US Krag Carbine
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: US Krag Carbine

Member #
    Liked
    779 times

US Krag Carbine...now with an update!

I picked this up a few days ago to fill a niche in my collection. I have been looking for a Krag carbine to go with my other US military firearms and to match my US Krag rifle. I found this locally for a screaming deal and snatched it up.

What I have here is a genuine 1898 Krag carbine, the rarest of all Krag carbines as they were a one year only gun, with the Model 1899 carbine entering production in 1899 (go figure). Now before I get the usual litany of warnings to check the stock to see if it is a cut down rifle, there is no filled channel where the rifle cleaning rod went. the taper on the barrel is correct for a genuine carbine barrel and the serial number falls right in the middle of the '98 carbine serial numbers. The metal still has most of it's original finish and the bore is very good with lots of shine and strong rifling.

It's not without a few warts though, it's missing the upper handguard and at some point in its past, the original 1896 style rear sight was removed and a carbine 1901 style sight was installed. Also it has what looks like a Marbles front sight blade on it, but I already have a correct one on the way. I know an original rear sight is going to be hard to find and will be expensive, but I paid just $400 for the rifle and I sold the '01 carbine rear sight for $250 so I have a mere $150 invested in it so far. Even if I have to pay through the nose for a correct sight and handguard, it won't be the end of the world. I put on a 1896 style rifle sight that was in my junk box and except for the sight graduations, the "C" stamped on the carbine sight and few other minor changes, they look identical.

I normally avoid old military firearms that have been screwed with as the cost to put them back into original condition usually exceeds the value, but this was such an neat little rifle and so close to being right that I just couldn't help but rescue it.

Anyway here are a few pics of it:

The picture doesn't show it real well, but the date on the cartouche is 1898.
    Last edited by highpower; 07-22-2019 at 09:33 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    5287 times
    Pretty darn awesome especially the price!
    NRA Certified RSO

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    21772 times
    Nice find. Glad to see it found a good home.
    Oldgungeezer and Curt360 like this.

Duty then is the sublimest word in the English language. You should do your duty in all things. You can never do more, you should never wish to do less

Robert E. Lee

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    37546 times
    Fine old rifle and at a nice price!
    Everything that happens is either endurable or not. If it’s endurable, then endure it. Stop complaining. If it’s unendurable . . . then stop complaining. Your destruction will mean its end as well.

Member #
    Liked
    323 times
    Yours is in much better shape than mine.
    Oldgungeezer likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    8343 times
    SWEET!!
    Curt360 and Oldgungeezer like this.
    IGNORANCE IS THE MOST EXPENSIVE COMMODITY THAT YOU CAN OWN

Member #
    Liked
    13456 times
    Hey HP,

Sweet looking Krag!

Later, Mark
    Duty is the sublimest word in the English language. Every man should desire to do his duty, no man should desire to do less. Robert E. Lee

Marlinitis Symptoms: More daily.

Active rescuer of Marlin Rifles, S&W revolvers, 1911's, Mil/Surplus rifles, shotguns.........

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    35142 times
    Yesiree, I've always wanted a Krag carbine..........and you got one. Good for you amigo.

Enjoy it in good health,

Geezer
    blitzen25cat likes this.
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride! ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Member #
    Liked
    779 times
    Okay, after a few weeks of wheeling and dealing, I came up with a correct handguard (darn thing cost me a $100) and sold a somewhat rough 1899 carbine stock I had laying around. I got $250 for the stock and as I am arbitrarily considering it part of my Krag "investment", I figure I now have a net 0 dollars in this thing. I am not sure exactly how that happened as I usually wind up with more in these type of projects than I could ever hope to recover if I was to sell them, but I seem to have gotten lucky on this one. Still no luck in finding the correct 1896 rear sight, but from three feet away it looks as correct as can be and right now, that is good enough for me.

I scrounged up a small amount of .30-40 Government ammo and went to the range to see how it shoots. All I can say is what a wonderful little rifle this is. It feels very light in the hand and is as accurate as I could expect considering my old eyes combined with iron sights.

Member #
    Between Elephant Breath MT. and Squaw's Ankle N.M.
    Liked
    20243 times
    When I was 14 years old, 62 years ago, I went elk hunting with my Dad and a couple of brothers. One evening in camp, a couple of guys from CA, who were camped nearby came over to visit. One of them spotted one of the brother's 30-40 Krag Carbine and asked if he could look at it. Upon inspection, he asked if it was for sale. The response was NO. The guy pulled out his check book and said, "put a number in there!" The owner said it isn't for sale.
    Oldgungeezer likes this.
    The more I'm around people, the more I like sheep, and I hate sheep.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links