I just paid for my first phone, the new iPhone 11 (one picture)
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: I just paid for my first phone, the new iPhone 11 (one picture)

Member #
    Liked
    446 times
    I don't understand the IPhone thing and the amount of money people pay for them. For those that say they have never paid for a phone, do the math you will discover you pay dearly for it with a contract. Like most, I was "forced" to get a smart phone and since I only wanted it to use as a phone, text and use the internet, I bought a $100 Samsung and got $35 per month coverage through Straight talk (Verizon towers through Walmart). It works as well as the Verizon service I had for years at a much lower cost. My daughter and her family are IPhone fanatics and I don't see that they have any advantage over what I have.

Member #
    Liked
    14855 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911 View Post
    Phil,
    My old iPhone 5 has iOS 5. My new iPhone 11 has iOS 13. They skipped or the new 11 would have iOS 11.
    Not that any of this matters... but... iPhone5 was first released with iOS6.

This is the history of iPhone and iOS releases. As you can see, no iOS version from 1 through 13 were skipped. iPhone and iOS numbers haven't matched upon release for many years.

Enjoy your new phone.

Name:  Screen Shot 2019-10-16 at 8.47.51 AM.png
Views: 19
Size:  184.7 KB

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    9652 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ChattanoogaPhil View Post
    Not that any of this matters... but... iPhone5 was first released with iOS6.

This is the history of iPhone and iOS releases. As you can see, no iOS version from 1 through 13 were skipped. iPhone and iOS numbers haven't matched upon release for many years.
    Where did you get that chart? I have a chart that shows different dates and software. Nonetheless, both charts show the iPhone 5 is no longer supported. It's called planned obsolescence?

My best friend is my old Windows 7 computer. It's done in January due to planned obsolescence. I have an older Windows 10 which is very disappointing.

I ordered a new Windows 10 today which I understand is better (my kids and their friends say so). They say I need to get it done.

BTW, I am really liking the new iPhone 11. It was easier for me from transforming from a previous iPhone. I'd say that it has more computer power than my old Windows 7 computer.
    S&W revolvers and Colt 1911's
    NRA Life Membership

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    14855 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911 View Post
    Where did you get that chart? I have a chart that shows different dates and software. Nonetheless, both charts show the iPhone 5 is no longer supported. It's called planned obsolescence?

My best friend is my old Windows 7 computer. It's done in January due to planned obsolescence. I have an older Windows 10 which is very disappointing.

I ordered a new Windows 10 today which I understand is better (my kids and their friends say so). They say I need to get it done.

BTW, I am really liking the new iPhone 11. It was easier for me from transforming from a previous iPhone. I'd say that it has more computer power than my old Windows 7 computer.
    Yeah, these new "smartphones" are about 1% phone and 99% computer and camera and navigation and TV... and and and... fantastic devices. Way beyond George Jetson!

My iPhone 5s was supported through all the new iOS releases until 12.4 Sept 2019. It's still works just fine. The only reason I got a new iPhone was to switch over to Xfinity Mobile. Otherwise, I could have kept using it with Sprint for the foreseeable future. My 2009 27in iMac stopped being supported with new OS a couple years ago but is a much better desktop computer today than it was in 2009. 10 years better than new... can't beat it.

I've got a Win10 PC. From just a simple user perspective I haven't found it much different than Win7 other than Cortana (Siri equivalent).
    1911 likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    9652 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ChattanoogaPhil View Post
    ...The only reason I got a new iPhone was to switch over to Xfinity Mobile. Otherwise, I could have kept using it with Sprint for the foreseeable future. My 2009 27in iMac stopped being supported with new OS a couple years ago but is a much better desktop computer today than it was in 2009. 10 years better than new... can't beat it.

I've got a Win10 PC. From just a simple user perspective I haven't found it much different than Win7 other than Cortana (Siri equivalent).
    All good advice.

I have to wait 30 days to pay for the new iPhone 11. They keep it locked to their network when financing and make a cash buyer hang around for 30 thirty days to pay the final $50 to get it unlocked.

When it is unlocked, I get to pick a service.

My new Win10 will be here tomorrow. I'll need to check it out. It was >$300 with shipping. It has a touch screen that the older one did not have.

I am not scared that W7 is going away but worried about the security of the old device. I am only on Windows since my first computer was Windows just like my first iPhone was Apple.

I'll run the new Windows computer with pictures as soon as I get it.
    S&W revolvers and Colt 1911's
    NRA Life Membership

Member #
    Liked
    33 times
    I bought my first phone for less than $20.

In the 1970s.
    A LAWYER, BUT NOT YOUR LAWYER.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Links