"New Gun" and a nd excellent Range trip
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: "New Gun" and a nd excellent Range trip

Member #
    Liked
    71939 times

"New Gun" and a nd excellent Range trip

Started out with oldest Grandson to range to practice for steel shoot. Had been talking about Long Range shooting for Derek (Grandson). Well I had the Parker bros Double Barrel and he had wanted it for a long time. so the shotgun went to him and this Harrington & Richardson Model 12 and scope and some boot came home with us. Derek shot it at 40 yards (max distance on indoor range, and was drilling the center out of the bullseye consistently. Bolt action is the smoothest I have ever felt and the trigger is smooth as glass. He loved it Now plan on outdoor range when weather better and school out for the 200 yard range and then practice on the distances used in the competitions. I think the rifle is at least 20 pounds or at least feels like it.

Took some othe guns with us too and one was my 627-5 that has not been out for about 7 years, as was my bowling pin gun then. Well it forgot nothing and was amazed how good the trigger was on it. Took about four shots to remember the break point so could pull trigger till just before fires then steady aim. I know I am doing it but seems like continuous pull. The target was at 15 yards with 357 mag wadcutters I load. Just an overall excellent day. Should have put cardboard on back as target very light paper. few errant ones at beginning but then settled in. this was 10 moon clips of 8.

Name:  thumbnai24l.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  158.5 KB
    Name:  thumbnail22.jpg
Size:  62.2 KB
    Name:  thumbnail23.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  63.5 KB

Name:  S&W 627-5 (1).JPG
Size:  412.3 KB
    Name:  thumbnail.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  43.5 KB
    Regards,
    Rodney

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead."

Thomas Paine

Member #
    Liked
    2172 times
    Sounds and looks like a great day with good guns and good company. Thanks for sharing it with us.
    Nice target!
    Boriqua, jeepnut, Curt360 and 1 others like this.

Member #
    Liked
    101034 times
    Glad you got out to the range to spend some quality time with your grandson. Great shooting with some fine firearms and thanks for the pics and report.
    Boriqua, jeepnut and Oldgungeezer like this.
    I keep a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take an ass whoopin'!

"Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself."
    George Washington

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    2647 times
    SWEET!!!
    jeepnut and Oldgungeezer like this.

Member #
    Liked
    7701 times
    I just love range days!
    Oldgungeezer and jeepnut like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    27439 times
    There have been some very high grade .22LR rifles produced over the years.

I'm always on the outlook for one of the European (mostly German) made K98 trainers. The ones that I've seen have some outstanding smooth actions. Closest thing I have is a WW-II vintage Springfield (US governmenet) Armory M1922 rifle. Sweet action.

I don't recall if you've shared your grandson's age, but regardless his target shows that he "gets" marksmanship.
    Cheers! Marc

Check out my Gun Rights BLOG at: http://skilledshot.wordpress.com
    accipere facile, sed sumite! - Take it easy, but take it!
    NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol; Personal Protection Inside and Outside the Home; Rifle; Reloading: Chief RSO
    NC DOJ Concealed Carry Instructor; Appointed Member North Carolina Criminal Justice Information Network

Member #
    Liked
    8844 times
    HoooBoy, a model 12 H&R. That one may change your WHOLE concept of what H&R was capable when they put their mind to gun making.
    I used to think Mossberg 44s targets were a big/heavy gun for a .22 . Now after getting a model 12 I know,,,,, Mossberg 44s were made for small children. The model 12 H&R is one huge man sized beastie !
    The stock I can only assume was 4x6 block of very plain wood and it was a challenge to see how little of it could be removed and to still be able to call it a rifle stock . What a chunky dude. I keep threatening mine with a wood rasp .
    But make no mistake , it was cloned from a Winchester 52 and it will shoot.

It's probably U.S. PROPERTY marked under the scope mount and the last time I checked you could locate and download an owners manual ( with trigger adjusting info.) on the interweb. Let me know if you cannot locate.
    Last edited by needsmostuff; 03-19-2020 at 10:16 AM.
    jeepnut, Oldgungeezer and RdrBill like this.
    Where am I going ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and why am I in this handbasket ?

You know my uncle , he's as honest as me . An I'm as honest as a government man can be.

Member #
    Liked
    71939 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mrerick View Post
    There have been some very high grade .22LR rifles produced over the years.

I'm always on the outlook for one of the European (mostly German) made K98 trainers. The ones that I've seen have some outstanding smooth actions. Closest thing I have is a WW-II vintage Springfield (US governmenet) Armory M1922 rifle. Sweet action.

I don't recall if you've shared your grandson's age, but regardless his target shows that he "gets" marksmanship.
    Derek will be 16 next Saturday. And he wants to really get into the competition.
    Last edited by jeepnut; 03-15-2020 at 09:25 PM.
    Oldgungeezer likes this.
    Regards,
    Rodney

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead."

Thomas Paine

Member #
    Liked
    71939 times
    Quote Originally Posted by needsmostuff View Post
    HoooBoy, a model 12 H&R. That one may change your WHOLE concept of what H&R was capable when they put their mind to gun making.
    I used to think Mossberg 44s targets were a big/heavy gun for a .22 . Now after getting a model 12 I know,,,,, Mossberg 44s were made for small children. The model 12 H&R is one huge man sized beastie !
    The stock I can only assume was 4x6 block of very plain wood and it was a challenge to see how little of it had to be removed and to still be able to call it a rifle stock . What a chunky dude. I keep threatening mine with a wood rasp .
    But make no mistake , it was cloned from a Winchester 52 and it will shoot.

It's probably U.S. PROPERTY marked under the scope mount and the last time I checked you could locate and download an owners manual ( with trigger adjusting info.) on the interweb. Let me know if you cannot locate.
    Thanks, got the manual tonight and I also have the 44 but you are right, this gun is serious about accuracy. My gunsmith friend used this gun in competition and he said he wrote his name on the target at 150 yards. he did say was more accurate with the subsonic 22 LR. With the Federal Target we had was amazing.
    needsmostuff likes this.
    Regards,
    Rodney

Thomas Paine

Member #
    Liked
    8652 times
    Looks like a nice rifle and a fun day.
    That said, I don't think I would trade a Parker shotgun for any .22 ever made. We all have different likes and dislikes! Enjoy the rifle.
    jeepnut likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links