• 3 Post By USMC Snakedriver
  • 1 Post By msharley

Thread: Lead Head Practice

Member #
    Liked
    13698 times

Cool Lead Head Practice

Hey ,

We (the Lead Heads) had our first practice of the year, yesterday. I was using a speed loader revolver and had a reloading problem.

Still and all, a 32 target array, in less than 50 seconds, comes to less than 1.5 seconds/shot. January Lead Head Practice 012 - YouTube and to see a few other cool videos, feel free to look at my youtube channel. http://www.youtube.com/feed/?feature=guide

Lots of cool revolver antics, and some semi-auto fun.

Later, Mark
    NWDave likes this.

Member #
    Wet Side of the Mountains - Washington State
    Liked
    5618 times
    Nice. So, are you shooting for speed or # of hits in the total run?
    msharley likes this.
    "Lord I'm not askin' to go right now but, if you call me now, I pray my remains may be found in a pile of hot brass surrounded by my dead enemies!"

"What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others."

Retired Military: 1963-1967 U.S. Navy 1971-1987 U.S. Air Force

Member #
    Liked
    13698 times
    Hey NWDave,

Steel shooting is a timed event, all targets must be engaged (which I did not do). LOL

I normally use a 625, with the full moon clips, and rarely shoot the .38's.

Need to pay mind to the orientation of the .38 revolver, muzzle must be vertical to eject. Otherwise, the empty closest to the frame can "hang up". Pain to dig up while the clock is running. LOL

Here is a short video of me, at the Pitcarin Monroeville Match, last summer. Eleven aimed shots (targets were 6" x 8" on this stage), in 13 seconds. Mark, filling up twice.MTS - YouTube

Later, Mark
    DocZeus and paulwv like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Wet Side of the Mountains - Washington State
    Liked
    5618 times
    Interesting. As you know, there are as many variations to the shooting of steel as there are gun clubs, fortunately. Your 32 plate rack, I've never seen before. Are those basically 6 or 8 " rounds? Your Pitcarin match: do you have vids of the targets. I saw one shooter (had a red dot on her pistol) "giving lessons", who was apparently shooting something different (poppers?). Always like to see what others are doing, to see if we can adapt it to our clubs variety. And yes, I favor a 625 as well. All I got to say is: I'm darn glad I reload or I couldn't afford to play.
    msharley likes this.
    "Lord I'm not askin' to go right now but, if you call me now, I pray my remains may be found in a pile of hot brass surrounded by my dead enemies!"

"What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others."

Retired Military: 1963-1967 U.S. Navy 1971-1987 U.S. Air Force

Supporting Member
    Member #
    Liked
    18232 times
    That was pretty good, Mark. Interesting seeing other shooting games.
    DocZeus, msharley and paulwv like this.

Member #
    Liked
    13698 times
    Quote Originally Posted by NWDave View Post
    Interesting. As you know, there are as many variations to the shooting of steel as there are gun clubs, fortunately. Your 32 plate rack, I've never seen before. Are those basically 6 or 8 " rounds? Your Pitcarin match: do you have vids of the targets. I saw one shooter (had a red dot on her pistol) "giving lessons", who was apparently shooting something different (poppers?). Always like to see what others are doing, to see if we can adapt it to our clubs variety. And yes, I favor a 625 as well. All I got to say is: I'm darn glad I reload or I couldn't afford to play.
    Hey NW Dave,

That array, is one of target/practice array set ups. We have a couple more, can mix/match.

Most shoots, the 6 shot revolver is "Stock", and the eight shooter is "Open". Two different classes.

We shoot three big matches a year. The PSA Shootout (Palmyra, Pa), at the end of April. Pittsburgh Steel (Pitcarin Monroeville Sptsmn Club), the beginning of June (Monroeville, Pa.) And the really fun Holidaysburg Match, in September (Holidaysburg Sptsmn) in Holidaysburg, Pa.

We practice at Loagan's Ferry (LFSC), near Monroeville, Pa. Our practice targets are designed to not need running out and setting them up, after every shooter.

Miss Diane uses a 7 shooter, with a Doctor sight. She is in open revolver. And she shoots very well.

Later, Mark
    NWDave likes this.

Links