Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    24612 times

2019 S&W $50 Rebate for Shield handguns

S&W just announced a $50 rebate on Shield handguns:

https://www.smith-wesson.com/shield2019

The rebate applies to their 9mm and .380acp Shield handguns sold 10/14/2019 through 12/8/2019.

While I'm not a fan of the .380 EZ Shield (I've heard of too many out of the box problems with them) the 9mm Shield is a well made and reliable pistol from my experience. The Performance Center EZ is not included in the rebate.

The last time they ran similar rebates a few years ago (they were $75 then) there were a number of dealer promotions and sales that accompanied the rebate period. Perhaps we'll see the same this year?
    Last edited by mrerick; 10-12-2019 at 10:09 AM.
    Cheers! Marc

Check out my Gun Rights BLOG at: http://skilledshot.wordpress.com
    accipere facile, sed sumite! - Take it easy, but take it!
    NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol; Personal Protection Inside and Outside the Home; Rifle; Reloading: Chief RSO
    NC DOJ Concealed Carry Instructor; Appointed Member North Carolina Criminal Justice Information Network

Member #
    Liked
    28539 times
    That's kind of strange that it is ONLY the 9mm Shield with a rebate and not the .40 or .45.
    Well, the 380 too, but it isn't really a Shield. Its a completely different gun they stuck the Shield name on.
    mrerick likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    923 times
    I have a Shield EZ and have not had one problem of any kind including not being ammo picky, but I don't use aluminum or steel junk ammo ever. EXCEPT: It is impossible to load a magazine when you have a round in the chamber, (reloading while in action, or topping off for a full load of 9), such as you need to do for self defense or competition shooting. Hubby did manage to very forcefully slam one in once but he hurt his very strong hand doing it. Since this gun has mostly been purchased for women, I would not recommend it for a serious carry gun unless the woman is pretty darned sure she will not need more than the 8 rounds in the magazine. Also, there are smaller .380 guns that are more concealable and just as user friendly re: racking the slide, trigger pull, etc.

Even with that problem, I might buy a second one if I find a good deal to combine with that $50 rebate. As of last week the best price on line was still higher than I want to pay when I factor in shipping, sales tax and transfer fee.

Yes, more and more on line gun stores are having to charge state sales tax now. I don't have a problem with that. The states have lost too much income because people buy on line simply to not pay sales tax even though most states require you to file a form and pay them the tax that you didn't pay when you bought stuff on line. But how many people actually do that?
    Last edited by ShooterGranny; 10-12-2019 at 12:20 PM. Reason: additions and corrections

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    24612 times
    First, I'm happy to see you have a EZ that hasn't caused you problems. I don't know if what I've observed is a design or manufacturing defect, but I personally know of two cases where the EZ has has locked up and it's been impossible to disassemble it or even clear it.

On the first jammed pistol I had to deal with, it was thankfully possible to fire the cartridge then in the chamber, but not move the receiver off the frame to eject the case or even check what was jamming the pistol. This happened to one of my students and occurred on the third time a brand new firearm was fired. Rather than force anything, we suggested the student take the firearm back for repair and loaned them an instructor's pistol.

A similar jam has been reported on this forum.
    Cheers! Marc

NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol; Personal Protection Inside and Outside the Home; Rifle; Reloading: Chief RSO
    NC DOJ Concealed Carry Instructor; Appointed Member North Carolina Criminal Justice Information Network

Member #
    Liked
    923 times
    YIKES! I've shot several hundred rounds through mine and know at least a couple other women who have the EZ's and they have been problem free. I think Smith has sold a ton of them and wonder if those two were "just lemons?"

I know one woman who bought a S&W .22 compact that was a total lemon. She is the only person I've ever heard of that got a bad .22 compact. I have a few thousand rounds through that one and it is just plain fun on the range. In fact, one of our newbies came to her first session with an EZ, but after shooting my .22 compact she bought one for herself and I don't think she has shot her EZ since them.

Might just wait and look for great sale prices and get myself another .22 compact since I shoot it so much more than I shoot Zelda (yes, that is EZ spelled backwards - but I also shoot left handed, so............ )

Both of those Smiths are range toys.

I found one thread here about the same problem but it was a Shield .40
    https://www.smithandwessonforums.com...e-chamber.html
    Last edited by ShooterGranny; 10-13-2019 at 12:52 AM. Reason: add link

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    24612 times
    I've had good experiences with the 9mm Shield and have seen a number of them brought to class. I own the Performance Center version, which has a better trigger and a ported barrel with upgraded sights.

I am NOT a fan of the cost reduced Sigma line, some of which have awful triggers as a result of their cost reduced design.

Since I could not disassemble the EZ that jammed at the range, I didn't get a good look at it's mechanism.

As we're talking about self-defense firearms, I consider reliability to be the most important asset. I often wait until I'm sure a design is proven before recommending or buying one.

Most of the M&P line in 9mm, .40 S&W and .45acp I own and have seen are excellent. We teach with full size M&P .22LR pistols owned by our club and have had no problems with them.

Over the years, I've seen manufacturers in several industries "pollute" their brands by introducing multiple grades of product under the same branding. Cost reduced versions carry the same brand as the full quality products. This is both confusing to consumers, and actually violates long term trust in brands. Companies do quite a bit of market research before making such decisions. In the case of firearms, they know that consumers generally buy them, shoot them briefly and then put them away without getting any training or practice.

When profits take a front seat over quality, you also see lapses in production quality give way to manufacturing quotas which pressure line workers to just move on instead of resolving assembly problems. I fear that S&W has been more prone to this than many other manufacturers. You can fix it in the factory or fix it in the field.

Of course, anyone can make a mistake. Here, from years ago, is a sad example. This made it out the door in a firearm that had passed S&W quality control:

Name:  your kidding right.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  101.5 KB

It's a 686 cylinder fluted for seven rounds, but chambered for six. Look at the cylinder's chamber walls. And, it's clearly been fired before anyone noticed.
    Last edited by mrerick; 10-13-2019 at 09:26 AM.
    Cheers! Marc

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    24612 times
    PSA just listed the 9mm Luger Shield at $210 after rebate...

https://palmettostatearmory.com/smit...ety-10035.html
    Cheers! Marc

Links