Best Camping Cooler
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Best Camping Cooler

Member #
    Liked
    6 times

Best Camping Cooler

A few weeks ago I bought a new camping cooler, but I am not so satisfied with it.
    During the 3 days I used it, I had to add a lot of ice and drain tons of water. Most of the time I was in the shade.
    Does anyone know of a same-sized cooler for camping that works well for about 3 days?
    Thanks for your help. Any thoughts or information would be great.
    Last edited by karaRobert; 08-27-2019 at 08:31 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    40517 times
    Would help us to know what you bought, and what its dimensions were. Thanks.
    No God, No Good.... Know God, Know Good....

Any government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take everything you have.--- Thomas Jefferson

911 Response time: 600+ seconds. 1911 response time: 800+ feet per second.

US Navy, Vietnam Vet, NRA Life Member, GOA Life Member, Hook'em Horns!

Member #
    Liked
    18634 times
    I gave up on iced down cooler a few years back. I have a Dometic Cool Box. They ain't cheap but no ice. They run on 12 volt or 110. We keep ours in the backseat of the pickup truck plugged into the cigarette lighter when camping. Nice thing is they won't wipe your battery out either, the shut off before they flatten your starting battery. My wife takes it shopping in her car to put frozen stuff in for the trip home (we are 20 miles from the grocery)

best 'cooler' I ever bought and if you bought a Yeti, the price of a Yeti and the Cool Box are pretty close.

No ice, no water no BS. Just cold (and frozen food). Mine has 2 compartments, one for cold and one for freeze and yes it keeps ice cream rock hard.

Amazon has them btw. So does West Marine online and Panther Products online.
    Daryl......

'You can fool some of the people all of the time, all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool mom....

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    5737 times
    I tried the Yeti clone route and it didn't keep ice much longer than my old trusty Coleman Xtreme coolers - depends on how much its opened. The Yeti clone was tooooo heavy to move when loaded. So, I continue to use the Coleman Xtreme, but use a heavy moving blanket to keep it covered - helps a bunch. My clone is used only for storing a few bags of ice, and if it stays closed, it will keep it for a few days.

Member #
    Liked
    5049 times
    I won’t buy a Yeti due to their stance on 2A. The Coleman Extreme is rated not quiet as good as Yeti but very good. Living in Georgia and originally from Florida is a necessity. The Coleman Extreme meets my needs at about 1/5th the cost of the Yeti.
    Have A Good One,
    Rob

He that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Jesus

‘Twern’t be no good if it wasn’t loaded! John Wayne

I invest in Lead, Brass and Copper. Me

Member #
    Liked
    5440 times
    IIRC this was tested to hold ice the longest.

https://techniice.com/ice-boxes.html

Duh, here's the US site:

https://www.techniiceusa.com/coolers.html
    Last edited by delcrossv; 08-07-2019 at 05:20 PM.
    "The right to buy weapons is the right to be free." -A.E. van Vogt

" It is simply not possible to believe fossil fuel emissions will destroy the world and, at the same time, oppose nuclear power. "- Dennis Prager

Member #
    Liked
    28097 times
    Except for my time in the Navy, I've lived my whole life in the desert of Arizona and we did a lot of camping in the state and in Mexico. Back then there was nothing except Igloo and Coleman boxes, but we almost always used Dry Ice on these trips, which kept temps down where we wanted them to be. I don't do that sort of camping anymore, but if I did and was serious about it, I'd lean more toward Sidecarflips' way of doing it, especially with how effective and available solar charging/inverters are, and the charging equipment is affordable now. Good luck and remember that Dry Ice isn't expensive!
    Thewelshm and SidecarFlip like this.
    “So son, explain again exactly why there’s a stripper in your bedroom?"

Member #
    Liked
    136 times
    One July some years ago I had to haul a bobcat carcass from Nrn Mississippi to Wichita, KS (via Dallas and Amarillo) in the cab of an non air- conditioned pickup. My wife and I bought two styrofoam coolers that would nest, 10 # of dry ice, and some duct tape. 4 days later we still had a tiny bit of dry ice left and bob was still frozen solid. Get the cooler with tight press-on lid and 2 inch walls.

Member #
    Liked
    2121 times
    As a side note, I agree about Yeti's stance on 2A. I noticed the other day a new billboard near my home. It is a picture of a white Yeti cooler with Coors Silver Bullets with ice in it. No words on the billboard, just the picture of the Yeti cooler with the Coors beer cans. Well, I used to like a Silver Bullet ever once in a while but not any more.

Member #
    Liked
    18634 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackcloud2 View Post
    Except for my time in the Navy, I've lived my whole life in the desert of Arizona and we did a lot of camping in the state and in Mexico. Back then there was nothing except Igloo and Coleman boxes, but we almost always used Dry Ice on these trips, which kept temps down where we wanted them to be. I don't do that sort of camping anymore, but if I did and was serious about it, I'd lean more toward Sidecarflips' way of doing it, especially with how effective and available solar charging/inverters are, and the charging equipment is affordable now. Good luck and remember that Dry Ice isn't expensive!
    When we hunt out west we take cheap styrofoam coolers to put the butchered meat in for the trip back and put in dry ice to keep the meat cold. Even a cheap styrofoam cooler and dry ice will keep stuff frigid for days and no mess.
    Daryl......

'You can fool some of the people all of the time, all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool mom....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links