My M&P 15-22 went full auto!?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: My M&P 15-22 went full auto!?

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    If you still have problems after you shoot it S&W will send you a gauge to check the bolt face for free ( it’s easy and quick to do) or you can ship the bolt to S&W (free shipping) and they will check it and replace it if need be and ship it back all free.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    458 times
    As Ridgerunner mentioned, the bolt is the issue. I only know because I was researching the 15-22 and someone showed this to me Sunday.

Below are all of the links from the S&W site to tell you about and what to do. As well a link to order the gauge to check the bolt if you chose that route.

I ordered a new 15-22 anyway, better that it's a known thing and there's already a solution.

https://www.smith-wesson.com/mp15-22...r-safety-alert

https://store.smith-wesson.com/m-p-1...spection-gauge

http://www.smith-wesson.com/sites/de...ert_030619.pdf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJO0...ature=youtu.be
    I support diversity in firearm ownership
    ;
    ;

Arsenal SLR-107R AK-47 - 7.62x39
    Auto Ordnance 1911 - 45ACP
    Beretta 92FS, 92FS INOX, PX4 subcompact, PX4 compact
    CZ 75 SP-01 Phantom - 9mm
    FMK 9C1 G2 - 9mm
    Glock 21 Gen3 - 45 acp
    Heckler & Koch MR556A1, P30L, VP9
    Desert Eagle - 44 mag
    Mossberg 88 - 12 ga
    Sig Sauer P226 RX & P229 Compact - LEO
    Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22 & 29-2
    Taurus TH9
    Walther PPK/s - 380 acpL,

Member #
    Liked
    5443 times
    Sounds more like a "feature" than a "bug"
    "The right to buy weapons is the right to be free." -A.E. van Vogt

" It is simply not possible to believe fossil fuel emissions will destroy the world and, at the same time, oppose nuclear power. "- Dennis Prager

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    12739 times
    Quote Originally Posted by delcrossv View Post
    Sounds more like a "feature" than a "bug"
    Me too. But, I'd like to have a little more control over when to empty the mag.
    delcrossv and Ohio MP like this.
    ~Jerry | Buckeye Firearms | ORPA
    Life Member DAV | NRA Distinguished | RWVA

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    458 times
    My new 15-22 showed up today at my FFL. When I got home first thing I did was plug the serial number into the S&W site, it accepted the number, so I assume it's a maybe baby. I'll check as soon as they ship the gauge to me.
    ;
    ;

FMK 9C1 G2 - 9mm
    Glock 21 Gen3 - 45 acp
    Desert Eagle - 44 mag
    Mossberg 88 - 12 ga
    Taurus TH9

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    458 times
    Well, actually, I just checked the date of manufacturer of this 15-22, it's 04/29/2019. The S&W notice says it possibly effects rifles made before 02/01/2019. So I guess mine is absolved from that problem. However they're still sending the go no go gauge. I'll check it out, and also give the gauge thickness for anyone that wants it. I'll make a CAD drawing and post it in PDF format.
    Injunbro likes this.
    ;
    ;

FMK 9C1 G2 - 9mm
    Glock 21 Gen3 - 45 acp
    Desert Eagle - 44 mag
    Mossberg 88 - 12 ga
    Taurus TH9

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    My new 1522 was fine till about 50 rounds,then it started firing 2 round bursts,with occasional 4 round bursts. It just came back from S&W,havent tried it yet

Member #
    Liked
    583 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohio MP View Post
    As Ridgerunner mentioned, the bolt is the issue. I only know because I was researching the 15-22 and someone showed this to me Sunday.

Below are all of the links from the S&W site to tell you about and what to do. As well a link to order the gauge to check the bolt if you chose that route.

I ordered a new 15-22 anyway, better that it's a known thing and there's already a solution.

Actually no. There is still a problem.

I have a friend who is an attorney in Nashville. He is heavily involved in the Appleseed program. This is a cut and paste from FB messenger to me.

"Below is an email that was sent out by a completely different organization than the Revolutionary War Veterans Association/Project Appleseed. The long and short of it is, not even Smith & Wesson‘s attempted fix resolves the very dangerous problems with their M&P 15/22. They won’t be allowed on the line at Project Appleseed events for a very long time – if ever.

UPDATE: Important Equipment Safety Concern

***UPDATE: SAFETY CONCERN***

Additional information on the safety concern posted previously. First, we thank everyone who has reached out to us and have explained the issues they have personally witnessed. If I had known all this information earlier, this action would have been taken a quite a while ago. As I now understand it there are three issues our teams and coaches have witnessed.

1. The trigger pin walking out causing the firearm to go full auto, emptying the magazine.

2. The bolt space issue subject to the safety alert we shared from S&W. When the alert was released we spoke to the company and were advised this would correct the out of battery issue, as well as an issue with the firearm firing repeatedly as the bolt closes.

3. Firearm firing out of battery.

Plan of action to address concerns:

1. This was witnessed by a coach at an SASP practice. It is my understanding that if we required anti walk trigger pins, this issue would be resolved.

2. It is my understanding that the repeated fire will be fixed by confirming that the spacing is proper with the gauge provided by S&W.

3. Although we were informed this would have been corrected by checking the space with the gauge, it has not. At a SASP State match, a S&W M&P 15-22 fired out of battery, luckily only causing very minor injury to a safety officer. That firearm had, and has again been checked, and passes inspection with the gauge. We have reached out multiple times and left messages with multiple people at S&W to contact us. After no responses from S&W, for the safety of everyone in our program, we sent out the directive to temporarily stop using the firearm in our program. Staff reached out twice on Friday to S&W Customer Service and both times, after a little over 20 minutes on hold, our call was disconnected by S&W without us being able to speak to anyone.

At this point, until we can be assured by S&W that this safety issue is something specific to this one firearm, under no circumstance is this firearm allowed to be used in ANY SASP practice or events.

At no time will SASP compromise when it comes to the safety of the participants in our program.

Respectfully,

Rick Leach
    National Director, SASP
    About the Scholastic Shooting Sports Foundation"
    Whammo sling shot with Vortex red dot, extra power rubber band, Multi-caliber

Member #
    Liked
    54 times
    If you want to shoot an AR15 type rimfire buy a Tippmann Arms M4-22. S&W, Appleseed and now SASP will never come to terms on this issue.

Honestly, the Tippmann is a better rifle, (cost more too) and this is coming from a guy that owns 6 15-22's.

Member #
    Liked
    15061 times
    I purchased a 15-22 when they first hit the market a decade ago. Reports of out of battery discharges were flooding Net Forums. Rifes sent back to S&W were returned with the same problem. Somewhere around a year after coming to market S&W began equipping rifles with blue colored action spring. Reports of out of battery discharges pretty much stopped. There are still occasional reports and after a decade I see no reason to believe that will change. My 15-22 had over 40,000 rounds through it. Very much enjoyed the rifle. The most reliable rimfire autoloader I have ever owned. I now primarily shoot a CMMG dedicated.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Links