Maybe I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure snipers don't use pistol's -
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree81Likes

Thread: Maybe I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure snipers don't use pistol's -

Member #
    Liked
    629 times

Maybe I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure snipers don't use pistol's -

Sat down and started watching a show with my wife last night and they were trying to catch a sniper that had been targeting people from 100 yards away. Anyway about half way through the show they showed the sniper's weapon, it was a Les Baer .45 caliber 1911 with a scope on it.
    I told my wife that I just lost interest in the show because that was so ridiculous in so many ways.

1. A sniper using a pistol, instead of a rifle for a 100 yard shot?

2. Using a .45 caliber bullet that's heavy and would tumble and drop losing all accuracy at 100 yards.

3. It was a 1911 model pistol with a scope mounted on the slide. Not a red dot scope, a scope with cross hairs, that would probably knock the cross hairs loose after two or three shots.

Why don't the producer's spend a few minutes researching and try to get a realistic show?

Member #
    Liked
    5916 times
    I loose interest when the sniper with a scoped rifle misses from the top of a building and the detective with a snub-nosed .38 special takes him out.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.

Member #
    Liked
    17993 times
    Lets dissect that a bit shall we......

Quote Originally Posted by Catsass View Post
    Sat down and started watching a show with my wife last night and they were trying to catch a sniper that had been targeting people from 100 yards away. Anyway about half way through the show they showed the sniper's weapon, it was a Les Baer .45 caliber 1911 with a scope on it.
    I told my wife that I just lost interest in the show because that was so ridiculous in so many ways.

1. A sniper using a pistol, instead of a rifle for a 100 yard shot?

Why not? My revolver can do well beyond 100 yards and is very capable of killing out to 125 yards with minimal bullet drop. Even my 44RM long barrel will do 100 yards. When I think of a rifle, I think of a minimum 250-500 yard shot anyway

2. Using a .45 caliber bullet that's heavy and would tumble and drop losing all accuracy at 100 yards.

Bullet stabilization has to do with rifling, muzzle velocity and twist. I load and shoot a .452 pill @ either 250 or 300 grain all the time in my 460 with no stabilization issues at all and none with my 44 either.

3. It was a 1911 model pistol with a scope mounted on the slide. Not a red dot scope, a scope with cross hairs, that would probably knock the cross hairs loose after two or three shots.

Good scopes don't come apart because the erector mechanisms are properly damped. I agree a 1911 isn't a good choice in weapons but a Desert Eagle in say 454 Causall would do the job at 100 yards, no issue and the Desert Eagle is a 1911 variant.

Why don't the producer's spend a few minutes researching and try to get a realistic show?
    Most likely no Les Baer would do the deed. I own one, nice piece but not at 100 yards though there are many handguns out there that will do 100 yards and beyond,.

it's Hollywierd after all. Anything goes in Hollywierd.
    Daryl......

'You can fool some of the people all of the time, all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool mom....

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    5916 times
    My all-time favorite was a television show years ago that opened with a man lying on a towel on a beach at twilight. It switched to a beautiful woman in very skimpy bikini walking down the beach. Back to the man, back to the woman. She produces a 6" Desert Eagle and shoots the man showing zero recoil of the handgun. I wondered where she concealed the gun while I turned the channel.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.

Member #
    Liked
    4328 times
    Been watching Peter Gunn. I like the show except that professional killers always use silenced revolvers. Which of course nobody hears

I'll never forget the episode of The FBI files in which a twenty two pistol with a suppressor is so quiet the background music is loader than the shots. But then the narrator says the neighbors (through two sets of walls and across the street) heard the shots and called the police.
    Last edited by StuartJ; 07-07-2019 at 01:27 PM.
    jeepnut, bearcat6, Curt360 and 1 others like this.
    "I ask, who are the militia? They consist now of the whole people, except a few public officers.”
    -- George Mason, co-author of the 2nd Amendment

"Make yourself sheep and the wolves will eat you."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Member #
    Liked
    10163 times
    I love the Peter Gunn series but then I'm a vintage Mopar fan.

Member #
    Liked
    3260 times
    In the movie / video industry, anything is possible with any firearm. Ticket sales or advertising are the only connection to reality -- where is the money?
    bearcat6 and Injunbro like this.
    NRA Life Member, Air Force 1970 - 74, S&WCA # 2533 Inactive, S&WHF #366
    2019 New Years Resolution: No more gun purchases

Member #
    Liked
    8048 times
    I like the westerns set before the Civil War where they use '73 Colts and '92 Winchesters.
    jeepnut, 1av8r, Injunbro and 2 others like this.

Member #
    Liked
    52858 times
    Some authors are guilty of knowing nothing about gun they write about. I complained to one author in an email because he thought a Glock was a machine gun. He wrote back saying he had learned his lesson and he would not write about any more guns unless he had fired it himself. Most of them just flat don't care, if they can sell the book that's it.
    Injunbro and BonitaBob like this.
    I'm Mr Bad Example, take a look at me.

Member #
    Liked
    13599 times
    Well, Guy, not only Peter Gunn drove a Mopar. Mannix did too, and the guy inn "Vanishing Point". Bob
    When you want the BEST! Bob

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Links