• 2 Post By SidecarFlip
  • 2 Post By jb59
  • 1 Post By Victor N TN

Thread: Rock Climbing Rope

Member #
    Liked
    6 times

Rock Climbing Rope

I bought my first rock climbing rope it's an Edelrid Python 10mm and It just arrived by mail today and the rope package is writing about what should be used and isn't the top rope one of them because it is 9.7 and not thicker? I'm sure it would be fine, but I wonder and it would also lead to climbing, after which is it okay to turn from above?
    Last edited by karaRobert; 09-29-2019 at 08:52 AM.
    Victor N TN and Thewelshm like this.

Member #
    Liked
    4307 times
    Are you sure you are in the right forum?

John
    bearcat6 likes this.
    If you have ten thousand regulations, you destroy all respect for the law. Winston Churchill

Member #
    Liked
    7786 times
    Spent more hours than I ever care to count climbing trees for a arborist outfit. Started w/ hemp ropes then moved on to various other more specialized ropes. Regardless of the name brand or size or anything else, you need to be cold blooded about what you are hanging on and as well when you retire the rope from climbing. In our work, the problem was not rocks but saws and odd ball bits of wire, etc. that were commonly found in old trees. Keep a close eye on your ropes for any more than superficial damage. A rope that has been subjected to bruising, had fibers crushed, is suspect. Use knots that are well tied and keep in mind the loss of strength that results from any knot and especially from knots/hitches poorly chosen/used. Change the working end of the rope daily. Keep the ropes you use clean as grit, etc. can play hob with a rope. I still have a single rope from years ago that I occasionally use. Don't remember anything about brand, etc. But, when I was climbing a lot of trees, it was what we used for lowering heavy wood. I am comfortable using it for my climbing line in a tree. Sincerely. bruce.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    18468 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bruce View Post
    Spent more hours than I ever care to count climbing trees for a arborist outfit. Started w/ hemp ropes then moved on to various other more specialized ropes. Regardless of the name brand or size or anything else, you need to be cold blooded about what you are hanging on and as well when you retire the rope from climbing. In our work, the problem was not rocks but saws and odd ball bits of wire, etc. that were commonly found in old trees. Keep a close eye on your ropes for any more than superficial damage. A rope that has been subjected to bruising, had fibers crushed, is suspect. Use knots that are well tied and keep in mind the loss of strength that results from any knot and especially from knots/hitches poorly chosen/used. Change the working end of the rope daily. Keep the ropes you use clean as grit, etc. can play hob with a rope. I still have a single rope from years ago that I occasionally use. Don't remember anything about brand, etc. But, when I was climbing a lot of trees, it was what we used for lowering heavy wood. I am comfortable using it for my climbing line in a tree. Sincerely. bruce.
    Did a ton of that when I was much younger. Still have my Klein harness hanging in the garage as well as my climbing spurs. Mostly used hemp but switched to synthetic towards the end. Myself, I would imagine it's a heck of a lot cheaper buying synthetic cordage from an arborist supply house than buying climbing rope from some rock climbing concern that is most likely buying bulk cordage from those supply houses anyway and reselling it.

I still use synthetic cordage on my winches. Lots easier to deal with than alloy steel wire rope.
    bruce and Victor N TN like this.
    Daryl......

'You can fool some of the people all of the time, all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool mom....

Member #
    Liked
    5110 times
    Rock climbing? With a rope?

Highest I've been was about 400 feet at Yosemite- didn't need a rope. (???)
    "The right to buy weapons is the right to be free." -A.E. van Vogt

" It is simply not possible to believe fossil fuel emissions will destroy the world and, at the same time, oppose nuclear power. "- Dennis Prager

Member #
    Liked
    3195 times
    Not me dont even like climbing ladders. When a kid on Petty Jean mtn I crawled under a fence and sat on edge of a cliff. My dad eased up behind and pulled me back by my britches and then gave them a good dusting.
    Victor N TN and Thewelshm like this.

Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    All my STATIC rope is 7/16" PMC. I have pieces 125' to 350'. I only have 1 piece of Dynamic. It's 125' but I can't remember anything else about it.

When I lost most of my right lung in 1996, that put the halt on my climbing or rescue work.
    Thewelshm likes this.
    Be careful,
    Victor

Links