Rifle Range Problems
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    40 times

Rifle Range Problems

We have a great city Range, rifle range out to 300 yards, 50 yard pistol range next to it, next to that 4 open ranges that shoot to a hillside. There are usually about 10-20 people shooting. There is no supervision, its open 24 hours, 7 days a week. Shooters just kind of yell out that they want to go downrange, and everyone sort of agrees. I have seen new shooters just walk downrange without telling anyone. New gun owners stand on the firing line fumbling with their new guns. I have had to tell shooters to point their guns downrange, and not handle them when people are down checking their targets. We have never had anyone shot, just lucky I guess. I am thinking of complaining to the city, but I may be unhappy with their solution. Has anyone had any problems with an unsupervised range like this?

Gizamo
    Sounds like a range flag would help the situation...

willie
    Quote Originally Posted by Gizamo View Post
    Sounds like a range flag would help the situation...
    It might take a bit more than a flag. A tazer seems to have a dramatic wonderful effect on stupidity! Anything less dramatic has little value . The liberals are right about one thing, there are just some people who should not be allowed to own a weapon. I suspect that if we limit weapons to folks with a 90 or above I.Q. most conservatives could live with that. Anyone with an I.Q. of 89 or below need be accompanied by an adult whenever guns are handled in public. In your own home, go crazy, we may even raise the general I.Q. by the natural selection process!

Willie

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    557 times
    You really need a range officer. Even with one, morons still fiddle with their guns with people downrange. At least he can yell at them without someone wanting to start a fight. It works where I go.
    Hawk

Member #
    Liked
    40 times
    It would take 3 rangemasters to control this area, due to separation of the ranges. It would be expensive. It is a city park, and the rangemasters would have to be paid and be qualified. A control tower of some type would have to be built. In these times, its not going to happen. I am hesitant to even mention it to the city, they may start to worry about the liability. The range has been here 30 years, maybe we will be lucky. Or, maybe someone will be killed because of a shooters carelessness.

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    8544 times
    Our range is private, but it is easy to become a member (heck, they let me in.) It is the responsibility of all members to be their own range officer while there. I have had to do this on many occasions (always friendly, except for once) to new shooters and old alike. Most take it pretty good as I just point to the rules which are prominently posted.
    Lost in the woods.

Member #
    Liked
    4440 times
    I must live a sheltered life. I have never been to a range where there was a range officer present. But then again I don't participate in any shooting leagues either. I belong to the local fish and game but in the past used to a number of different public ranges situated on Pa Game lands. Range rules are always prominently posted. Never saw anything to make me worry about safety issues at either venue and everyone is expected and expects others to be safe and communicate intentions. I've always enjoyed helping the newer shooters learn the ropes and there are often some older hands to learn from. It's very much a social outing on many occasions.
    The public ranges can be quite a circus during the month before deer season though! There are more 'newbies' present then but the more experienced shooters keep them in line.
    I've no doubt that accidents have happened but they are very rare. The only fatality that I know of was a murder that occurred last year at a nearby public range. The victim was murdered for his shooting outfit. The initial suspects were a couple of "rapper" types seen frequenting the range "popping" black semi-autos horizontal style. They were found and actually provided some key info that helped to catch the real BG, a prison guard of all people. Just goes to show you that ya can't always judge a book by it's cover.
    John

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    8544 times
    My only unfriendly conversation was the one time I was heading back to the line after changing targets. There was only one other person there and he was on my extreme right. I was still 10 yards out from the line when I heard shooting commence. I screamed at him just what did he think he was doing? What's the matter, your all the way over there, he says. !!!!!

I had a few choice words for him as I packed my gear and left. I reported him and his privileges were revoked.
    Lost in the woods.

Member #
    Liked
    4440 times
    I had a few choice words for him as I packed my gear and left. I reported him and his privileges were revoked.
    Forrester,
    I hear you. You gotta say what you have to say! Some people are a little dense but you did the right thing and did him a favor in doing so. Whether he realizes it or not is up to him alone.

I have a feeling that my overwhelmingly positive experiences at the shooting ranges is due to the fact that most, if not all of those present are hunters. Pa has a good hunter safety program that is required for younger hunters and the old hands are often of the mind that firearms are very specialize tools, safe when cared fore and used correctly but dangerous none the less. The same can be said about chain saws, cars, electricity...
    Many of the hunting camps in Pa are built on ground "leased" from the state and reckless or illegal activity could result in loss of the lease. Consequently lease members take gun handling very seriously.
    I'm leery of those who look at guns as entertainment. At my Fish and Game club there have been some instances of inappropriate behavior as evidenced later by backstop and roofing support beams being shot through as well as the metal roofs covering the shooting butts. It's always found after the fact, never witnessed or reported by anyone. Vandalism with a firearm by some knucklehead! The club has recently installed remote cameras, although most of us aren't sure if they are real or dummies. I supposed the next hit will be the cameras!
    John

Member #
    Liked
    437 times
    I think I would be a little too nervous to go to such a range. We either go to our 'special place' out in the desert, where it's just a few of us. Or to an indoor range if the weather won't allow outdoor shooting.

We have been to a very nice outdoor range called Ben Avery up north of Phoenix. It's run by the Arizona Game and Fish department, and run well. Many of the folks that work there are volunteers, and they range officer has a very nice line of sight down the many tables. It's cheap to shoot there, but it does get crowded early in the day on the weekends. I don't mind paying a little bit for better safety myself.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links