• 1 Post By Bob K

Thread: We were in Fries VA, Grayson County near Galax VA

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    4806 times

We were in Fries VA, Grayson County near Galax VA

We were in Fries VA, Grayson County near Galax VA (Virginias Blue Ridge Highlands) today. The New River Trail State Park runs thru Fries. The trail parallels the New River for 39miles with a total trail length of 57 miles. The trail is an old railroad bed that was converted into a state park. You can see part of the park as you cross the New River with the prominent landmark being the Shot Tower off of I-77.

I've walked the trail length a multitude of times, thou not all the 57 miles of length at one time. The longest single walk was approxmently 30 miles. Yes in my seventh decade!

Its peaceful, but one needs to watch out for the pedal pushers and the horse back riders!!!!!
    jeepnut, BonitaBob and WendyZXZ like this.

Member #
    Liked
    14654 times
    Hey Dennis.....look out for that pileof......... They make the dog owners pick up after their dog ........they should do the same with horses!!! But, they don't around here. You have to watch your step. It's no fun getting it off hiking boots!!!!! Bob
    dennis40xnc likes this.
    When you want the BEST! Bob

Member #
    Liked
    588 times
    Fries (pronounced Freeze) was a company town for textiles much like the coal camps were for coal mines. After the companies closed, many of the people went to work in the woodworking factories in Galax (about 5 miles away) until most of them closed. They have used their natural resources (the New River runs through Fries) and beautiful countryside to promote tourism. They have done a good job with what they have to work with. Most of the housing is very modest old company houses on very small lots. It's a neat place that takes you back in time and is very different from what you see in most of the country.

We ride out motorcycles and sports cars through Fries several time per year as it saves about 20 minutes if we use the backroads to rather than the interstates or larger roads to get to Galax and other parts south from I-81 near Marion, Va.
    dennis40xnc and Bob K like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    26416 times
    For those that have not seen the New River gorge, here are a couple of photos from the I-77 bridge area:

Name:  DSCN1063s.JPG
Views: 17
Size:  400.4 KB

Name:  DSCN1069s.JPG
Views: 16
Size:  164.6 KB

The light image contrast is from the morning fog.
    OzarkMarine and Davwingman like this.
    Cheers! Marc

Check out my Gun Rights BLOG at: http://skilledshot.wordpress.com
    accipere facile, sed sumite! - Take it easy, but take it!
    NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol; Personal Protection Inside and Outside the Home; Rifle; Reloading: Chief RSO
    NC DOJ Concealed Carry Instructor; Appointed Member North Carolina Criminal Justice Information Network

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2356 times
    Nothing like a nice and peaceful walk in nature, thanks for sharing.
    dennis40xnc likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    4806 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mrerick View Post
    For those that have not seen the New River gorge, here are a couple of photos from the I-77 bridge area:

Name:  DSCN1063s.JPG
Views: 17
Size:  400.4 KB

Name:  DSCN1069s.JPG
Views: 16
Size:  164.6 KB

The light image contrast is from the morning fog.
    I believe that photograph is the New River Gorge bridge , near Summersville on US19. One exits I77 at Beckley WVA on to US 19 which would connect to I79 at ?Birch River? They have Bridge Day, which allows individuals to Parachute free fall, Bongo Cord jumping and also Repelling from the maintenance cat walks below the top deck traffic road suffices

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    26416 times
    There goes my memory. Well, at least it's the New River Gorge... I took these on a trip back in 2016.
    Last edited by mrerick; 02-03-2020 at 09:45 AM.
    dennis40xnc likes this.
    Cheers! Marc

Check out my Gun Rights BLOG at: http://skilledshot.wordpress.com
    accipere facile, sed sumite! - Take it easy, but take it!
    NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol; Personal Protection Inside and Outside the Home; Rifle; Reloading: Chief RSO
    NC DOJ Concealed Carry Instructor; Appointed Member North Carolina Criminal Justice Information Network

Member #
    Liked
    14654 times
    Dennis, I tend to travel around a lot, to go for walks in different areas, in WMASS too. Though, with Diabetes, I'm not able to walk much more than a couple miles at a time. I do compensate, by stopping in different places to walk. Usually I do 4-6 miles a day. 'Course, I'm not one of those tough ex-military guys, either. Bob
    Last edited by Bob K; 02-03-2020 at 09:10 AM.
    dennis40xnc likes this.
    When you want the BEST! Bob

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    4806 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob K View Post
    Dennis, I tend to travel around a lot, to go for walks in different areas, in WMASS too. Though, with Diabetes, I'm not able to walk much more than a couple miles at a time. I do compensate, by stopping in different places to walk. Usually I do 4-6 miles a day. 'Course, I'm not one of those tough ex-military guys, either. Bob
    This past year I walked 1000 miles, which is on average is just under 3 miles per day. Its not a matter of toughness but rather commitment !

Links