I just paid for my first phone, the new iPhone 11 (one picture)
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: I just paid for my first phone, the new iPhone 11 (one picture)

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    9652 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
    ..Never paid for a smart phone in my entire life and don't plan on it...

I really don't like cell phones at all but are necessary to communicate today.
    I get it. I opened this thread so everyone could find their phone.

I mentioned my iPhone 5c above with the older software. Many new apps did not go with the older software. However, the former free phone still hooks up to my Wi-Fi and 911 emergencies. It's good.

I went for the new stuff since I need the new apps to help me with my parents (I got a camera on them). They are both age 91. I also like the new apps for car stuff.

I am also installing new camera's at my home.

*Long story here but a friend hired a girl to watch his home and take care of his dog. The girl later had a dude sitting in his chair drinking his liquor and watching his TV. He called her and said the dude needed to leave the premises. She never saw the camera.*

It was about 10 years ago when I walked down my driveway to get my morning WSJ. There was a dude laying half in my yard and half in the road. I checked, and he had a good pulse. I called 911. They asked the usual questions.

It seems that the neighbors hired a neighbor girl to watch the house and their dog. She invited a dude over that passed out in my yard.

The passed out drunk dude is probably in charge of the running the democratic party today. Just saying.
    MOONDAWG, woodsltc and Curt360 like this.
    S&W revolvers and Colt 1911's
    NRA Life Membership

Member #
    Liked
    5895 times
    I am surprised they still call them Phones. They are more of a Camera and App store than anything else.

Should be a Hand held Technology Device

Name:  tricorder.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  66.7 KB
    Curt360 likes this.
    NRA Certified RSO

Member #
    Liked
    13922 times
    My wife bought a cheap cell phone2 25 years ago, from Walmart. She used to travel about 28 miles to work, on a busy express way. She had it just for emergencies, and never really used it much. Still has it today! She called AAA to change a flat on my RAV4. That one call more then paid for it!!!!

I hate the darned things, and never had one......and never will!!!! When I see all the dumb A--holes trying to drive, using one hand, while talking on the phone, going around a turn, and drinking coffee......I don't feel too safe!!! And if anybody here, tells me how good they are at multi-tasking....while talking on the phone......I'll bang my head against a wall ! Bob
    Last edited by Bob K; 10-10-2019 at 05:23 PM.
    Curt360 likes this.
    When you want the BEST! Bob

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    14851 times
    Nice iPhone.

Also recently upgraded from an iPhone5s. The 5s was still working fine for me but Xfinity Mobile required at least a 6 to get on their mobile network.

Not sure what you mean by using iOS from 2011? My iPhone 5s accommodated all the latest iOS versions through 12.4.2 Sept 2019. I now have a new iPhone7.

Enjoy your new phone.
    Curt360 likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    9652 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ChattanoogaPhil View Post
    Not sure what you mean by using iOS from 2011?..
    The iPhone 5 used iOS 5 software that was invented (in the USA) in 2011. I had a flip-phone before that which went back ~10 years.

The new iPhone 11 uses iOS 13 software (I guess from this year--and not sure how it skipped two numbers). It was not a planned purchase. My wife and I went in to add her name to my account and my name to her account. It was supposed to be a no-cost visit. It was spur of the moment thing when I upgraded (she has a 7 S). My family and friends are surprised that I own the latest tech stuff. [Never happened before]

BTW, I got a case and screen saver from Amazon Prime for much less than Apple wanted.

BTW#2, I know all of this stuff is assembled in Asia. I don't like it anymore than everyone here.

P/S I like the new phone. It has twice the battery life, much faster software, 8 X the memory capacity, and Siri does what I tell her to do
    MOONDAWG and Curt360 like this.
    NRA Life Membership

O4L
    Member #
    Liked
    123 times
    Ooookaaay...

That's more than I have paid for most of the vehicles I've owned.
    Rule3 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    4307 times
    I need to get a new phone... I have an i4.

John
    If you have ten thousand regulations, you destroy all respect for the law. Winston Churchill

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    9652 times
    Quote Originally Posted by timetripper View Post
    I need to get a new phone... I have an i4.
    I was in WalMart (Mobil 1 is on sale, bought groceries), and they have the 32GM iPhone 7 for $200 (with a warranty). I sent my old i5 to a friend. I used my new Apple Pay to pay the postage (right click at check out, and a receipt printed--$4.90 for 2 day delivery--no warranty ).
    NRA Life Membership

Member #
    Liked
    14851 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911 View Post
    The iPhone 5 used iOS 5 software that was invented (in the USA) in 2011. I had a flip-phone before that which went back ~10 years.

The new iPhone 11 uses iOS 13 software (I guess from this year--and not sure how it skipped two numbers).
    iPhone5 supported all iOS updates through iOS10 released Sept 2016. Did you never update your phone?

iPhone11 and iOS13 were both released Sept 2019. I'm not sure what you mean by skipped two numbers? iOS12 was released Sept 2018. iOS11 was released Sept 2017.

If you're not updating your iOS I recommend you do. iOS 13.1.2 is the latest which fixed some issues when 13 was first released.
    Last edited by ChattanoogaPhil; 10-15-2019 at 01:26 PM.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    9652 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ChattanoogaPhil View Post
    iPhone5 supported all iOS updates through iOS10 released Sept 2016. Did you never update your phone?
    If you're not updating your iOS I recommend you do. iOS 13.1.2 is the latest which fixed some issues when 13 was first released.
    Phil,
    My old iPhone 5 has iOS 5. My new iPhone 11 has iOS 13. They skipped or the new 11 would have iOS 11.

I have no clue why. I do know that a few apps would not download on iOS 5 and wanted a newer operating system. Uber, for one, dropped off the old one.

Yes,
    My old phone was updated on a regular basis as well as automatic iCloud back-ups. My new phone has had two updates in the first week. The new one is also set for automatic iCloud back-up.

The salesman (who knew his stuff) tried to upgrade me from the 13's 32GB of memory to 128GB. I thanked him and mentioned my old phone that was in front of him had 8GB so 32GB was good. He smiled.

The cost of anything is based on the useful life. The new phone will last at least 7 years so that is $100 per year. I can afford that. Many folks pay a lot more for the fancy coffee at Starbucks. I have never been in a Starbucks in my life.

The local Starbucks has a no gun rule although most people that I know ignore the rule with legal licensed concealed carry. They can afford expensive coffee with a liberal attitude.
    NRA Life Membership

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Links