Not a good yeatr fo farmers
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: Not a good yeatr fo farmers

Member #
    Liked
    12417 times
    I don't understand how these ranchers and farmers can keep going. Seems EVERY YEAR is a bad year, lately! How do they live......when they lose money every year? I know someone here said, that most of them don't know how to manage money.......and that's painfully true for most people! That's why so many people actually live below the poverty level, in this country! But....how can they live on nothing? I couldn't do it! I'm glad I saved for my retirement, so I don't have to take a cut in income. Bob
    When you want the BEST! Bob

ETF
    Member #
    Liked
    352 times
    Bob K, you can make money depending how you go about it, just not a lot of it, especially on the small, family type farms here in East Texas. Most everyone I know has a "real" job for themselves or their spouse in order to subsidize their income or they've retired to farming/ranching from some other profession. It's as much a lifestyle choice as anything else. As far as not being able to manage money, if you can't do that you will not be on the farm very long. It's all about balancing income against expenditure so you give the Government as little as possible. A good accountant helps.
    Last edited by ETF; 06-23-2019 at 01:55 AM.
    SidecarFlip and Bob K like this.

Member #
    Between Elephant Breath MT. and Squaw's Ankle N.M.
    Liked
    20009 times
    Ranching is kind of a roller coaster ride. One year's good, next one might be bad. We kinda figger if we have one real good year in 3 it averages out and we can keep goin'.
    Doin' what we love on the land we love kinda makes it OK.

There's a saying here in Wyoming, "Behind every successful rancher in Wyoming is a wife with a good job in town."

I'm a little worried about this year.. We've had wonderful moisture here this year. I'm afraid the grass is gonna git so tall that it will tickle the cow's bellies.. They are gonna spend so much time gigglin' that they will forget to eat and starve to death..Attachment 386057
    Last edited by Iggy; 06-23-2019 at 07:42 PM.
    RdrBill, Injunbro and BonitaBob like this.
    The more I'm around people, the more I like sheep, and I hate sheep.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    305 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
    Ranching is kind of a roller coaster ride. One year's good, next one i might be bad. We kinda figger if we have one real good year in 3 it averages out and we can keep goin'.
    Doin' what we love on the land we love kinda makes it OK.

There's a saying here in Wyoming, "Behind every successful rancher in Wyoming is a wife with a good job in town."

I'm a little worried about this year.. We've had wonderful moisture here this year. I'm afraid the grass is gonna git so tall that it will tickle the cow's bellies.. They are gonna spend so much time gigglin' that they will forget to eat and starve to death..Attachment 386057
    My brother has had a small farm for many years but his income was from a body shop he owned. He said "You have to have a good job to be a farmer".
    Bob K likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    7687 times
    We've had right at 4" of rain this morning. Lots of hay down in the area or baled and not yet picked up. I saw about 160 acres of small square bales sitting in the field last week. There ain't a moo on the planet worth hauling square bales to. I did a bunch of that when I was a kid. No more for me.

Member #
    Liked
    20009 times

Three inches of snow and raining yesterday morning at the ranch at Medicine Bow WY.
    Injunbro, scott and Bob K like this.

Member #
    Liked
    54772 times
    Dad said "Crime don't pay, neither does farming."
    BonitaBob and Bob K like this.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment & buy one" Jesus - Luke 22:36

ETF
    Member #
    Liked
    352 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Iggy View Post

Three inches of snow and raining yesterday morning at the ranch at Medicine Bow WY.
    That's amazing. I spent a couple of happy years working around Marbleton in SW Wyoming.

We've had lots of rain here in East Texas as well. Here we are almost at the end of June and I haven't had to turn on the lawn sprinklers at the house yet. All that sky water comes at a price though. The storms have been pretty fierce. The one in the middle of last week brought 4" rain and downed three trees at the house. I'm still clearing up that mess. It's hard work on this ol' body when the temperature is in the mid 90s and with all the humidity the heat index is about 105°.
    scott likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    7687 times
    Iggy, it looks like Medicine Bow has two seasons: winter and the 4th of July!
    Injunbro and Bob K like this.

Member #
    Liked
    20009 times
    Quote Originally Posted by scott View Post
    Iggy, it looks like Medicine Bow has two seasons: winter and the 4th of July!
    Yup, and the 4th ain't gawranteed!
    scott, BonitaBob and Injunbro like this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Links