28 gauge shotguns....
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Gizamo

28 gauge shotguns....

I've had a few 410's over the years. Great for limb bacon and the occassional rabbit. But I'm not much of a expert with one for things on the fly. Been hunting with 20 gauges over the years, but always with the larger frame size...

There are a few 28 gauge side by sides being made on the small frame size. Most weigh just over 5lbs.

Just wonderin' out loud if any of our forum members have hunted much with one. They are scarce as hen's teeth here in Maine...and always pricey.

Steve

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Re: 28 gauge shotguns....

I'll bet you've got one you're just itching to show us.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Seems like CZ makes or made a side by each, and the Ruger Red Label 28 is a thing of beauty. I am such a lousey wing shot I stick with the 12.
    "Home is the sailor, home from the sea, and the hunter home from the hill." Robert Louis Stevenson 1850-1894

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Gizamo

Yep Don,

You and me both. If I get one on the wing.... It's a good day. That's why the 410's never Hung around for long. Was wondering how much better the 28 woild be on partridge, and such?

Member #
    Liked
    14601 times

i guess...... you've got a hankerin' for a 28 Ga., or you wouldn't have brought it up. While it's generally lighter than a 20 Ga., I have always looked for the lightest 20 Ga. shotgun that I could get. My Ithaca 37 is just 5 1/2#, and my Savage M-220B single shot is about 5#. If I shoot high brass #6 loads for pheasants, or shotgun slugs for deer, they kick pretty good. (like a 12 ga.)

The cost of 28 ga. shells tends to be high. (and not available in most of the cheaper places.....like Walmart.) I've always felt that birds should be shot in flight.....not on the ground. This, undoubtedly, accounts for my poor performance on Partridge, but there aren't many around to shoot at, anyway.
    (I used to flush Partridge when Pheasant hunting stocked birds in the fields around here, years ago.) Nowadays, I rarely see them anymore.....just when hiking in the Berkshires......when all I carry is a .357 revolver. Bob
    When you want the BEST! Bob

Member #
    Liked
    10909 times

Never had one, never wanted one but somehow, I ended up with a box of 28 gauge shells. They are strange critters, too small to be big and too big to be small.
    I do have a nephew that always gets more birds than the rest of us 12 gauge shooters using his older Winchester pump 20. I think he would do well with a 28, or a handfull of rocks. Saw him hit a 9" paper plate 3 for 3 from a measured 90 yards with his bow one time,,
    Back to the original, with practice/use, I think a 28 would be awful nice to carry instead of a larger double
    My friends call me 'Mick'
    Save the Second Amendment, take a kid shooting!

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Steve,
    I think some sort of open country birds would be necessary for the smaller gauges. Seems to me, half the time I let loose at a ruffed grouse the bum is already behind some foliage. The extra shot in a 12 is what makes that sort of shot work... Thats my story and I'm sticking to it.
    "Home is the sailor, home from the sea, and the hunter home from the hill." Robert Louis Stevenson 1850-1894

Member #
    Liked
    812 times

I shot a 28ga. for a few years and didn't become totally enamored with that gauge. I seemed to always be craving a denser pattern or 5 more effective yards when I had it with me, so I went back to my larger gauges for the most part. I did hang onto my grandad's fine double .410 for tank-shooting evening doves, though.

Better buy a reloader, too. Quality 28ga. ammo in the shot sizes you want are expensive and even harder to find than quality .410 ammo.

28ga. is slightly ballistically superior to the 3" 410. The 28ga. bore is perfect for delivering a 5/8-3/4 oz. payload, but I'd rather have a nice light 5-6# 20ga. double loaded with 3/4oz. shot instead.... Then, I could shoot 7/8oz., 1oz. and even 1 1/8oz. loads in a pinch. I load 3/4oz. shells for my 6# Parker 20ga. all the time - and these loads are faster and hit harder than comparable 3/4oz. 28ga. loads.

xtm

Gizamo

Thanks All....

I ended up buying a CZ BobWhite in 28ga. Very impressed with the small frame and the way it shoulders. Guess time will tell if it's a keeper or not. I'll try to get it out hunting this week and give you a field report...

You guys nailed it on the price of shells. High wall brass is really expensive. I managed to find some Federal Game and Target for $12 a box.

Member #
    Liked
    393 times

I too have a fondness for smaller gauges and light weight shotguns. I like the fast handling and the noticable lack of recoil to get off a quicker second or third shot. It's also nice that you can carry several boxes of shells and not be weighted down. I tend to carry an old Remington 11-48 in .410 but lately it's been a Ruger Red Label in 28 gauge. The .28 is a little cheaper to shoot vs. the .410. (3-inch). If you reload, the .410 and 28 ga. are shells that you can save a lot of money on here in reloading. For purchasing shells, I found bandpusa.com to be the best prices on 28 gauge shells. The last time I purchased the 28 gauge Extra Rossi shells from them, I caught them on sale and paid $90/flat and that included delivery to my home. The Extra Rossi is a good bird shell. I like the Fiocchi nickel plated #5 or #6 shot shells for rabbit or squirrels. The nickeled shot seems to penetrate better. Unfortunately, these are now about $15/box (almost the same price as .410's). Winchester has a one ounce load in 28 gauge but they are about $25/box around here and there is no way I would pay that price for them. If you are planning to reload, go ahead and purchase AA's or the Remington STS. From what I've read, these are the best cases to reload. I load .410's on occasion but not the 28 yet.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links