Size:  159.4 KB

Name:  64585302_10157567521627755_2901161889172029440_n.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  172.4 KBName:  64566238_10157567521677755_1697650295498080256_n.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  190.7 KB

From Facebook
    powrguy and msharley like this.
    "I ask, who are the militia? They consist now of the whole people, except a few public officers.”
    -- George Mason, co-author of the 2nd Amendment

"Make yourself sheep and the wolves will eat you."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Member #
    Liked
    7769 times
    In Ohio, it's pretty much the same way, from the monsoons all Spring and into Summer. Probably will have sweetcorn imported here, or, maybe around Thanksgiving from local farms. I try to buy local sweetcorn but it won't be easy to find, and they will be pricing through the roof.
    msharley likes this.

Member #
    Between Elephant Breath MT. and Squaw's Ankle N.M.
    Liked
    20539 times
    That corn is what fattens up the beef that you eat during the winter too.
    Corn wasn't the only thing that drowned. A hamburger is gonna get expensive.
    jeepnut and msharley like this.
    The more I'm around people, the more I like sheep, and I hate sheep.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    18488 times
    Not just corn, remember, I'm a farmer too. I stated in some other posts that food prices, especially meat will spike in the fall. Expect the cost to double. Corn is but one small facet of the picture. Around here, probably 75% of the fields are fallow and weedy. I didn't plant anything and I've yet to cut my hayfields, I should be on second gut right now. Just too wet.

The issue with hybrid field corn is it's basically 85 day which means it needed to be in the ground by May 15th and Soybeans by June 15th in this region. Neither happened. The problem is, with late planted corn is if there is an early frost, it's done and if it isn't mature, it's worthless plus you cannot take it off if there is snow and the snow will break the stalks anyway., Beans can go a bit longer into cold weather, but again, combines do't work in the snow and if we stay in this weather pattern, we will have an abundance of snow.

Anyone who did manage to plant before the cut off will reap the rewards of high prices. I expect corn to at least be 10 bucks a bushel, beand to top 20 and new crop wheat to be in the 20 per bushel range as well. All that equates to high priced feed for stock so cattle farmers as well as swine and poultry are selling off their herds now because they won't be able to sustain them over the winter and all that will impact you directly at the grocery store. Sweet corn is but a minute speck far as I'm concerned. You'll see most of the sweet corn coming from Mexico and California this year and it will be stupid priced.

Our garden is loaded with taters and onions and sweet corn, brockley and cauliflower, all stuff we can put up in the root cellar for the winter. The garden is on well drained ground so precip isn't an issue, but you city dwellers and sub division people are going to get hit and hard this year if you want to eat.. Me, I can go out to the feedlot, pick out a steer, load it in the trailer and take it to the processor and have it butchered and have all the meat I need for the entire year. Between that and venison, we eat just fine.

Sure am glad I don't live in an urban area where I'd be beholden to the local grocery store. I can predict with almost absolute certainty that you will be paying dearly in the coming months to eat.
    Iggy, jeepnut, msharley and 1 others like this.
    Daryl......

'You can fool some of the people all of the time, all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool mom....

Member #
    Liked
    18488 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
    That corn is what fattens up the beef that you eat during the winter too.
    Corn wasn't the only thing that drowned. A hamburger is gonna get expensive.
    Most beef producers don't feed just corn anymore. The ration is a mixture of corn, other cereal grains, DDG and supplements unless the steers are field raised then they free range or get fed baled hay, usually in rounds.

I've pre sold all my hay except what I need here. I'd really like to cut it. Problem is, it's too wet.
    Iggy, jeepnut and msharley like this.
    Daryl......

'You can fool some of the people all of the time, all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool mom....

Member #
    Liked
    4481 times
    Lot of cattle lost to flooding. My brother-in-law lost some to the blizzard that happened while the flooding was going on in other parts of Nebraska. One farmer survived the flooding only have someone steal 36 cattle. Cattle rustlers do still exist.
    "I ask, who are the militia? They consist now of the whole people, except a few public officers.”
    -- George Mason, co-author of the 2nd Amendment

"Make yourself sheep and the wolves will eat you."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

ETF
    Member #
    Liked
    603 times
    You know what? I don't miss farming at all. Cattle farming that is.

We only ran 40 or 50 head but one year someone lifted 12 of them over a week-end. During the drought, one year we never got one cutting of hay. We spent all winter scrambling to buy hay from all over the country. We ended up feeding baled corn stalks from Nebraska. You can guess what that cost. We couldn't give the cattle away because of the drought the market was flooded with beef. Then there are the wet years when the cut grass molds in the pasture and you have to bale it because it is killing the second cutting or the ground is so wet that you can't get in to cut it in the first place. Nah! Being an ex cattleman is a lot less stressful and easier on the back.

Member #
    Between Elephant Breath MT. and Squaw's Ankle N.M.
    Liked
    20539 times
    Cattle ranching is the only legal form of gambling in Wyoming.

There was an old rancher that won the lottery. A reporter asked him what he was going to do with all that money. He said, "He reckoned he'd just keep on ranchin' until was gone."
    Last edited by Iggy; 06-22-2019 at 03:00 PM.
    Bob K, msharley, RdrBill and 1 others like this.
    The more I'm around people, the more I like sheep, and I hate sheep.

Member #
    Liked
    18488 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ETF View Post
    You know what? I don't miss farming at all. Cattle farming that is.

We only ran 40 or 50 head but one year someone lifted 12 of them over a week-end. During the drought, one year we never got one cutting of hay. We spent all winter scrambling to buy hay from all over the country. We ended up feeding baled corn stalks from Nebraska. You can guess what that cost. We couldn't give the cattle away because of the drought the market was flooded with beef. Then there are the wet years when the cut grass molds in the pasture and you have to bale it because it is killing the second cutting or the ground is so wet that you can't get in to cut it in the first place. Nah! Being an ex cattleman is a lot less stressful and easier on the back.
    One thing about how I do it (confinement operation is, unlike the out west ranch guy who posts on here, I don't have to deal with horses, don't have to chase them down, don't have to brand them (we ear tag). They never leave the confinement area which is about 1.5 acres and the meat stays tender because they don't run. I get top buck at the processors all the time plus I have my freezer meat out by the barn. This year may be an issue feeding them but I think I'll get by just fine, especially considering what the per pound hanging weight will be in the fall.
    msharley likes this.
    Daryl......

Member #
    Liked
    956 times
    It is indeed sad.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Links