Virginia Citizens Defense League
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Virginia Citizens Defense League

Member #
    Liked
    6548 times

Virginia Citizens Defense League

Although I am life member of the NRA I have lost a lot of faith in the governing body. I am probably going to renew my membership in GOA and since I reside In Va. I just pulled the trigger on VCDL. I am of the opinion that these "grass roots" organizations do more good locally than the NRA. Any thoughts are welcome.
    OzarkMarine, jeepnut and Bob K like this.
    Charlie686

" All that is required for evil to prevail is that good men do nothing"

"If You Can't Move Mountains, Sweep Pebbles...Do Something For Jesus Today!"

"Don't look within searching for truth...You are confused already"

NRA Life Member

Member #
    Liked
    4348 times
    ISRA ( Illinois State Rifle Assn.)does a lot more to curb government excesses here than the NRA does. (EG, they're the ones that sued Deeerfield over the semi-auto ban) I'm a member of both. Guess NRA is too busy with Wayne's wardrobe to look at local actions.
    Injunbro, Bob K and jeepnut like this.
    "The right to buy weapons is the right to be free." -A.E. van Vogt

" It is simply not possible to believe fossil fuel emissions will destroy the world and, at the same time, oppose nuclear power. "- Dennis Prager

Member #
    Liked
    291 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie686 View Post
    Although I am life member of the NRA I have lost a lot of faith in the governing body. I am probably going to renew my membership in GOA and since I reside In Va. I just pulled the trigger on VCDL. I am of the opinion that these "grass roots" organizations do more good locally than the NRA. Any thoughts are welcome.
    Also life here. I gotta agree that an EFFECTIVE state group, such as the VCDL or the WVCDL can really make the difference. Certainly the lack of such an effective group really shows here in Florida, a couple of orgs try to do that job, but are, to be kind about it, lacking. I've tried to advocate the approach that both the Virginias groups have taken, but as yet theres been no uptake, and I am utterly convinced that without such we will simply have more and more of the red flag, under 18 prohibitions and an increasingly tighter net drawn!

I can't say I agree with your view of the NRA..........and NO I too dislike the hell out of the crap now ongoing......still, the bald fact remains that the NRA is......IS......the big dog in the legislative fight on a National level.......the organization that is damned to hell and blazes by the anti's............reflect on it and you find it difficult to find the same invective thrown at GOA.......JFPO (if they still exist), et al.

One thing that really does grab my nads is the representation we currently have in Florida via the 'Unified Florida Sportsman'.............yeah, I know, headed by a former NRA president.............but I know of no members, I have never seen any table of organization or structure.........yes, it's leader, Marion Hamer does have the ear of certain legislators but in terms of effectiveness my call is that it is a clawless lion......unfortunately!

I am posiitively sure however, that if we continue to permit those opposing forces divide us we all lose.............think Beto.........he may be a hayrake in terms of mentality, but he is a clear reflection of what we are up against and division only plays into those agendas.
    bearcat6 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    4348 times
    I find it pretty amazing that Florida has no state rifle assn.
    Injunbro and dogrunner like this.
    "The right to buy weapons is the right to be free." -A.E. van Vogt

" It is simply not possible to believe fossil fuel emissions will destroy the world and, at the same time, oppose nuclear power. "- Dennis Prager

Member #
    Liked
    57163 times
    I'm a NRA life member & used to be a strong supporter but, just like the republican party, when anyone is in the same position too long they lose direction. The NRA's wine club is a classic example of a total loss of any clue what they're supposed to be doing. They're still the big dog in the fight but w/out fresh blood they're dead. Local groups are good of course & need to be supported, everything starts small & hopefully grows.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment & buy one" Jesus - Luke 22:36

Member #
    Liked
    58463 times
    I do belong to several in Georgia. Think NRA and other National Organizations can fight for National issues and help with infringing laws. However, in the States, we need to keep our own backyards free and insure we elect the right Representatives to Congress. That is my perception of State vs National organizations.
    dogrunner, Charlie686 and Injunbro like this.
    Regards,
    Rodney

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead."

Thomas Paine

Member #
    Liked
    6548 times
    I went ahead and joined GOA as well today. I figure it can't hurt , only help.
    Injunbro and jeepnut like this.
    Charlie686

" All that is required for evil to prevail is that good men do nothing"

"If You Can't Move Mountains, Sweep Pebbles...Do Something For Jesus Today!"

"Don't look within searching for truth...You are confused already"

NRA Life Member

Member #
    Liked
    291 times
    Quote Originally Posted by delcrossv View Post
    I find it pretty amazing that Florida has no state rifle assn.

Kinda amazing isn't it!.........................Y'know, I really do not want to throw rocks at anyone, including Ms Hamer, but truth be told somethin's gotta be done or we will reap hell ultimately. Florida is on the cusp of turning blue, the Governors election was a tight tossup............and that with a corrupt mayor as De Santis opposition..............only God knows what that would've brought us, nothing good, that's for certain and sure! The power brokers here are in both south and sw Florida, and they all have northeastern roots.........south of the I/4 corridor you start going north in attitude and that translates to blue!..............Kinda like Illinois with heading Northerly.

As said, I hate to be negative, but I am a realist. I knew Ms. Hamer in the 80's when as a sitting CLEO I did one of the NRA national ads.......I was kinda flattered to be editoralized against by name by no less than the NY times, but I did take a batch of heat for that ad, my belief is that y ou are right in calling the 'too long there' label. Ms. Hamer has it in her grasp to turn that non existant entity she heads into something that would leave a legacy, but I guess that's a hard call when you've been at it for multiple decades...........

GOA, or any others I know mean the best, but truly are underloaded for the game afoot!!!
    delcrossv and Injunbro like this.

Member #
    Liked
    13593 times
    My local state organization is GOAL (Gun Owners' Action League), but they are an extention of the NRA. They disputed several laws in the state, against criminals NOT having the right to own a gun again., after they served their time in prison. I feel that's a mistake, and would not join GOAL because of it. If they are more concerned about former criminals getting legal guns, then gun owners' rights, (They haven't prevented the state from taking our gun rights away!) Then, they don't deserve MY support!!!!! Bob
    Last edited by Bob K; 09-17-2019 at 02:59 PM.
    When you want the BEST! Bob

Member #
    Liked
    617 times
    I became an NRA Life member on Sept 12, 2001, after watching the horrific attack in line of sight distance from the roof of St Marys Hospital.
    Just moved to Knoxville, TN and I think I will look into smaller orgs as well That makes sense.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links