Why can't I eat as much as I used to?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree62Likes

Thread: Why can't I eat as much as I used to?

Member #
    Liked
    160 times
    If you don't eat as much in your 50s, wait until you get in your 70s like me and you will see a lot more differences. I don't eat nearly as much as I did but out of necessity, your physical activity will drop a lot. I started noticing a big difference in my early 60s.
    PandRFan and Curt360 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    3439 times
    Under active thyroid?
    Woof woof says the Watchmutt

Member #
    Liked
    263 times
    It is a given that as we age we can't hold as much food as when we were younger, and also our bodies do not absorb the nutrients as well either. I take more supplements now than I ever dreamed I would 20 years ago, but I know there are micro nutrients that my body must have. I do NOT take a multi vitamin! There is not one brand that has a decent balance of what our bodies actually need and most all of them have gross overdoses of several things that we do not need too much of.

Like the Welshman, I still enjoy cooking wonderful meals. Just smaller ones with fewer side dishes. We eat a lot more soups and one dish casseroles now than we ever used to do. Hubby eats anything I put on the table and always thanks me for a nice meal, even when it's just a turkey burger in a spelt English muffin "bun."

My weight has been constant for the past 12 years, after doing the yo-yo thing for most of my life, gaining and losing 30 or more pounds many different times. Then I changed my diet to only food that is actually healthy for MY own body. That extra weight disappeared on its own and stayed off. Amazing, it was.
    PandRFan and Curt360 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    214 times
    Slowing metabolism. Unless you're blessed w/superior genes it hits first in your late 30's and you'll see a dip about every 10 years. There are meds and prescription supplements to help if it's a thyroid or hormonal thing but diet adjustments and regular exercise are the best remedy. You're looking at a constant effort from here on out so get used to it.

I recommend a thorough physical exam with blood work. Have them check your testosterone levels. Testasterone replacement therapy... if needed, can work wonders. Other than that- moderate animal fats, sugars and starch. Eat lots of lean protein, fruits and veggies. Eat to stay healthy, don't overdo it. Keep alcohol down to maybe a once a week couple drinks. Stay active, keep moving. And for God's sake, if you smoke... quit.
    PandRFan, Bob K and Curt360 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    3932 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
    Had a physical lately? Colonoscopy? Bloodwork? EKG? SEX?????
    I haven't been to a doctor in years. I subscribe to the Rafe Hollister view of doctors. He was the moonshiner on the Andy Griffith Show. He said "When I was born I had my Momma, when I die I'll have the undertaker.....I don't see any reason to mess it up in between".
    Jim
    Thewelshm likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    9408 times
    Weight is the enemy. When you are 20 nobody thinks about being 60. When you hit 60 you think a lot about being 80. There are NO old fat people. They are mostly dead. That's a really good reason not to be fat.The only people that need to be fat are Sumo wrestlers and I aint one of those...
    lawdog, PandRFan, Bob K and 1 others like this.
    S&W. Insurance for life. Get busy living,or get busy dying..

Member #
    Liked
    14926 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MWAG View Post
    I’m 55 too. Our metabolism slows down as we age and what we eat takes longer to burn. That’s why my pants seem to be shrinking : (
    What gets me my belts are shrinking.
    PandRFan likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    13343 times
    Quote Originally Posted by PandRFan View Post
    I haven't been to a doctor in years. I subscribe to the Rafe Hollister view of doctors. He was the moonshiner on the Andy Griffith Show. He said "When I was born I had my Momma, when I die I'll have the undertaker.....I don't see any reason to mess it up in between".
    Jim
    I thought that as well until a routine exam found a shadow on my liver and then all hell broke loose. I'm here to tell anyone that when you hit 50 (man or woman) it's time to start keeping tabs on your engine and I don't mean car engine either. None of us are immortal and take my word for it, cancer is a helluva gruesome way to die. Cancer is a silent killer. I had no clue whatsoever. No aches, no pain, no weight loss, nothing. Life was good and then all of a sudden it was NO GOOD.

Men especially can contract colon or rectal or prostrate cancer and it's easy to detect (blood test) and easy to treat in it's early stages. Once it gains a foothold, it get progressively harder to treat and if left untreated or undetected too long, it becomes untreatable and the end game is death.

I met a number of untreatable cancer patients, both men and women and it's not anything to take lightly. I'll always remember this one gal, pretty blonde, nice figure, nice personality. She was sitting next to me, we were both waiting for a blood draw. I had to have my vitals checked before each infusion, chemo destroys your white blood cells and depletes certain minerals in your system so they have to monitor that closely, after all it is poison. Anyway, we were sitting there and got to talking, people who have cancer tend to interact with others with the same affliction, so we are talking. I'd seen here there before, you do infusion on a strict schedule so you see the same people all the time.

Anyway, we are talking about out=r issue and she looks at me and flat tells me she's terminal. No remorse, no tears, nothing. She had accepted her fate and was enjoying the time she had left. Never saw her again and I have to presume she is no longer with us.

I'd say ( while I cannot substantiate it) that at least 30% of people diagnosed with any form of cancer do not survive it and the chances of survival become much less, the longer it goes undiagnosed which is why I adamantly emphasise that after 50, keep tabs on your engine. It's been working a long time and it may have issues you aren't aware of that you need to be aware of before those issues end your life.

It's easy to get a blood test and easy to determine your CEA level which is the level of antibodies that fight cancer cells in your body. If your CEA is below 5, you should be safe but it still advisable to have a colonoscopy performed. It's an easy procedure and you are sleeping anyway. Colorectal cancer is the number one killer of men and women over 50 in the country. Something to think about.

Having been there and did that and survived (by the grace of God). I urge everyone to get checked, especially if you are an old fart like me.
    Daryl......

'You can fool some of the people all of the time, all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool mom....

Member #
    Liked
    3932 times
    I appreciate the information, Daryl.
    As I said, I never go to the doctor. I am rarely sick. I will admit, I smoke quite a bit. (Leave me alone, Missus Fan and my Mom holler at me all the time about it).
    However I donate plasma twice a week, and they prick my finger first to make sure I don't have too high cholesterol. (I think). My question is would that finger prick recognize cancer?
    Thanks,
    Jim

Member #
    Liked
    11702 times
    I don't like getting old, now....as I will be 70 on Friday. I am considering taking a Testosterone supplement, to keep me going strong. There must be something to it.....it seems to be popular. I will talk to my new doctor first to get her opinion. BTW, how do they check your testosterone levels? This may be uncomfortable to discuss with any doctor......but especially a young woman! I will see her in a week.

I changed from my old doctor, because he doesn't seem to care about the side effects (Diarehea) from a drug, Metformin, to control my Diabetes. He kept insisting that I stay on it. I went to a newer female doctor (same place) about this problem, and she put me on a new drug. Truilicity comes in a syringe, that you inject once per week. I've been on it 3 weeks, and my life is much improved. I am going to fire my old doctor, since he wants to stay on the same drug, that is causing considerable discomfort in my life. I am fed up!!!!

We shall see how this all turns out......but I am confident. A lot of problems surface as you get older......it is part of getting old. You have to be willing to face up to them.......and DO something about it!!!! Bob
    Last edited by Bob K; 04-15-2019 at 07:01 PM.
    When you want the BEST! Bob

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Links