Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Travel cross country to NW from Fla

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    785 times

Travel cross country to NW from Fla

Was not sure were to post this. I will be traveling from Florida to Washington state in coming weeks. Looking at
    Reciprocity Maps it looks like my Florida permit is good until I hit the west coast. I will not be going thru California, but want visit Oregon and destination Washington. Any advise appreciated. Guess I could just lock up in a lock box if needed.
    Bob K and Oldgungeezer like this.

Member #
    Liked
    52302 times
    Both of those States are becoming Calif 1&2. Too bad do not know someone could leave it with. Being out of state probably less lenient. (if they are even lenient to anyone). Couple of members are from Oregon and Wash. Maybe PM them.
    Oldgungeezer and Fandango1949 like this.
    Regards,
    Rodney

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead."

Thomas Paine

Member #
    Liked
    5001 times
    Oregon does not reciprocate with anybody for concealed carry. My Utah concealed permit is good in Washington.

Oregon is an open carry state for anyone eighteen or older. Oregon allows local governments to regulate open carry. Multnomah County (Portland) bans loaded open carry. Several cities either ban loaded open carry or ban loaded open carry in parks or other locations within the city limits.

Oregon Firearms Federation has good information. https://www.oregonfirearms.org/
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    21619 times
    Remember that the concealed carry laws are different in every state that you pass through, and you have to follow the local law within each state.

Get the regulations from each state you'll travel through and keep a copy on your computer. Some sites like NRA and USA Carry have summaries that are useful, but not complete. There can be some subtle differences that will get you into felony trouble.

Be particularly careful of the Federal "Gun Free School Zones Act". Many states, including mine, do not recognize out of state permits for overriding this act within their state. This means that the Federal 1,000 foot no-guns "bubble" around school property applies. It is very difficult to drive anywhere in an urban environment without driving on a street within 1,000 feet of a school boundary. Get caught speeding in their special "School Zone" speed traps and you could end up in trouble.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun-Fr...ls_Act_of_1994

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun-Fr...es_Act_of_1990

Also note that land managed by the Army Corps of Engineers continues to prohibit firearms possession. This is more important in Western states with large tracts of Corps managed land. There has been a lawsuit active for years trying to resolve this. Many states now permit carry in their park systems and so does the Federal government, but the Corps can manage state owned land as well as Federal land.

Marc
    Cheers! Marc

Check out my Gun Rights BLOG at: http://skilledshot.wordpress.com
    accipere facile, sed sumite! - Take it easy, but take it!
    NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol; Personal Protection Inside and Outside the Home; Rifle; Reloading: Chief RSO
    NC DOJ Concealed Carry Instructor; Appointed Member North Carolina Criminal Justice Information Network

Member #
    Liked
    3219 times
    I have an app on my iPhone called CCW. It gives great information on your state’s carry info and other states where you can carry. I think it is .99 in the App Store. I like it because the info is always with me.
    Paul

STUPID WILL GET YOU KILLED

Member #
    Wet Side of the Mountains - Washington State
    Liked
    5527 times
    Be very careful with reading the states as you pass through. Especially, if you have a multi-state permit (similar to Florida and Utah's) because you have to beware of the "non-resident" portion of the state you're traveling through. A specific example, which applies directly to me because of my grown children living in Colorado and I'm a resident of Washington State with a Utah permit. Colorado recognizes the Utah permit BUT only for Utah resident's, not non-resident. I'm sure there are plenty of other "land mines" out there waiting for the unwary traveler. If I may ask, where in Washington will you be visiting? A lot of the advice we can give you depends on where you'll be stopping.
    Fandango1949 and jeepnut like this.
    "Lord I'm not askin' to go right now but, if you call me now, I pray my remains may be found in a pile of hot brass surrounded by my dead enemies!"

"What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others."

Retired Military: 1963-1967 U.S. Navy 1971-1987 U.S. Air Force

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    785 times
    I'm meeting some friends in East Port Orchard, and staying in Bremerton. I can leave my piece at my friends in E. Port Orchard while there.

I will get that app!

Member #
    Liked
    5230 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Fandango1949 View Post
    I'm meeting some friends in East Port Orchard, and staying in Bremerton. I can leave my piece at my friends in E. Port Orchard while there.

I will get that app!
    But then "by leaving it" you have transferred it and will require a FFL to do so, and then when you want it back you need a FFL to transfer it back to a FFL in Florida as you are not a resident and Fed Law does not allow a transfer to a out of State person.

Transfer does not mean "selling" it means possession.

If you want more info on this I can give you a link to a thread on another forum. Yes, it is all convoluted and probably ignored but just saying

You cannot legally transfer possession of a firearm to another individual across state lines without the services of an FFL.

18 USC 922 (a) (5)
    NRA Certified RSO

Member #
    Wet Side of the Mountains - Washington State
    Liked
    5527 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rule3 View Post
    But then "by leaving it" you have transferred it and will require a FFL to do so, and then when you want it back you need a FFL to transfer it back to a FFL in Florida as you are not a resident and Fed Law does not allow a transfer to a out of State person.

Transfer does not mean "selling" it means possession.

If you want more info on this I can give you a link to a thread on another forum. Yes, it is all convoluted and probably ignored but just saying

You cannot legally transfer possession of a firearm to another individual across state lines without the services of an FFL.

18 USC 922 (a) (5)
    ABSOLUTELY TRUE for Washington State. A few years ago, the idiots passed an initiative called 594 that did this trick on a state level.

Fortunately, you're not in hostile country, such as Seattle and it's burbs. Remember, Bremerton has a large military population and many military/military support bases.

Get your hosts to take you around to the Olympic Peninsula and the largest Rain Forest in the US. Average of 300 inches annually.
    jeepnut likes this.
    "Lord I'm not askin' to go right now but, if you call me now, I pray my remains may be found in a pile of hot brass surrounded by my dead enemies!"

"What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others."

Retired Military: 1963-1967 U.S. Navy 1971-1987 U.S. Air Force

Member #
    Liked
    5230 times
    Quote Originally Posted by NWDave View Post
    ABSOLUTELY TRUE for Washington State. A few years ago, the idiots passed an initiative called 594 that did this trick on a state level.

Fortunately, you're not in hostile country, such as Seattle and it's burbs. Remember, Bremerton has a large military population and many military/military support bases.

Get your hosts to take you around to the Olympic Peninsula and the largest Rain Forest in the US. Average of 300 inches annually.
    It's Federal Law. Yes it is ridiculousness. Just saying.
    NRA Certified RSO

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links