Like Tree71Likes

Thread: Marlin Model 39-A

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    36843 times

Marlin Model 39-A

I guess we can never have too many .22LR's........they're relatively inexpensive to shoot and a whole lotta fun.

This Golden 39-A wandered into my stable yesterday. It's "JM" marked, topped with a Simmons 3-9 optic and is almost flawless (one scratch in the rear stock) but missing the small plastic rear stock dot/plug.

I really enjoy lever guns.....

Name:  MarlinGolden39ASimmons3-9B_03.JPG
Views: 22
Size:  1.73 MB

Name:  MarlinGolden39ASimmons3-9B_05.JPG
Views: 24
Size:  2.03 MB
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride! ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    36843 times
    I just found a replacement dot/plug (they call it a "Bullseye) on eBay for $10 Bucks.........I'll have it next week.
    RdrBill, Injunbro, Golphin and 3 others like this.
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride! ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Member #
    Liked
    10337 times
    Very nice. I'm really wanting one of these but the prices around here are a bit optimistic for my tastes.
    scott, jeepnut and Oldgungeezer like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    637 times
    In my mind that's one of the finest, and longest running in production 22 rifles made in America, or it was. Remington's takeover saw an end to that. But nevertheless, the rifles just ooze quality when holding one. The one I currently have is a 1960 production, with some normal wear & tear, but it still feels tight & right, and with good ammo (and good eyesight when I had it), no squirrel within sight was safe from it. They are well built and well balanced rifles, and if one didn't actually know they were holding a pip-squeak 22 LR, would think they were holding a centerfire rifle, and were equipped to go deer hunting.

You didn't mention what it set you back, but they hold their value quite well too. The "bullseye" that you say is missing, is easy to find online and simple to replace. I used to keep 2-3 in the freezer, because many folks thought that was where you were supposed to drill a hole for a sling swivel. Puttin the bullseye in the freezer makes it easier to install. Just a dab of Elmer's will hold it in place. If it is proud of the stock once it bottoms out, tape the wood stock around it and either file or use sandpaper to get it back to level with the wood.

Congratulations on a fine looking example!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Member #
    Liked
    60769 times
    Congrats on a very fine 22. I got my 39A in 1968 for 60.00 and My brother using now for Armadillos on his land. Has about 100 to its name over about 8 years.
    Injunbro, Leo918 and Oldgungeezer like this.
    Regards,
    Rodney

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead."

Thomas Paine

Member #
    Liked
    6482 times
    Very nice looking rifle
    Oldgungeezer and jeepnut like this.

Member #
    Liked
    1240 times
    Very nice! My dad has one thing that I care about, a 60’s vintage 39A that was the first real gun I shot. He knows that it is the one thing I want when the time comes. Luckily he’s a very healthy 73, and I doubt I’ll see it anytime soon, which suits me just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    jeepnut and Oldgungeezer like this.
    Dave

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    4665 times
    I gave my younger son a Marlin 39A. I liked the take down procedure that allow the barrel to be cleaned from the chamber end of the barrel. We also have a Winchester 9422 that we will give to his son one of these days. When we originally acquired the 39A most places stocked shorts as the 39A would chamber S-L&LR. On the other hand the Winchester 9422 later production samples eliminated shorts and were stampede L-LR. There was a problem with lifting from the magazine tube and thus chambering shorts.
    jeepnut and Oldgungeezer like this.

Member #
    Liked
    25 times
    Best 22 rifle ever made I think. Then again I am a Marlin fan. I own 2 one is a 1945 that someone drilled and scoped at some point as it was made before they were tapped for mounting scopes. The other is a 39 Carbine with a old Redfield peep sight made in 1966.
    kraynky, jeepnut and Oldgungeezer like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    7867 times
    Congrats on the Golden 39A!

I had been lusting after a 39A for a long time, I gave up since they don't come up for sale very often in my area, and I bought a Henry Golden Boy. And then, wouldn't you know it... a 39A Century Limited shows up on CA gun forum.

I'm an absolute push over for an octagon barrelled rifle (hence the Golden Boy), so I was absolutely thrilled to get the Marlin, with it's octagon barrel and a straight grip stock.

Name:  Marlin 39 Century Ltd.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  151.2 KB
    Conrad

NRA Endowment Member
    S&WCA #1830
    S&WHF #222
    Hopeless lifetime S&W Junkie
    Chronic "Marlinitis" sufferer

Political correctness: The doctrine fostered by the delusional liberals or the naïve, which attempts to promote the ideology that a turd is something that can be picked up and safely handled from the clean end.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links