Health and Fitness Thread
Page 2 of 80 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 ... LastLast
Like Tree608Likes

Thread: Health and Fitness Thread

Member #
    Liked
    3287 times
    Quote Originally Posted by gunhacker View Post
    Now that's interesting... so a person's body basically goes into a survival conservation mode if you eat too little?

Does that then make it so protein (muscle) instead of fat is what is being utilized/burned/lost?
    Yup, that's why a person hasta be careful when dieting. Also why exercise is so important.
    If a person tries to lose weight just by starving, his body'll burn more muscle along with fat than if he ate healthy, kept at a slight caloric deficit and exercised.
    Also, artificial sweetners are read by your body as something sweet and can trigger an insulin response. That also can slow a person's metabolism.
    Keep on Chooglin'
    Check out my YouTube Channel. Leatherwork, hiking, biking and just general nonsense.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOM...uIxXKlA/videos

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    39428 times
    Congratulations that is excellent!
    snubbyfan likes this.
    Cum Deo et victricibus armis

Member #
    Liked
    736 times
    Quote Originally Posted by snubbyfan View Post
    Along with diet, you also need to be careful not to eat too little. You're body'll go into starvation mode, slow your metabolism and oxidize protein for fuel.
    I was stuck at 180 pounds for the longest time. Then I decided to track my calories one day.
    I discovered that I was burning between 3000 and 4000 calories but I was taking in less that 1000.
    I actually had to eat more to lose weight.
    Quote Originally Posted by gunhacker View Post
    Now that's interesting... so a person's body basically goes into a survival conservation mode if you eat too little?

Does that then make it so protein (muscle) instead of fat is what is being utilized/burned/lost?
    Quote Originally Posted by snubbyfan View Post
    Yup, that's why a person hasta be careful when dieting. Also why exercise is so important.
    If a person tries to lose weight just by starving, his body'll burn more muscle along with fat than if he ate healthy, kept at a slight caloric deficit and exercised.
    Also, artificial sweetners are read by your body as something sweet and can trigger an insulin response. That also can slow a person's metabolism.
    I'll play!

First, CONGRATS Snubby. Getting healthy is a huge undertaking. I started my journey to getting back to a healthy weight late in 2013. At that time, I was 340# and miserable. When I started dating my wife in 1982, I was 180#. So, I set that as the goal. The first pic below was at 340, second pic was at 220, and I am now at 212. I plan on hitting 180 later this year.

I am not very mobile due to a MC accident in 1979, 4 hips and a LOT of pain. The sedentary lifestyle combined with a horrible metabolism contributed to my weight gain. And to make it worse, I didn't eat healthy foods.

So, I began what I call the GOD diet. I only eat meals, prepared with food that is in the form that God made it. I only eat meat, veggies, fruit and nuts. I try to eat nothing processed other than a yogurt. I don't eat bread of any kind, no pasta and definitely no processed sugary foods like snack cakes etc. My fiber comes from a lot of veggies.

As mentioned above, if one enters starvation mode, that can be detrimental to weight loss. So it is very important to know your RMR or Resting Metabolic Rate. Most active healthy males will burn 2-3000 calories a day and 4-5000 for those who are very active. When tested, we found that my RMR was 1200 calories. So even when I tried to diet and ate 1500-1800 calories, I could never lose.

Now, by eating a lot of healthy foods, mostly low-no starch veggies (I skip Potatoes too...) I have managed to eat 1000-1100 calories a day, and I visit my doctor monthly to get checked out.

So, I know it can be done if someone wants it badly enough and is informed about what their body requires.

Anyway, congrats Snubby, and for anyone who wants to start,,, Just Do It! I wasted 30 years of my life miserable and obese. Never again!

For me it just requires a commitment to a lifetime change in eating habits and being as active as I am physically able.

Name:  FullSizeRender (7).jpg
Views: 192
Size:  66.9 KBName:  FullSizeRender (3).jpg
Views: 202
Size:  770.1 KBName:  IMG_6524.PNG
Views: 196
Size:  122.1 KB
    Last edited by SteveMac; 07-29-2016 at 10:25 PM.
    “There is one rule, above all others, for being a man. Whatever comes, face it on your feet.” ― Robert Jordan, "The Great Hunt"

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    3287 times
    That's fantastic Steve!
    Keep up the good work.
    I set small goals along the way.
    Like right now, I want to get to 175, then I'm gonna fire up the grill, drink beer, smoke a cigar and grill up some cheese burgers.
    I'm still trying to figure out my reward for 170 pounds.
    Keep on Chooglin'
    Check out my YouTube Channel. Leatherwork, hiking, biking and just general nonsense.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOM...uIxXKlA/videos

Member #
    Liked
    800 times
    I'm 48 now. I used to be 250 lbs, but about six years ago I decided it was a time for change and I now weigh around 187. I'm 5'6" so when I was heavy I really looked heavy. I mix my exercise routines up. I row, swim, walk, use the elliptical machine, do calisthenics and work out in my garden (weeding, squatting down, digging holes) . I also watch my eating and I don't smoke and basically don't drink alcohol. I'm not anti-alcohol. I just prefer coffee when it comes to a vice. The photo on the left was me back in 2010. The other photo was taken in March of 2013. For what it's worth people were much more willing to try to fight me ,and try to provoke me, when I was arresting them back when I was out of shape. I was also quicker to lose my temper and get into scuffles with suspects and I was a terrible snorer. Now that I've made some changes I find that I almost never get into physical confrontations and my over all disposition is calmer and I wake up more rested. My health is also better. Oh and my qualification scores with my Glock have also improved. It applies to everything I guess. My back doesn't bother me as much as well. I've dropped ten inches on my waist as well. It was worth it.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Checkman; 07-29-2016 at 11:55 PM.
    WendyZXZ, SteveMac, Bond and 10 others like this.

Member #
    Liked
    731 times
    I eat a little smarter than I did in the past. My weight is marginally high but stable. Occasionally I get the urge to exercise. I usually pour about three fingers of Jack, find a shady spot in the yard, and wait for the urge to go away.
    Fide et Fortitudine

Member #
    Liked
    14148 times
    Since I was diagnosed with prostate cancer, my acupuncturist advised me to get my immune system turned around by eating healthier than I was and to exercise regularly.
    Since I believe in Chinese medicine I have been following his advice and my numbers have been steady, so I keep lifting weights and ride the bike that goes nowhere.
    everyone brings happiness, some by staying and some by leaving...

And As You Slide Down that Banister of Life You Should Pray That All The Splinters Are Pointed The Other Way...

Bob.

Member #
    Liked
    800 times
    Quote Originally Posted by wirenut View Post
    Since I was diagnosed with prostate cancer, my acupuncturist advised me to get my immune system turned around by eating healthier than I was and to exercise regularly.
    Since I believe in Chinese medicine I have been following his advice and my numbers have been steady, so I keep lifting weights and ride the bike that goes nowhere.
    FWIW it does seem to help when you make those changes. I've been healthier in the past few years. I don't get sick as often and when I do come down with something it doesn't seem as severe and I recover sooner.

Member #
    Liked
    16928 times
    Snubby fan sounds like you are doing the right things. We also belong to the ywca and the wife loves Zumba. I walk and work out on the machines but I have been laid up now for two weeks because I hurt my back and stubbed my toes on the left foot. The back is ok now but the toes still hurt and make walking difficult, still swollen. I had plan on loosing some weight this summer with walking but...... Anyway we don't follow a diet we just try to eat healthy and I like the dry red wine. The red wine is not helping me too lose weight oh well.

Member #
    Liked
    16928 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Checkman View Post
    I'm 48 now. I used to be 250 lbs, but about six years ago I decided it was a time for change and I now weigh around 187. I'm 5'6" so when I was heavy I really looked heavy. I mix my exercise routines up. I row, swim, walk, use the elliptical machine, do calisthenics and work out in my garden (weeding, squatting down, digging holes) . I also watch my eating and I don't smoke and basically don't drink alcohol. I'm not anti-alcohol. I just prefer coffee when it comes to a vice. The photo on the left was me back in 2010. The other photo was taken in March of 2013. For what it's worth people were much more willing to try to fight me ,and try to provoke me, when I was arresting them back when I was out of shape. I was also quicker to lose my temper and get into scuffles with suspects and I was a terrible snorer. Now that I've made some changes I find that I almost never get into physical confrontations and my over all disposition is calmer and I wake up more rested. My health is also better. Oh and my qualification scores with my Glock have also improved. It applies to everything I guess. My back doesn't bother me as much as well. I've dropped ten inches on my waist as well. It was worth it.
    I see you have a mini me.
    Checkman and snubbyfan like this.

Page 2 of 80 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 ... LastLast

Links