• 1 Post By nmshieldshooter
  • 3 Post By Diabloman
  • 1 Post By Ratzo

Thread: Keep or Sell??? M1A SOCOM / PTR91 GI

Member #
    Liked
    202 times

Keep or Sell??? M1A SOCOM / PTR91 GI

I have a dilemma. I am looking at a Windham Weaponry 16.5" AR10, the one with the near full length Keymod rail and collapsible stock. Nice rifle (Carbine?) that is light for an AR10 (yes, I know it'll kick more.)

But, in order to fund this, and because I know I don't need 3 semi auto 7.62x51s, I am thinking about selling either my PTR91 GI, which has upgraded furniture, or my SA M1A SOCOM, in a custom side folding stock.
    The PTR shoots nice, but is heavy as heck and ergonomically, a beast. The SOCOM shoots well enough, but still a touch heavy for what it is.

Make a rationale for dumping one and why...

Member #
    Liked
    11629 times
    I'd keep the PTR91 GI and sell the Socom. It will sell faster because more people know about it. If you ever want another socom you can find them . No so much the PTR91

So for me the socom M-1A would go !
    Oldgungeezer likes this.
    TO Ride, Shoot Straight, and Speak the Truth.

Member #
    Liked
    202 times
    I may have calmed myself back down now. With other AR platforms and calibers, maybe it's okay to keep the SOCOM and PTR and NOT have an AR platform 308...
    Diabloman likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    6355 times
    Forget the AR platform. The others are just better rifles.
    bearcat6 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    13782 times
    Quote Originally Posted by OMCHamlin View Post
    I may have calmed myself back down now. With other AR platforms and calibers, maybe it's okay to keep the SOCOM and PTR and NOT have an AR platform 308...
    This says it all....Keep whatcha got.....jmho fwiw
    OMCHamlin, bearcat6 and Bob K like this.

Member #
    Liked
    202 times
    Quote Originally Posted by nmshieldshooter View Post
    Forget the AR platform. The others are just better rifles.
    Well, I really don't know about all that. You may be a bigger FAN of the HK or the M1A platform, but that doesn't necessarily mean either of them are better. Which platform is still in service in first world armies?
    I'm just not sure that I really need to go through the parting out of either one (which, with tons of mags, stocks and other accessories, would be a requirement) in order to reacquire the stuff for an AR10. I do bet the AR, even with same barrel length, would end up being more accurate, but how much more? Does it matter? Maybe not to me, not this time.

Member #
    Liked
    17908 times
    Not a fan of any of them and I don't consider them to be sporting long guns either. A long gun better be capable of shooting at least MOA at 200 yards. None of them can. I believe they should be called 'short long guns'.

Never could figure out what the infatuation is with them. Way too heavy to cart around, inaccurate past any reasonable hunt distance. I don't get it. I guess it's the 'I gotta have thing'. I don't gotta have and don't want any, anyway.
    Daryl......

'You can fool some of the people all of the time, all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool mom....

Member #
    Liked
    202 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
    Not a fan of any of them and I don't consider them to be sporting long guns either. A long gun better be capable of shooting at least MOA at 200 yards. None of them can. I believe they should be called 'short long guns'.

Never could figure out what the infatuation is with them. Way too heavy to cart around, inaccurate past any reasonable hunt distance. I don't get it. I guess it's the 'I gotta have thing'. I don't gotta have and don't want any, anyway.
    I don't own them for hunting...

Member #
    Liked
    5219 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post

Guess you have never had the joy of playing with a good one. If you ever do, you’ll change that tune. Mine, which was made just after they left Texas will score hits out to 850 meters (that is how the sights are regulated) with open sights.
    murphyranch likes this.
    If you can't be who you are, then you don't exist.

Links