Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6
Like Tree212Likes

Thread: "Carry here prohibited" signs

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    23884 times
    Actually, if the parking lot is part of the Federal post office, you can't lawfully bring it into the parking lot inside your car. It's all considered controlled Federal property.

You only get a pass on the parking lot if the lot is shared between a number of businesses and the lot has not been posted. If it's exclusive to the Post Office, you're SOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Fandango1949 View Post
    If you have to leave your weapon in you vehicle, say at a post office for instance, that gives a thief an opportunity.
    Cheers! Marc

Check out my Gun Rights BLOG at: http://skilledshot.wordpress.com
    accipere facile, sed sumite! - Take it easy, but take it!
    NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol; Personal Protection Inside and Outside the Home; Rifle; Reloading: Chief RSO
    NC DOJ Concealed Carry Instructor; Appointed Member North Carolina Criminal Justice Information Network

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    23884 times
    I continue to believe that you're self-defense right trumps someone else's property right as long as you're behaving lawfully - at least in places of public accommodation that regularly invite members of the public onto the premises. Concealed carry helps ensure that you can have the effective means of self defense without triggering hoplophobes (fear of guns) that might see you with a firearm in an unfamiliar context.

Private property is another story entirely. An individual must have complete control over that, and that is assured in constitutional as well as traditional law.

How exactly is it "right" for a business owner to dictate whether or not I can effectively defend myself when visiting their place of business? When someone invites me onto their property, but prevents me from lawfully protecting myself (effectively creating a criminal / terrorist / psychopath attracting "massacre zone") shouldn't they take responsibility for it?

Same thing goes for schools, government buildings and installations.

While constitutionally recognized rights are unrelated to each other, I think we've got the prioritization of rights upside down.
    Higtoo and PandRFan like this.
    Cheers! Marc

Check out my Gun Rights BLOG at: http://skilledshot.wordpress.com
    accipere facile, sed sumite! - Take it easy, but take it!
    NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol; Personal Protection Inside and Outside the Home; Rifle; Reloading: Chief RSO
    NC DOJ Concealed Carry Instructor; Appointed Member North Carolina Criminal Justice Information Network

Member #
    Liked
    220 times
    If a firm does not want me to carry on their premises then I will honor their wish even if I can legally ignore them.
    To be vintage it must be older than me.

The next handgun I buy will be the next to last handgun I ever buy.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    26 times

Property rights are core American freedom.

Interesting topic. Here is my take.

I do not even get to the question about whether posting is enforceable.

For me, it comes down to respecting the rights of others. To the same extent that I ask that they respect my rights.

Property rights . At its heart - the right of the owner to hold property and use it as he or she deems fit as long as it does not unreasonably infringe on the rights of others. Historically a core American freedom.

Property rights. The right of a citizen not to have his or her property, or their rights to use it taken without just compensation. Enshrined in the 5th Amendment and applied by the Supreme Court to prohibit unreasonable government regulation that amounts to a taking.

Property rights. I try to respect the right of owners to use their property as they wish and set the rules — be it guns allowed or not allowed (or shirt and shoes required). Just like I try to respect the rights of citizens to speak their mind or worship in ways I do not agree with and just like I try to respect the rights guaranteed under the 2nd Amendment.

Agree or disagree. But that is my take.
    sig_230 likes this.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Links