1892 Winchester model 92 help neede!
Like Tree19Likes
  • 11 Post By daddioholmes
  • 5 Post By Oldgungeezer
  • 1 Post By WendyZXZ
  • 2 Post By timetripper

Thread: 1892 Winchester model 92 help neede!

Member #
    Liked
    34 times

1892 Winchester model 92 help neede!

Looked at a couple of safes full today from a native tucked away in the mountains. In the back, tucked away was a 1892 Winchester model 92, .44 W.C.F. In pretty sweet condition. Ser# 55*** (appears to be a very faint 0 for last digit). Input?! What should I be looking at to match parts, bore is ex condition. Action good. Trying to figure a fair offer. Thanks in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images        

Member #
    Liked
    4679 times
    Maybe Marc will chime in on the value.
    Cliff

Member #
    Liked
    998 times
    Based on the s/n it was manufactured in 1894.

That's a nice looking rifle considering it's age. I suspect that somewhere in its life it has been re-blued, but don't know for sure. Normally, for a Winchester 125 years old most of the bluing would be gone and replaced by a brown patina. Could be original, though. Just looks almost too good.

Nice find. Hope you can get it for a decent price.

Hector
    Last edited by HectorFuego; 10-04-2019 at 01:34 AM.
    If you can't kill it with a 30-06 you ain't in North America.
    The first rule of intelligent tinkering is, "Save all the pieces."
    "It'll feel better when it quits hurtin'."
    Every keystroke is an opportunity for an error.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    8440 times
    I don't know a lot about old 92s and cannot really help with pricing but I think that vintage is probably a Black Powder frame. If you are planning on using and shooting it that may flavor your decision.
    Bye the way , what's up with the top edge of the receiver on either side of the bolt in the last picture ? looks like it got beat on.
    P S . 92s are GREAT, FUN guns.
    Where am I going ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and why am I in this handbasket ?

You know my uncle , he's as honest as me . An I'm as honest as a government man can be.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    36845 times
    Hi daddioholmes and Welcome to the friendly forum.

I like Winchester's and wish I could be help in valuing that Model '92. I just had a look on GubBroker and found Nodel 92's all over the price board........none-the-less an interesting and informative exercise.

I recently acquired this octagon barreled '92 in 32 WCF that was refinished many years ago. The bore is decent with strong rifling and a few dark spots. I didn't purchase it for cash money, instead traded for it. However, FYI, the sellers price tag of this Winny was $1100.....

Name:  Winchester1892RifleOctBar32WCF-01.JPG
Views: 30
Size:  2.46 MB

Name:  Winchester1892RifleOctBar32WCF-02.JPG
Views: 29
Size:  2.40 MB

Hope that helps,

Geezer
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride! ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    39465 times
    That is a nice looking old Winchester!
    Oldgungeezer likes this.
    Cum Deo et victricibus armis

Member #
    Liked
    4302 times
    I traded into a model 92 in 32-20 two years ago that had most of the original finish faded away into a nice patina. The owner was asking $1100 cash but he swapped me for my model 27 even up.
    From what I've seen lately, any old Winnie 92 from before the WWI with most of the original finish present is going to sell for around $2000. Refinished or finish worn examples sell for about half that or less.
    This past summer there was a refinished Model 92 44-40 on a local trading board that had it's price drop to $850 before the add was pulled.
    The 92 is actually a stronger action than the later model 94. You wont have any problem shooting modern ammo out of that one.
    The marks along the top of the receiver on either side of the bolt are bothersome but if everything functions well and the bore is good the rifle should make for a good shooter. Offer him $750 and go from there.

John
    Last edited by timetripper; 10-05-2019 at 11:01 AM.
    Oldgungeezer and BonitaBob like this.
    If you have ten thousand regulations, you destroy all respect for the law. Winston Churchill

Links