Just a leetle grumpy, today...
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: Just a leetle grumpy, today...

Member #
    Liked
    2512 times
    It should still shoot .5 MOA regardless of where the group lands on the target. ZEROING moves the group location on the target. It does NOT change the group SIZE.

Capisce?

Fine. Your Nikon is broken.

All better now?

Member #
    Liked
    233 times
    I had one with a loose reticle that would stay real close for a few shots and then drift away. I have had good luck with Swift and Vortex but it's hard to go wrong with Leupold.

Member #
    Liked
    1051 times
    Sorry, Slowpoke, did I forget to say .5MOA AT THE CENTER OF THE TARGET? .5 MOA that goes over the animal's
    head isn't helping much, when you're hunting, regardless of how sweet it looks on a slip of paper.Here, I'll say it reeeaaalll
    slowly, just for you: .5 MOA, AT THE CENTER OF THE TAAARRRGGGEEETTTT. There, happy now?
    It's not broke, it just needed to be re-zeroed. AFTER it was re-zeroed, bad posture, form, and mount issues
    didn't present a problem. Try to keep up, OK?
    Last edited by Nrah; 12-08-2018 at 10:16 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    2512 times
    My, my.

You are quite the charmer, aren't you?

Learn some writing skills. Words and descriptions matter.

Sorry I tried to help you.

Won't happen again, I promise.
    blitzen25cat likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1142 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowpokeSlim View Post
    My, my.

You are quite the charmer, aren't you?

Learn some writing skills. Words and descriptions matter.

Sorry I tried to help you.

Won't happen again, I promise.
    Probably needs to quit letting those little green martians or the fiery hell pit demons that live in his head from squeezing the trigger. Paprika or whatever word that was he was using.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    8368 times
    Nrah, if you wish to continue here, you’ll be more civil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    blitzen25cat and Victor N TN like this.
    Lost in the woods.

Member #
    Liked
    18664 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway500 View Post
    "What is your favorite scope brand, right now?"

I really like the Trijicon line. Affordable,easy to use and rock solid.

It's funny..people will think nothing about spending $3k for a fine rifle..but then put $200 optics on it and wonder why they can't dependably hit jack...

I'm not saying everyone should buy a Swarovski..but I'm amazed how many Hammers or BSAs I've seen on the line,with owners swearing at their ammo or rifle.
    Tridgicons are overpriced over rated junk. I ought to know in as much as they are in Novi, not too far from me. They got their start dealing in government contracts (at inflated prices) and pass that philosophy on to consumers. My wife used to deal with them and the failure rate was pretty high.

I run either Swarovski, Zeiss or US Optics. All mega buck scopes and all excellent. My base price on any scope is 1500 bucks but then I zero my scopes at 250 yards and typically shoot past 500. I think the cheapest scope I own is the ATN day-night vision scope I have on my 22-250 ADL varmint stick. It was 600 bucks and just for varmints.

My favorite is Swarvoski. The cast and polish their own glass in Austria and it's all quality. Have a pair of Swarvoski 12-40 bino's too. My wife about had a heart attack when I bought them, 2 grand retail but when she looked through them she was amazed. You get what you pay for and quality don't come cheap.

My Savage 338 Lapua wears a 6.5 x 25 Viper PST that I bought when Vortex started out and it's been an excellent scope. I went to an invitational shoot in Las Vegas years ago and was shooting at 1500 yards and hitting a 2 foot by 2 foot target consistently. Prolem with that distance is having enough elevation in the adjustment to compensate for bullet drop. I run an EGW 20 MOA cant rail to get the elevation adjustment. Vortex has went downhill too. Just like Leupold. Quality suffers when companies get greedy.
    Victor N TN likes this.
    Daryl......

'You can fool some of the people all of the time, all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool mom....

Member #
    Liked
    18664 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Skwirl View Post
    I'm partial to my leupys, got a bunch of them.
    Never had a zero problem. My newest rifle, with a 2×7 fire dot. Ringing steel at 200 yards with it. The scope has been on 2 other guns and 2 other xbows, now this rifle. Great scopes for the money, and made in the USA.
    Attachment 344913
    Let me correct your premise of 'Made in USA' to assembled in USA from components sourced worldwide. In my world of long range shooting, Leupold comes up short. Fine for short range shooting, I have a couple myself but older ones. If you go to their website and read it, they state on it that they source their glass from various sources, IOW, the least expensive and usually offshore. When you don't cast and polish your own glass, quality becomes inconsistent. Same with erection components. Only 3 optics makers that I know of that produce and polish their own glass and glass is the heart of any good optic. B&L (which is defunct), Swarvoski, Austria and US Optics. Thats it. LOE glass, Japan produces optical quality glass for various manufacturers including Zeiss, Nightforce and Vortex when they started out. I have a Japanese Bushnell on my 460 XVR revolver that has LOE glass and it's an excellent recoil immune scope,

Leupold has been living on their reputation for a pretty long time. The competition has caught up and surpassed them.
    Daryl......

'You can fool some of the people all of the time, all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool mom....

Member #
    Liked
    18664 times
    Here is a little tip I've learned over the years and dealing with ethical long range (500 yards out) shots...

The more components (parts) you have between the receiver base and the scope, the more chance there is for issues. I tend to run Talley one piece horizontal split rings with integral bases. Why horizontal split rings? Because my mounting regimen is this (and I mount scopes for customers, not just myself)...

First thing I do is clean the receiver threaded mount holes with brake cleaner to remove any oil or machining residue, then I fit the lower ring half to the receiver and visually makes sure it seats correctly on the receiver and if it don't, I hand file it to fit. Then I apply threadlocker to the screws and thread them in to whatever torque value is specified with the rings, however, before I tighten the screws, I lay in the appropriate sized alignment bar, 1", 30 mm or whatever the body size of the scope is and align the bases parallel to each other and then tighten the screws. That insures the bases are in alignment with the receiver mounts.

Then I take the correct sized bar (I use oil hardening drill rod and lay on the upper ring segments with clover lapping compound on the bar and hand lap the rings to remove the factory coating and insure the ring contacts the scope body all the way around (which insures that there will be no ring marks on the scope and the scope will be securely held by the rings so recoil won't jar the scope in the field and shift the POI or the POA. After that I clean the rings with brake cleaner to remove the lapping compound. The and only then do I lay the scope in the rings and before I attach the upper half, I jig the rifle or the pistol on the table of my Bridgeport vertical mill and apply a machinist level to the lower ring segments and level the weapon on the table. The I lay in the optic and put the level on the upper (elevation) turret and level the scope in relation to the lower segments that I have already aligned and leveled. Then and only then to I apply the upper segments, carefully secureing them (with threadlocker) on the screws and torqued to the setting specified by the ring manufacturer.

That is how I mount any and every scope, mine and customers. Aligning the scope in the rings and unit leveling insures the scope is perfectly aligned with the weapon. Because I tend to cant my rifles to the right when shooting (and any cant from level impacts down range trajectory at distance, my rifle all wear a bubble level affixed to the scope tube which I apply while the rifle is jigged and secured on the milling table.

Always keep in mind that the more components (2 piece rings, quick release bases and rails add to the chance of mis alignment and the chance that something can come loose. One of the guys I hunt with bought a Fierce custom built 300 Win Mag that we were building a load and jump for and got to the final load build and the rifle started shooting wonky. After examining the scope and mount (had a Nightforce in Warne rings mounted from Fierce) we discovered that Fierce had neglected to apply threadlocker to the rings when they mounted the scope and the recoil had loosened them so even if it's a 5 grand stick, human error can impact the bottom line.
    Daryl......

Member #
    Liked
    131 times

Unhappy OPTICS

Something I have never understood, but maybe iits just me. Guys will spend hundreds of $ on a gun, other equip/. and invest time, and then skimp on optics.

Forester, Victor N TN and Nrah like this.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Links