Travel cross country to NW from Fla
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Travel cross country to NW from Fla

Member #
    Liked
    2229 times
    You want to be careful visiting the left coast. In particular, California. I took a major detour through Nevada to Arizona last trip, so I could carry. Went through desolate country and under snow and icy roads to bypass California.

Buy a lockbox for your handgun. Lock your revolver up or semi auto unloaded. Keep a speedloader, moon clip or mag handy. Keep your lockbox one number off or key handy. I used to travel in California with a handy loaded gun. If you do so, you might as well be in Jersey in the other left coast.

I rode a bike back to Az from Florida ten years ago. I was glad to have a .45 with me. There are truly lonely stretches in Texas. In Lordsburg, NM, I put it under my pillow, as the AC quit in the dumpy motel by the railroad tracks, and transients. I was legal all the way, but many law changes in 10 years.

Oregon has zero reciprocity.
    bearcat6 and jeepnut like this.
    Don't be so open minded your brains fall out.

Member #
    Wet Side of the Mountains - Washington State
    Liked
    5535 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rule3 View Post
    It's Federal Law. Yes it is ridiculousness. Just saying.
    While it may be a federal law, that doesn't stop the states from enacting their own versions and on top of which, completely ignoring federal law. You can wave the "but it's a federal law" flag all day long, but you may run afoul of some local interpreter who will ignore any and all "federal" and carry on their merry way. Just as a case in point, look how much "fun" ICE agents are having in sanctuary states trying to enforce federal law in the face of state "rulings". I certainly would be hesitant to wave the Federal "Law" flag in King County (home of Seattle) or down Oregon way in Portland.
    "Lord I'm not askin' to go right now but, if you call me now, I pray my remains may be found in a pile of hot brass surrounded by my dead enemies!"

"What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others."

Retired Military: 1963-1967 U.S. Navy 1971-1987 U.S. Air Force

Member #
    Liked
    5287 times
    Quote Originally Posted by NWDave View Post
    While it may be a federal law, that doesn't stop the states from enacting their own versions and on top of which, completely ignoring federal law. You can wave the "but it's a federal law" flag all day long, but you may run afoul of some local interpreter who will ignore any and all "federal" and carry on their merry way. Just as a case in point, look how much "fun" ICE agents are having in sanctuary states trying to enforce federal law in the face of state "rulings". I certainly would be hesitant to wave the Federal "Law" flag in King County (home of Seattle) or down Oregon way in Portland.
    Show us a "State Law" that overrides or negates the Federal Law of Interstate Transfer of a Firearm.??

I agree it it is a probably unenforceable or "ignored" law, but a State can not superseded a Federal Law of transfer.

If that was the case that someone in "your" State could just buy a gun from someone in another State and just ignore all the ATF transfer laws??
    NRA Certified RSO

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    5044 times
    Federal law does not limit in-state transfers. Orgon and Washington both limit in-state transfers. A transfer includes loaning a gun to a friend if it is out of your control. You cannot let a friend keep or use your gun. The only legal in-state transfers without a FFL background check and paperwork is between very limited close relatives. I wanted to give a gun to my cousin and had to got to a local gun store and transfer my gun to the store. Then they transferred it to my cousin for a fee after passing the State Police background check and stolen gun check. It is the law in Oregon and Washington.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.

Member #
    Liked
    5287 times
    Quote Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
    Federal law does not limit in-state transfers. Orgon and Washington both limit in-state transfers. A transfer includes loaning a gun to a friend if it is out of your control. You cannot let a friend keep or use your gun. The only legal in-state transfers without a FFL background check and paperwork is between very limited close relatives. I wanted to give a gun to my cousin and had to got to a local gun store and transfer my gun to the store. Then they transferred it to my cousin for a fee after passing the State Police background check and stolen gun check. It is the law in Oregon and Washington.
    But the OP post is not about IN state transfer it is about out of State. He is from Florida. He is not a resident and has no intention of staying. By Federal law he can not "legally" "leave it" with someone in another State and then go around touring to another State and come back and pick it up.
    That said, yes it is lame stupid whatever and what the OP does is his business.

I suppose he could leave it in a locked box with only him having the key and the friend would not have access to it.. But what if it got stolen and crime committed with it and they found the gun and traced the gun and found out he was not in possession of it and on and on and on.
    Last edited by Rule3; 07-23-2019 at 10:15 AM.
    NRA Certified RSO

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    788 times
    Way complicated, it will stay in my vehicle unloaded in lock box while in Washington and Oregon. At night will be in our motel room. Reminds me of when I lived in Maryland,
    Rule3 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    5287 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Fandango1949 View Post
    Way complicated, it will stay in my vehicle unloaded in lock box while in Washington and Oregon. At night will be in our motel room. Reminds me of when I lived in Maryland,
    Yep, that's what all the convoluted laws are for. Just to harass the honest law abiding people. I hear Maryland is one of the Worst!
    Thank Goodness you are not going somewhere like New Jersey!

"Shall not be infringed"
    Bob K likes this.
    NRA Certified RSO

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Links