Big rant on television programs
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Big rant on television programs

Member #
    Liked
    9323 times

Big rant on television programs

I quit watching regular broadcast TV 3 years ago because I was tired of every show shoving their liberal agenda down my throat and the many commercials at twice the sound level of the program that I was interested in. So it's been Netflix and Amazon Prime for me. Between these two I always manage to find something entertaining. So last night I see this special celebrating the old Laugh In show. Now I know the original show made fun of the politics of the day and was pretty anti-war but it was also pretty darn funny first and foremost. And they made fun of everybody and you never knew who would pop up on the show. Anybody from the president to John Wayne to Tiny Tim. It was all in good fun. So anyway I hit the play button last night and the list of guests is pretty odd and random and I don't recognize half the names but I decide to see where it goes. Well the first pair of hosts were Neil Patrick Harris and some female that I didn't recognize and they are trying to be funny but it's forced. Then NPH bills himself as an actor, dancer, singer, sword swallower......hmmmmm. Then the lady goes on to blurt out that back then the NRA had too much power just like in 2019. I never knew that the citizens could have too much power except maybe in a communist country. What I yelled at the TV would get me a lifetime ban here and then I exercised my right to watch something else. This stuff is really getting old. Sorry for the rant.
    jeepnut, WendyZXZ, Cliff and 6 others like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    19720 times
    The quality of typical network broadcast television in the USA is abysmal.

What passes for situation comedy today is so poorly acted, written and edited that it's not worth your time, even if the situations are clever.

The acting is wooden and not believable. The commercial interruptions are so invasive that even muting the audio is tiring.

Late night talk shows are liberal gush-a-thons, with such sophomoric humor that they are predictably boring. Colbert doing the "Trump Voice" isn't the least bit funny, but rather a sad commentary on how little creativity his team has.

Video on demand over the Internet is less costly and more focused and useful than cable television (except for live broadcasts) and may soon even include enough live events to supplant cable.

Many of these production companies become insulated self-worshiping isolated islands where eventually the leadership, like the deluded emperor, has no clothes. They feed on their initial success and lose their creativity, stringing along sponsors as long as possible until they are cancelled.

I worked in non-commercial television for 13 years, and saw much of this play out in their context. At least I could keep our news team on the "straight and narrow" by often calling them on poor 2nd Amendment related reporting before it aired, getting the producers to pull or delay stuff until it was accurate. Believe it our not, there were a number of gun rights people on our staff, and the producers actually wanted to be balanced. This is unlike NPR radio and their agenda fueled lies, or some of the national level producers at PBS.
    jeepnut, Cliff and Curt360 like this.
    Cheers! Marc

Check out my Gun Rights BLOG at: http://skilledshot.wordpress.com
    accipere facile, sed sumite! - Take it easy, but take it!
    NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol; Personal Protection Inside and Outside the Home; Rifle; Reloading: Chief RSO
    NC DOJ Concealed Carry Instructor; Appointed Member North Carolina Criminal Justice Information Network

Member #
    Liked
    3476 times
    I've been watching old crime dramas I'd naver seen before "The Naked City", "Decoy" and rewatching the original "Twilight Zone" and for comedy "Gilligan's Island"
    "I ask, who are the militia? They consist now of the whole people, except a few public officers.”
    -- George Mason, co-author of the 2nd Amendment

"Make yourself sheep and the wolves will eat you."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    20364 times
    I basically agree with the OP's point; a liberal agenda being pushed down our throat. I guess Hollywood believes they need to educate us deplorables. I am actually taken aback when I see a white couple or black couple on a show. I thought all Hollywood marriages were mixed race. SWAT even has an officer in a three way relationship.

We never watch a show live; DVR everything and fast forward through the commercials; you get about 41 minutes of show in a one hour show nowadays. We had Netflix but they are now much too "enlightened" for us so I dropped them; we picked them up when Longmire went there but that series is now over. They did introduce us to a Turkish show (Resurrection Ertrugal) but we watch that on Turkish TV now (via facebook); even though we don't speak Turk it is still better than anything network tv has to offer.

Amazon prime is our salvation now along with Acorn TV and some PBS shows from Britain.
    Last edited by K22; 05-15-2019 at 09:56 AM.
    powrguy and NWDave like this.

Duty then is the sublimest word in the English language. You should do your duty in all things. You can never do more, you should never wish to do less

Robert E. Lee

Member #
    Liked
    13339 times
    I watch EncoreWest....westerns and MeTv westerns. I NEVER watch any network news or sitcoms.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    20364 times
    Thanks for the reminder. The wife DVR's most of the westerns on Encore; Laramie, Wells Fargo, Big Valley, Virginian, Maverick, etc.
    powrguy likes this.

Duty then is the sublimest word in the English language. You should do your duty in all things. You can never do more, you should never wish to do less

Robert E. Lee

Member #
    Liked
    1219 times
    I recall when the regional VP of sales for U verse was canvassing the neighborhood trying go get everyone to switch to their service.

Cable guy: So what cable service do you have?

Me: None

Cable guy: So , here's why you want to switch to U verse- all the new shows...

Me: We don't have cable.

Cable guy: Whaa?

Me: Yeah, we don't watch shows on TV.

"The right to buy weapons is the right to be free." -A.E. van Vogt

Member #
    Liked
    4176 times
    Think the programs are bad? How about the commercials!!!!

I read in the news that drug commercials will soon have to show the price of the medication (Probably in the real fine print with all the disclaimers!?
    What they really need to change on all those medication commercials is all the people having so much fun and doing all the great happy things outdoors without a care in the World.
    I have also noticed in some commercials is same sex couples all happy as clams as everything is all "normal" now.
    Cliff likes this.
    NRA Certified RSO

Member #
    Liked
    53527 times
    What is this "TV" you refer to? Total Vacuum? Tremendous Vomit? We neither own nor want a propaganda machine.
    ShooterGranny likes this.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment & buy one" Jesus - Luke 22:36

Member #
    Liked
    3986 times
    I have only watched two new shows since 1999: Seinfeld and 24. I ain't interested in any of the new shows.
    I think after The Andy Griffith Show went off the air it all went downhill.
    Jim

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links