected by S&W without us being able to speak to anyone.

At this point, until we can be assured by S&W that this safety issue is something specific to this one firearm, under no circumstance is this firearm allowed to be used in ANY SASP practice or events.
    Whammo sling shot with Vortex red dot, extra power rubber band, Multi-caliber

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    15161 times
    Geeeesh... relax.

#3. S&W isn't going to guarantee that particular 15-22 is the only one of their rifles to ever again suffer an OOB. Like I posted earlier, there have been ongoing occasional reports of 15-22 OOB during the past decade even after their blue action spring fix. If the powers at be feel that banning the rifle from events is the right course of action, then that's that. I had an OOB in one of my Ruger pistols. It happens.

As cjt50 pointed out, there's alternative rifles to choose from if these events are important enough to you.

I like my CMMG. About twice the price of a 15-22. Well... as seen below it's several times more than a 15-22 but I enjoy shooting it so what the hell... only live once.

Name:  Screen Shot 2018-09-23 at 7.58.03 PM.png
Views: 65
Size:  3.68 MB

For those wondering... this is what a case looks like after an OOB. The charge ruptures the case. Most of the time it's just a loud pop, but sometimes a small piece(s) of brass will come from the ejection port that may or may not break the skin. Not pleasant, but not the end of the world.

This is from my 15-22 back in 2010. IIRC, the rifle was at about 10,000rds. S&W installed a blue action spring and no problems for another 30,000 rounds.

Name:  Screen Shot 2019-09-22 at 4.17.26 PM.png
Views: 61
Size:  2.14 MB
    Last edited by ChattanoogaPhil; 09-22-2019 at 04:30 PM.
    cjt50 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    54 times
    TN622 i don't appreciate being yelled at. I read what you posted and all I'm doing is giving you an explanation what the gauge S&W provides will tell you. The gauge WILL NOT guarantee a firearm will not have an OOB. If the person who sent you this message was led to believe this, he was misinformed. Unfortunately most 1st level folks at S&W customer service are nothing more than people who answer a phone and read a script when dealing with problems. You have to get deeper in the system to get real answers.
    ChattanoogaPhil likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Did you check the safety Recall?

https://youtu.be/LlK9ovMZcY4

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Links