• 3 Post By jeepnut
  • 2 Post By Golphin
  • 2 Post By WendyZXZ

Thread: Old Ranger 22 riflefrom the Pawn Shop

Member #
    Liked
    60998 times

Old Ranger 22 riflefrom the Pawn Shop

Couple weeks ago got this old 22 from Pawn Shop down the road. There was a not so above board gun dealer in Atlanta area and ATF closed him down. Well this little gun came from him. Well this little 22 had been touched by Bubba. The bolt worked good but took superman to remove magazine. Found that this was originally a two piece trigger guard magazine frame in metal. Now plastic one piece and was not cut right (had to do it yourself. A lot of filing and it works now till right parts become available.
    It is a Ranger, Model 103-2 made same as Marlin Model 81, in the 1930s. Barrel is sharp and very clean. Now will plan a range trip for some of these oldies and think they will be fun. No Serial number so is earlier than 1968. Not marked with retail chain but does anyone know which store chains would have sold Ranger? Update on some research. Appears the Ranger was made for Sear & Roebuck before WW II as Ranger was a Sears brand then. This one being 103-2 correlates to the Marlin 81 made 1937 to 1940.
    Name:  thumbnai1l.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  108.0 KB
    Name:  thumbnail2.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  110.4 KB
    Name:  thumbna3il.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  60.3 KB
    Last edited by jeepnut; 10-21-2019 at 01:31 PM.
    Regards,
    Rodney

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead."

Thomas Paine

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    36847 times
    Looks like a lot of fun, Rodney.......................I can't remember what chain stores sold "Ranger" guns and who manufactured them. I just took a quick Google search and didn't find the answer either ("Ranger" is a common name for multi gun related things).
    jeepnut, Injunbro and Leo918 like this.
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride! ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Member #
    Liked
    60998 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldgungeezer View Post
    Looks like a lot of fun, Rodney.......................I can't remember what chain stores sold "Ranger" guns and who manufactured them. I just took a quick Google search and didn't find the answer either ("Ranger" is a common name for multi gun related things).
    Well, Bill, doing more research on it (which is a lot of fun) I did find out that was manufactured by Marlin for Sears and in 1930s. So much older than I thought but in much better shape for that age. Thanks.
    Injunbro, Oldgungeezer and Leo918 like this.
    Regards,
    Rodney

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead."

Thomas Paine

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    32 times
    Looks like it is pretty good shape from the pictures. Should be a fun one to fix and shoot.
    Oldgungeezer and jeepnut like this.

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    39494 times
    Looks like a fun little rifle!
    Oldgungeezer and jeepnut like this.
    Cum Deo et victricibus armis

Links