So lets see some DIY holsters!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: So lets see some DIY holsters!

Member #
    Liked
    317 times

So lets see some DIY holsters!

Any of you guys that dabble in Kydex or leather making stuff for themselves ... lets see some of you handy work! I have been playing with leather since '91 and maintained it as a hobby through a good career in other things and after retirement spent a couple of years taking orders and making leather goods but have since stopped taking orders and just make stuff for myself and for friends. Got to be to much like a job!!

Here is one I did recently for a buddy whose son is getting into CAS. So dad gives me just two criteria.. he wanted the coloring to look oldish and that it needed to include the boys initials. He let me know the boys favorite video game was "Fallout" so I wanted to do something Steam Punk Post Apocalypse.

I liked the idea of the initials in what looked like an old necklace like it had been a found object in the wasteland or his grandmother had given it to him as a child and the chain was long gone but he wanted to keep the item for good luck ... you know, for all those gun fights!

I used bronze studs on the skirt which felt kind of like rivets and steel studs on the body and I just had to get those 2 screws in there which are brass. Did some creative stuff with dyes and an airbrush and its all hand stitched up with a natural colored thread.

For those interested in such things I took a shot of the welt. I wanted to make it a reasonable fast draw so I used a double tapering welt so its got a fair amount of room at the cylinder and trigger guard. Of course all the edges are burnished.

Here are some pix but I am always interested in seeing what other people are making for their own gear! I may try melting some kydex soon ... only because I never have and want to try.

Truth is most of the stuff I make for myself is plain jane single color

Last edited by Boriqua; 10-23-2019 at 11:52 AM.
    Cliff, WendyZXZ, charles and 1 others like this.

Member #
    Liked
    317 times
    Evidently not to many guys are making their own gear or just havent posted yet

Well If any of you decide you want to try I offer you any and all information I can share. I have easily done some 500+ holsters + other leather goods over the last 30 years so if you have any questions, need advice, don't know how to get started or want to know how you can make your own stuff with limited cash outlay .. just ask me here in the thread or hit me on PM. I would be glad to help. I may even have some patterns to share depending on the gun.

Its a great hobby and I am always interested in helping someone get started or get better. While having lots of tools is nice you can get by with just a few things and some household items.
    bruce likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Boriqua View Post
    Evidently not to many guys are making their own gear or just havent posted yet

Well If any of you decide you want to try I offer you any and all information I can share. I have easily done some 500+ holsters + other leather goods over the last 30 years so if you have any questions, need advice, don't know how to get started or want to know how you can make your own stuff with limited cash outlay .. just ask me here in the thread or hit me on PM. I would be glad to help. I may even have some patterns to share depending on the gun.

Its a great hobby and I am always interested in helping someone get started or get better. While having lots of tools is nice you can get by with just a few things and some household items.
    +1

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    36579 times
    I have absolutely no skills at holster making.
    My pitiful attempts would make people cry.

Member #
    Liked
    2528 times
    I've made a couple out of leather.
    One pocket holster for my little Bauer stainless copy of a Baby Browning
    Name:  Finished1.JPG
Views: 34
Size:  69.7 KBName:  Finished2.jpg
Size:  69.4 KB

And a belt holster with a flap for my Luger
    Name:  LugerHolster1.jpg
Size:  789.0 KBName:  LugerHolster2.jpg
Size:  783.3 KB
    Always looking for a deal on more reloading components & ammo. I once tried to see things from the liberal perspective - but I discovered I'm not flexible enough to get my head up my ...

Member #
    Liked
    317 times
    That luger holster is sweet! I am doing something similar right now for a Ruger MK but my buddy insisted it needs to have a mag pouch on the body. He is a good friend and has been waiting forever for it so I formed the mag pouch yesterday.
    Last edited by Boriqua; 10-25-2019 at 07:20 PM.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    5411 times
    Here's a couple that I cobbled up back before the turn of the century..........

3 1/2" N frame

5" Gov't Model
    scott, charles, gunhacker and 3 others like this.
    In God We Trust
    Also I heard the voice of the Lord, saying,
    Whom shall I send, and who will go for us?
    Then said I, Here am I; send me.

Member #
    Liked
    317 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith44Spl View Post
    Here's a couple that I cobbled up back before the turn of the century..........

5" Gov't Model
    They are both sharp but that 1911 holster is a Masters piece!! Very nice basket weave and basket weave is a lot harder than it looks! I love the way you curved the bottom of the decorative panel instead of just going straight across.... Its those little things!
    Digger, Ratzo and Thewelshm like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    5411 times
    Back when I stitched up a few for friends and relatives.......

This was one of my favorites, pictured with a pre-war 3rd model 44 Special.

scott, Darkhorse, Digger and 4 others like this.
    In God We Trust
    Also I heard the voice of the Lord, saying,
    Whom shall I send, and who will go for us?
    Then said I, Here am I; send me.

Member #
    Liked
    8145 times
    Many have seen this, but I just can't resist. Yes, I might be a redneck, and no this isn't me.
    Name:  flipflopholster.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  33.8 KB
    rfd, StrawHat, charles and 2 others like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links