Just thinking about certain items in life that 'got away'…
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Just thinking about certain items in life that 'got away'…

Member #
    Liked
    28115 times

Just thinking about certain items in life that 'got away'…

Seeing Coiler666's thread about trench art immediately got me to thinking about something that might not be trench art exactly, but was made by a soldier in a combat theater. My oldest sister's fiancé (who later was killed in Viet Nam) made and gave me a straight blade knife that had a handle made from an expended 20MM round. I carried that thing around so much the brass shown brighter than a ship's quarter deck expecting an admiral's inspection! Unfortunately, when I was in the Navy, it along with many of my treasures simply disappeared. Now I have no actual proof it was a nephew that took it, but the simple fact he's now 38 and has spent (continues today) 21 years of his life incarcerated in various prisons, I'm strongly leaning toward that theory.

There are other things too:

· My dad's 30-06 rifle he sold for $150 bucks because he was out of work and needed to pay some bills….didn't let me know.
    · My dad's 1960 International 4WD pickup sold for $500 bucks, same reason as the rifle….didn't let me know.
    · My aunt's H&R 22LR SA revolver that we held for her after shooting her ex in the leg…. took it back and sold it for a song.
    · A .32 ACP pistol my dad had before I went in the Navy, but the same old story; needed cash in between jobs.
    · My grandfather's old 22 rifle shipped from Arkansas that never showed up, but at least his shot gun did!
    · My uncle's revolver and rifles promised by him to my dad, but who's late-in-life new wife gave to her son when he passed.
    · My other granddad's S&W revolver that apparently our grandma pawned when suffering from depression after his passing.

All of course just material things, nothing important, but things that I have thought of many times the past 35-40 years or so. I'm guessing I'm not alone in this arena, what do you folks have that might fall into the same category?

series guy, mmitch, Bob K and 1 others like this.
    “So son, explain again exactly why there’s a stripper in your bedroom?"

Member #
    Liked
    10540 times
    My father sold his Marlin 336 in .35 Remington for $75 to a guy he worked with. Never asked me if I wanted it. He also sold his BMW motorcycle to a friend of mine without asking if I wanted it. I did manage to buy that one back. The list goes on. It's kind of a current subject since my father passed last week. At least I was by his side and he went peacefully.

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    26391 times
    My father has a set of matching COlt 1911-A1's that he shot while on one of the Marine Corps shooting teams. He sold them to my brother-in-law, and never seen since.
    Teach them the truth, and let them sort thru the cobwebs of liberalism that have infested their minds.
    When the time comes that I don't want a new gun, call the undertaker!
    When they come for your guns, give them the ammo first!
    .45 ACP, Because shooting twice is just plain silly!

http://www.corneredcat.com
    http://www.takdriver.com

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    3157 times
    My list is too long and depressing.

Member #
    Liked
    557 times
    My dad traded in my 30-40 Krag on a new Rem mod 700 when I was in the service. He gave me 35 bucks, what he got on trade in value. I don't know what it was worth back in 1967, I paid 5 bucks for it few years earlier. Anyway, I wish I still had it.

Greg

BTW, the Mod 700 was $101.67.
    Last edited by ghawke; 04-10-2014 at 06:06 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    6291 times
    Lost a K-Bar in a move bout 25 years back, and alotta history if it could talk.....reckon theat most "stuff" can be replaced, in some way. Like ya said Stacey, as long as ya keep the momeories, Mike.
    zigzag likes this.
    MIKE 3:16 YOU GOT TWO OPTIONS AMIGO, SLIM AND NONE!

Member #
    Liked
    8370 times
    When I was a bit shy of four, my Dad, recognizing that, early on, I was fascinated by firearms, let me know that "this" was my rifle.

"This" was a 22 lr Mossberg trainer. It was heavy as hell, with a great-massive/overbuilt stock and, what would, today, be called a heavy or bull barrel. It had a seven "bullet clip" and shot straighter than I did (or ever would).

Dad knew I couldn't even lift this gun, but, under his supervision, we could rest the rifle on any convenient berm or stump, and I could learn sight picture, trigger pull, and most importantly the discipline that led to safety in gun handling.

I used to have fantasies about (now Dad was a WestPac sailor, blackshoe-type, WWII) killing those dirty japs when they, as I knew they eventually would, tried to invade Flushing Drive...

Got to be eight or so, had learned to carry, shoot, and put squirrel in the pot. I kept that old friend stowed in my Dad's pick-up camper for handy use when we were in the country.

One Saturday morning, anticipating a trip to the "woods", I went to retrieve and oil my beloved Mossy. I discovered some low-life, scum, s-o-b had stolen my gun.
    I lament that loss to this minute, and still, often, think fondly of that old rifle. Other than Shorty (a collie 'bout twice as massive as Lassie), that trainer was my first love. The theft of that old rifle was also my first taste of cruel heartbreak.
    Kinda thing that can make a boy develop a "hard" outlook.

(whinneywhinewhine)Mike
    Blackcloud2 and gearchecker like this.

My Oath, taken in 1973, to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic, stands.

Member #
    Liked
    652 times
    Nah, I'm not getting into the woulda-shoulda-coulda thing with guns.

There are other more important things in life that got away that I regret.

The times I should have said "I love you" and I didn't.

The times I said "I love you" and wish I never spoke.

The girl I wish I kept.

The girl I wish I never met.

Stuff like that I'll ponder, but they're always more guns.

JMHO YMMV.
    I'm an analog man in a digital world.

Member #
    Liked
    4689 times
    Blackcloud2, sounds like your folks come from ARK. What part. My great- grand dad ,RJ Denny was from Ark .
    He had a pair of pear handled, nickel plated colts that dad's uncle had. When uncle died,we heard no more of these
    pistols. Grand Dad carried these in Indian Terr. while he engaged in his retail business. At Judge Parker's 2nd request,
    Grand Paw went back to farming. These have been gone, to us, since the early 60s. I would sure like to have seen them.
    You all have a good night. Cliff.

Member #
    Liked
    28115 times
    Quote Originally Posted by quikdraw67 View Post
    Nah, I'm not getting into the woulda-shoulda-coulda thing with guns.

There are other more important things in life that got away that I regret.
    Quikdraw, that's why I only mentioned material items in my list. If I were to begin considering the regrets I've accumulated in life related to love, relationships, people in general, I'd probably not be able to push the SUBMIT button due to sorrow!
    azmick and Injunbro like this.
    “So son, explain again exactly why there’s a stripper in your bedroom?"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links