Thread: Springfield Armory M1A Rifle

Member #
    Liked
    8947 times

Lightbulb Springfield Armory M1A Rifle

Name:  sp_ma9102_b (1).jpg
Views: 17
Size:  17.3 KB

Early Springfield Armory M1A Rifle. Nowadays shooters recognize the M1A as being made in Illinois, but at the beginning, these rifles were manufactured in Texas. The first maker of the M1A was a USAF veteran by the name of Elmer Ballance of Devine, TX. First doing business as the Lackland Heights Gun Company, the ATF advised Ballance that in order to sell his new M1A rifle that he had to mark them with a company name and address. Choosing to instead employ a well-known name, he filed as Springfield Armory Inc., a commerical concern completely separate from the government facility that had closed down in 1968. American Rifleman magazine in April of 1974. Caliber: 7.62mm.
    Last edited by legelegel; 07-11-2019 at 12:53 AM.
    ROBERT @ OKC USA

He who questions much learns much. - Frances Bacon
    There was a time when men were kind and their words were inviting. - Les Miserables
    Error of opinion may be tolerated where reason is left free to combat it. - Thomas Jefferson
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
    80% of success is showing up. - Woody Allen

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM.
    NON REVERTAR INULTUS.
    SPES MEA IN DEO EST.

Member #
    Liked
    3374 times

M1-A

All
    M1-A Loaded from several years back.
    Upgraded with NM-2A rear sight set.
    Bedded and tweaked.
    Shoots well.
    [email protected]
    Name:  WDE_0859.JPG
Views: 18
Size:  446.2 KB

Member #
    Liked
    1876 times
    I need to change out the NM rear sights on mine to standard sights and maybe widen the front a touch. Old eyes and that small peep on NM sights don't go together very well. I had my M1A up the hill to a guy by the name of Al Ewing who stoned the trigger and it is much smoother and trips right at 4.5 lbs, the weight minimum for matches. Al was a winner of a bunch of trophies at Camp Perry when he was in the Army Reserve and had a great little gunsmithing business going. He could talk all day about the M14/M1A. He passed a couple of years ago, I sure hope he was able to pass his knowledge to someone.

bob
    bearcat6 and Oldgungeezer like this.
    Build a man a fire and he will be warm for the night, but set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    44726 times
    Here's one of mine with a few upgrades.
    Oldgungeezer likes this.
    I'm Mr Bad Example, take a look at me.

Member #
    Liked
    1231 times
    Several years ago I purchased some M14 parts from Mr. Ballance to complete a LRB build and to have some spares. Several months ago he called me asking if I needed any parts, that he still had some. Mr Ballance is up in his years and is a very interesting person to talk to.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    21209 times
    I have never fired one. Looks like an interesting rifle.

Duty then is the sublimest word in the English language. You should do your duty in all things. You can never do more, you should never wish to do less

Robert E. Lee

Member #
    Liked
    1876 times
    IDF Sniper version with attached An/PVS2, there is also a Nimrod 6x scope that belongs to it.

bob
    WendyZXZ and bearcat6 like this.
    Build a man a fire and he will be warm for the night, but set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Links