• 1 Post By Layne12gun
  • 1 Post By 1av8r
  • 1 Post By Hunter

Thread: Speed loader pouche/s

Member #
    Liked
    307 times

Speed loader pouche/s

What have you got and why do you love it? I am looking to make one or two for myself. I have made a few and they were ok and quite reminisent of other older designs out there but if I am going to make another I want to put some more thought into it.

Here is something I did for a friend which was part of a set with a small revolver. Looks neat but here are my issues.

Name:  20180409140410-654f25b0-me.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  184.1 KB

I dont think that using the knob is the best way to retrieve the speedloaders. I thought about making simply 2 semi circle shapes on either side you can grab the body of the speedloader but... that is about as far as I have gotten. I keep thinking dropping from the bottom into my hand might be an option??

He asked for a bunch of three to be on one carry item but I prefer individual speed loaders so I can position them wear they are comfrortable but .. in all likelihood I would probably only carry one reload.

So .. if you have a speedloader you love or a feature you thought should be on one .. help me engineer my new speedloader.

Member #
    Liked
    11827 times
    HKS is the best you can get . Bianchi Speed loader pouches work great
    1av8r likes this.
    TO Ride, Shoot Straight, and Speak the Truth.

Member #
    Liked
    307 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Layne12gun View Post
    HKS is the best you can get . Bianchi Speed loader pouches work great
    Hey Layne .. I took a look at the HKS ... what makes them so awesome? They dont look much different than what I made. Perhaps I am missing a feature that isnt evident in photos?

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    6172 times
    I use A.E. Nelson speed loader carriers. They are wide at the top and narrow at the bottom. I wear them upside down on my belt. When I open it, the speed loader falls into my hand for a quicker reload. My untucked shirt flows over the narrow part making concealed carry much easier.

#61 Speedloader Carrier, A. E. Nelson Leather Co.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.

Member #
    Liked
    307 times
    I ordered a couple sheets of kydex and am going to try and make one of kydex. Have never made anything of kydex so we will see how it goes

Member #
    Liked
    12306 times
    Speed loaders are fine for competition, but I find them too bulky for daily carry. I carry Bianchi speed strips in my pocket.
    Not as fast, but more practical for me. Much less expensive and can carry a lot more ammo.
    Ratzo likes this.
    ~Jerry | Buckeye Firearms | ORPA
    Life Member DAV | NRA Distinguished | RWVA

Member #
    Liked
    5298 times
    I've got lots of speedloaders from my competition days. Now its speed strips for me as well.
    If you can't be who you are, then you don't exist.

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2953 times
    I have one old leather one.
    Name:  Mohogany speedloader.JPG
Views: 9
Size:  268.0 KB

And a few nylon ones. I actually made a form to make some out of leather, but never made one yet! LOL

I made these instead.

Name:  357-1.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  2.22 MB

Name:  357-3.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  3.53 MB
    1av8r likes this.
    Let go of anything that stops you from having everything…DM

Dom

Member #
    Liked
    307 times
    Hey Hunter ... that is some nice work!! Did you do both? Can I bug you with some questions?

Did you do some kind of insert for the individual rounds in the Flat ammo pouch? I have been thinking hard about going to a similar setup mostly because I carry while I ride and a lumpy speedloader in a fall is more likely to cause injury .. Yea I know the gun can to but ??

It would also fit better under a jacket the 5 times a year I have to wear one.

Am I reading the first pic right .. you have the snap on the Speedloader pouch oriented Forward? Great idea if it is!

Member #
    Liked
    307 times
    OK I went ahead and tried one out of kydex. This is the first thing I have ever made with Kydex ever so its not exactly pretty ... but ... boy does it work well!

I based it on the information I found on this site
    https://bulletsandbeers.blogspot.com...r-pouches.html

I made some minor changes as I brought the side in that wraps the speedloader in tighter from the edge where he just made a circle from there and I added a divot just above the speedloader for a bit of extra insurance and I made my belt loop more behind the loader than making a drop down affair but he does mention that he made those for his dad who was using them for competition and maybe the drop is a bit faster. I used a closet pole for the round portion that would wrap the speedloader as it was about 5mm less in diameter.

Even without the divot... I can vigorously shake the fully loaded speedloader upside down and the speedloader stayed put. Then my wife and I stood about 6 feet apart and played catch back and forth. Didnt budge. It holds fast and tight to the body and the draw from the pouch is blazing fast without having to lift a flap.

Except that mine looks like kindergarten crap ... it functions awesomely!! I made this one to fit the 38 and tomorrow I will try and make one that looks a little less cobbled for 357. Yes the diameters are the same of course but even though it doesnt need the divot as the speedloader is held very tight by the wrap around .. I like the extra insurance and the divot/ protrusion/ bump thingy needs to be just above the rim on the speedloader. I picked up the .08 kydex on amazon and I bought the $13 heat gun at Harbor freight which worked fast and easy with the kydex. So here are pix ..

Name:  speed1.jpg
Views: 2
Size:  452.0 KB

Name:  speed2.jpg
Size:  594.3 KB

Name:  speed3.jpg
Size:  492.1 KB

Name:  speed4.jpg
Size:  464.9 KB