N Frame or Larger Revolver Owners-How Do You Carry?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree88Likes

Thread: N Frame or Larger Revolver Owners-How Do You Carry?

Member #
    Liked
    429 times
    I had an Amish dude make me a cross draw. I'll get pics later.
    I too have a tagua that my 3" 629 rides in.

Member #
    Liked
    7819 times
    I prefer to carry my six inch 28-2 in a El Paso Tom Threepersons holster. It has a useful forward cant. Just about ideal. For my four inch 28-2, I prefer a Bianchi 111 Cyclone holster. It can be used either side draw or strong side. I prefer it side draw. This works out great when carrying a rifle during deer season. Also nice when driving a car, truck, etc. Sincerely. bruce.

Member #
    Liked
    1142 times
    The N-frames are a bit too large for my EDC tastes.

However, when I’m out hunting, my 629-3 rides crossdraw:

Name:  A34D7F27-AE30-4B77-B8E0-4355B25C4804.jpeg
Views: 54
Size:  946.5 KB
    Curt360 and jimg11 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    3309 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Motorman View Post
    Thanks for all of your N Frame holster input. It has been helpful. I recently ordered and received a Wright Leather Works pancake for my 629 3" and it works well. It will carry better once the cooler weather arrives, where I can wear a vest and/or a jacket. It is a surprise that this style of holster can actually hold and help conceal this large frame revolver. I also ordered a horsehide 1 3/4" belt from Kramer Leather in Tacoma, which should help support the weight.
    How bout a photo?

Kevin
    Knowledge should be shared and not hoarded.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    I found the best way to carry my 629 is in a Milt Sparks Versa Max 2. Name:  wDBCIcl.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  214.3 KB
    WendyZXZ, Curt360 and jimg11 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    2592 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Layne12gun View Post
    Don't carry N frames as they are way to heavy for concealed.
    Me too. The biggest thing I routinely carry is a K-frame snub and even that is rare.

I have a nice Astra Terminator that would be the only N-frame that would even be worth considering for concealed carry.
    But with a 7-shot 357 titanium snub and a 5 shot 44 special that both weigh nearly a pound less than the Astra, it isn't even a serious consideration.

Just curious, why would anyone want/need to conceal an N-frame? The only reason I can think of for choosing an N-frame would be if the 44 magnum was necessary. I can only see that caliber as necessary for grizzly bear defense, and in the woods concealment isn't usually a consideration. In WA open carry is legal even in urban areas, so no need to conceal where bears live. For 2 legged predators a 357 or 44 special are more than adequate. So why try to carry an N-frame concealed?

Now, if you are looking for open carry options, that's a different story altogether. If that is the question then I have a couple of Hunter brand and an S&W brand holster that work well for my N-frames. My favorite is a Guide Gear chest rig/bandolier combo. No worries about having a 2-3 pound revolver trying to pull your pants down.
    Last edited by BC38; 11-15-2019 at 12:23 AM.
    Always looking for a deal on more reloading components & ammo. I once tried to see things from the liberal perspective - but I discovered I'm not flexible enough to get my head up my ...

Member #
    Liked
    3309 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BC38 View Post
    ...Just curious, why would anyone want/need to conceal an N-frame? The only reason I can think of for choosing an N-frame would be if the 44 magnum was necessary...
    I have carried lesser revolvers when required but my choice is a S&W N frame with a 4” tapered barrel, chambered for the 45 ACP cartridge. With the skinny barrel and big holes it is about the same weight as a M19 but shots a cartridge I prefer.

Currently it is a 22-4 but it started out with a converted 28-2 and went to a shortened 1917, a Mountain Gun and other similar revolvers.

Kevin
    Keith44Spl and Curt360 like this.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Member #
    Liked
    84657 times
    Cross draw works best for me. Found this on Ebay for a great price. Also bought one similar but black for K frame.

Name:  20180705_205334-1.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  1.09 MB

Name:  20180705_205517-1.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  1.37 MB

Holster with JM 625
    jimg11 likes this.
    I keep a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take an ass whoopin'!

"Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself."
    George Washington

Member #
    Liked
    1924 times
    This Model 29-3 3" N frame came with this S&W holster marked 624.

Name:  standard.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  105.7 KB

This Bianchi model 27 N frame holster holds this 38/44 cut down Outdoorsman 38 Special revolver.

Views: 14
Size:  88.3 KB

A 6 1/2" Model 25 1955 .45 Target needs a big holster Like this Lawrence Model 7 Shoulder Holster.

Views: 15
Size:  57.6 KB

This Berns Martin Calhoun City Holster holding the 4" Cut Barreled 38-44 pre war Outdoorsman.

Views: 12
Size:  32.2 KB
    Last edited by jimg11; 11-16-2019 at 08:29 PM.
    Curt360 likes this.
    Jim

Firearms safety is no accident.
    S&WHF #242
    S&WCA #2059
    NRA Patron Life

Member #
    Liked
    3309 times
    Quote Originally Posted by StrawHat View Post
    I previously used a Bianchi 5BH but about 7-8 years ago switched to fancier leather for EDC.

Kevin
    (edited 16 November, 2019)

While I have used a 5BH the holster in the photograph is a well used Safariland. I believe a Model 29. When I say well used, it has been restitched twice, most recently completely restitched. It was hard to retire it but I believe the Sunday holster is a suitable replacement.

Kevin

www.NoonSharpening.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Links