Quality difference between M&P 10 Sport and Standard?
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By jonesy814
  • 1 Post By Layne12gun
  • 1 Post By WendyZXZ

Thread: Quality difference between M&P 10 Sport and Standard?

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Quality difference between M&P 10 Sport and Standard?

Good day.

Decided that I really need an AR platform in my life and have selected the M&P 10 as the one that has everything I need to get started, plus a few great features.

With the 18Ē ďstandardĒ model being ~$1,400 at retail and the 16Ē sport model being under $1k, I have questions.

To hit the lower price point, are there other aspects that have been dumbed down in the Sport? I canít be a ~$400 difference for the 2Ē additional barrel length and the upgraded flash hider, can it?

I was learning towards the 18Ē model, but if the Sport is truly build the same, with the same internals and such, Iíll elect to go slightly shorter and that allows me to budget in a set of sights and a PEPR mount to boot.

Thank you for any details you can share. I called S&W, but the woman I spoke to didnít really know, she basically just said itís the budget model but didnít know about the internal parts.

Best,

Allen
    Colorado Springs

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Called S&W again, just to see if I could get an answer to what I thought was a pretty basic question.

After a bit of time on hold, I was told that the increase in price is due to a better flash suppressor on the 18Ē model, superior to the suppressor (his words) on the Sport, 2Ē of additional barrel length and possibly a different finish on the barrel.

To his credit, he was just a front-line customer service rep, but I figured that details about internal differences and quality level would be pretty basic.

On their spec page, the call out that the bolt on the 18Ē version is 9310 steel, but itís not called out on the Sport spec sheet.

Member #
    Liked
    24397 times
    I don't see any differences that you haven't pointed out
    2bytandem likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Iím thinking thatís the case.

Swung by a shop that had both in stock, looked them both over really well.

Now itís just whether or not I want to spend the additional $$ for the extra length.

I believe that I will in end, just wish the price differential wasnít so much, but I guess thatís always the case.

Member #
    Liked
    11082 times
    Depends on what you want the rifle to do. Long range shooting the 18 inch barrel is better with a heavier bullet. CQB Close shooting with red dots or lasers the 16 is the gun you want . All depends on you and what you want you gun to be. ??

Ah freedom of choice. OR you could by the 16 inc and buy an 18 to 20 inch upper for distance shooting .. !!
    2bytandem likes this.
    TO Ride, Shoot Straight, and Speak the Truth.

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    37458 times
    Welcome to the forum!
    2bytandem likes this.
    Everything that happens is either endurable or not. If itís endurable, then endure it. Stop complaining. If itís unendurable . . . then stop complaining. Your destruction will mean its end as well.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thank you all.

Just ordered the standard model with the 18" barrel. Want the slightly increased velocity and distance/ft lbs that will allow for. Slightly quieter (w/in reason) will be a plus.

Looking forward to getting acquainted with this new AR platform soon.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Links