• 2 Post By Mac23
  • 1 Post By jeepnut
  • 2 Post By nmshieldshooter

Thread: Bad break

Member #
    Liked
    6861 times

Bad break

Guess this is as good a place as any to bemoan an issue I had with a Weatherby XXII I was selling. A couple of months ago at an auction, I went a little nuts and bought an Italian made (Beretta?) Weatherby clip fed .22 . I already had a tube feed version that I really liked, but the Italian job caught my eye. One trip to the range showed it to be a good shooter with the various brands I tried except Federal Auto Match which is usually very good. It did require me to only load 9 rounds in the mag for always reliable feeding. Shortly after that I decided to sell the Weatherby to fund something else. Ended up working a deal with a guy in North Ga. who did not want to drive all the way for a FTF, so I was going to ship to his dealer. I separated the action and stock so it would fit in a less obvious box and was going to wipe everything down before packing. then I noticed a very obvious crack at the toe of the stock that started at the lower butt plate screw. It went all the way through and had a wedge of the stock almost ready to come off. Apparently at some point in time, that screw had been tightened too much and stressed the stock. Steel butt plate BTW. I am just glad it did not happen during the shipping to the would be buyer. I sent him a check today and closed out the deal. I have glued and clamped the stock and it will leave a thin crack on both sides that looks kinda like a 2 inch scratch in the finish. I think I will have to strip and refinish at least the butt to make it any better. No hint of a crack or any issues when I bought the rifle and it has not been dropped etc. Guess it was just time Bummer though. Pics are from right after purchase.
    Name:  WeatherbyXXII mag-003.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  119.8 KBName:  WeatherbyXXII mag-002.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  226.0 KB
    nmshieldshooter and Cliff like this.

Member #
    Liked
    60771 times
    Just can't like it as that is something none of expect or want. At very least you have repaired and refinished then will still be a good shooter and could still be sold or just made your truck gun. That is very unfortunate but still useful gun.
    Curt360 likes this.
    Regards,
    Rodney

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead."

Thomas Paine

Member #
    Liked
    7771 times
    Bad break. Yeah. Real bad break. Sincerely. bruce.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    6482 times
    At least you were honest about it.
    Injunbro and jeepnut like this.

Links