• 6 Post By Cliff
  • 2 Post By timetripper
  • 2 Post By Cliff

Thread: 25-20wcf

Member #
    Liked
    4680 times

25-20wcf

I bought an old Savage mod 44 last weekend. Now I need to find some 25-20 wcf brass. Seems as if starline has sold out. Have any of you tried Trailboss in these for a light plinking load. I want to shoot the old gun but with a
    light load. Any advice.
    Cliff
    combat, jeepnut, msharley and 1 others like this.

Member #
    Liked
    5305 times
    I’ve used trail boss in several different cartridges. I can’t imagine you could get enough TB in that little cartridge to hurt anything. Hodgdon lists several loads with different powders for the 25-20. Some with really low pressures. Maybe that is the reason there is no data on TB. It can’t generate enough pressure to reliably get the bullet out of the barrel.
    Cliff and jeepnut like this.
    If you can't be who you are, then you don't exist.

Member #
    Liked
    4312 times
    I've used Trailboss in 32-20 with good results. But Trail Boss is not recommended for bottle necked cases, I believe because of inconsistent pressures. The 32-20 has a slight bottleneck but is pretty much a straight case. You can make 25-20 from them. There should be better powders that TB for the 25-20 WCF.

John
    Cliff likes this.
    If you have ten thousand regulations, you destroy all respect for the law. Winston Churchill

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    4680 times
    John, most of the feed back I've gotten recommends unique for light loads. I'll probably try that route for a 1100 fps load.
    Cliff
    msharley likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    4680 times
    Here are a couple of pics of my Savage mod 44.
    Cliff
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Member #
    Liked
    13567 times
    Hey Cliff,

Wow! That is a swell looker!

Bet it took a lot of rabbits & such like over the years.

Good for you!!

Later, Mark
    Duty is the sublimest word in the English language. Every man should desire to do his duty, no man should desire to do less. Robert E. Lee

Marlinitis Symptoms: More daily.

Active rescuer of Marlin Rifles, S&W revolvers, 1911's, Mil/Surplus rifles, shotguns.........

Member #
    Liked
    4312 times
    Hey Cliff, that's actually a Stevens 44. Is it marked Savage?
    I have one in 32-20 and it is a fun shooter. Light loads of of Unique should do the job. A word of caution though, the 44 is a weak action and pressures should be kept low to keep the action from working loose. It is not a rolling or falling block but a pivot/cam style action. Hence the pressure being put almost entirely on the pivot pins. You may not want to go much higher than the 4.5 grains of Unique starting point. And stick with lead bullets to keep the pressure down.
    I keep my 32-20 loads below 15000 psi.
    Another word of caution, if you go to disassemble the action, be careful of which side you unscrew the action pins. The action pins as slotted on both sides but one side are simply slotted caps with female threads that are fixed into the action with a small metal lug to keep them from rotating. Trying to loosing them with a screw driver will bugger the slots. I forget which side it is.
    Check out the ASSRA forum for more info on shooting the 44 and it's workings. That forum is running a little slow lately but has tons of useful information on the 44 and other old single shots.
    Here's mine.
    Name:  stevens44.JPG
Views: 29
Size:  2.11 MB

The action is unmarked but the barrel has a Stevens stamp. The old Stevens actions were renown for both their accuracy and affordability. Many of the early guns had the Pope style rifling which was key to their accuracy with lead bullets.
    You are gonna have fun with that baby!

John
    msharley and WendyZXZ like this.
    If you have ten thousand regulations, you destroy all respect for the law. Winston Churchill

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    39563 times
    Fine looking old rifles!
    Cum Deo et victricibus armis

Member #
    Liked
    4680 times
    Timetripper, you are correct. It is a Stevens mod 44, marked Stevens A & T co. Brain fart on my part. That's what I get for not paying attention. I do plead guilty to looking at my 3 old savage bolt actions before I wrote this. The right side of this one has the screw on the lever. The left side has Witness marks on it. I've got dies and 85gr cast bullets on the way.
    Cliff
    msharley and timetripper like this.

Links