Vintage Leather Holsters
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: Vintage Leather Holsters

Member #
    Liked
    372 times

Thumbs up Vintage Leather Holsters

How about a thread to show off our Vintage Leather Holsters? I know the trend today is toward the more practical Plastic holsters, designed for the more practical plastic pistols, but Some of us old Poops, and some younger ones also, really appreciate the skills and designs of the old time holster makers, and the present time makers also, that used, and still use leather to make works of art in making holsters. Here is one that I recently acquired for one of my S&W 83/8" bbl. revolvers.
    Sut

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    37272 times
    Howdy Folks:

Sut, that's a great looking rig (especially for that looOOoong barrel).........and I think this is a wonderful idea for a thread...........thanks for coming up with it.

Indeed, some holster makers and saddle makers (leather workers) can produce real works of "art" with their craft and I've always appreciated that skill.

Here's a rig that was already old when I came across it back in the 1960's. A friend of mine on the Rez had it in the bottom of a tackle box where it had layed since his dad put it there many years prior and he couldn't remember when or where he had obtained it. They thought it was kinda humorous that I liked it so much and they gave it to me.

Indeed, it's a bit too fancy for me to actually strap it on........I would feel like a real greenhorn tenderfoot with something like that hanging from my hip......just something about it caught my young eye (IMO it's beautiful). I've stored it away and considered it a "treasure" over all these years.

Talk about being a "rhinestone cowboy"......chuckle Name:  IM005433SAHolsterFancy.jpg
Views: 1954
Size:  95.0 KB

I can't remember exactly where, but sometime many years ago I also came across this one Name:  IM005435SAHolster.jpg
Views: 1900
Size:  95.9 KB

BTW, the above two rigs both fit Colt SAA type handguns.

This one, I did use many years ago. It carried a .38 S&W top break.........and later, it would occasionally carry a K-38 (that's why it has two sets of strap snaps) Name:  IM005436TBHolster.jpg
Views: 1776
Size:  95.3 KB

Yep, they're not plastic and they're not modern.........we can't call em "tactical" either.........but, whatchathink...........?

Regards All,

Geezer
    Widetrack55, FlaRon and msharley like this.
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride! ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Member #
    Liked
    372 times

Didn't think the thread would die so soon. Here is an unusual one, a Bucheimer Made to fit a S&W .38 hammerless (Lemon Squeezer). I liked the holster so well that I set out to find and buy a gun to fit it, and couldn't find out what it fit. Later I found that it fit one of my Lemon Squeezers perfect.
    Sut
    Oldgungeezer and msharley like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    10754 times
    I don't have any old leather around but the biggest share of mine is from El Paso Saddlery. I do like their stuff.
    I have bid on some vintage leathern on e-bay but was always a day late and a dollar short on bids. Any tips on what to look for in vintage leather?

My friends call me 'Mick'
    Save the Second Amendment, take a kid shooting!

Jim
    Member #
    Liked
    1000 times
    All Nice holsters posted so far!

I also like VINTAGE (old) holsters. This is one of my favorites for a Colt snub nose. A old Alessi from the early 70's IMHO old school at it's best.

Member #
    Liked
    372 times
    Hey, Mick:
    My advice on what to look for in Vintage Holstersis, whatever flops your mop, fits your guns, inovative design, good workmanship, and condition. I can think of no other reason to collect Vintage holsters. It gives me a good feeling when I find a good one, have cleaned it up, and am holding, and admiring it. You might have guessed that I like the basketweave, and tooled ones.
    Sut

Member #
    Liked
    3157 times
    I love vintage holsters! So much more character than the new plastic stuff!

I've got a couple that I really like. This old Hunter came with the Model 36 I picked up a couple of years ago. Not a very good picture of it though.........

And this is an older Smith & Wesson branded one that I carry the SP101 in..........

And this older Safariland that houses this older Security Six..............

And maybe not vintage, but without a doubt my favorite of the whole bunch. Thanks again Mick!
    Last edited by LeMat; 02-02-2012 at 01:40 AM.
    Oldgungeezer and msharley like this.

Member #
    Liked
    372 times
    That is what I'm talking about. LeMat,That well used, well taken care of patena on that Safariland that holds the Security Six is hard to come by or describe,but gives you a good feeling. Don't think a plastic holster of the same age would do much in that respect. The New holsters by the great makers also flop my mop. Here is one of that type holding a S&W mod. 27.

Member #
    Liked
    1931 times
    Name:  standard.jpg
Views: 2991
Size:  63.6 KBRoy Baker the Pancake Maker got a lot of attention with his version of the pancake holster. Name:  standard.jpg
Views: 2885
Size:  60.9 KB
    Last edited by jimg11; 02-02-2012 at 07:41 PM.
    Jim

Firearms safety is no accident.
    S&WHF #242
    S&WCA #2059
    NRA Patron Life

Member #
    Liked
    372 times
    You Folks are causing me to drool all over my keyboard. Here is a Hunter holster holding a S&W .38/.44. Wish I knew more about the stag grips that have eight hash marks, five on one grip, and three on the other. the .38/.44 is a 1930, one year older than I am, and the holster?
    Sut

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Links