Smith And Wesson Forums banner

"Carry here prohibited" signs

8K views 57 replies 35 participants last post by  Charlie686 
#1 ·
There are several several businesses here in town with big signs on the front door barring carrying on their premises. (It is not illegal to do so so I carry there anyway).;) It amazes me what these Snowflakes think these signs are gonna accomplish. I guess they figger if a criminal intent on coming in and shooting up the place sees that sign their gonna think "Dang, I ain't allowed to carry a a gun here. Guess I gotta go someplace else".:confused:
I really wanna talk to the owners and ask that question.
Jim

#35 ·
Nebraska laws are screwy. Such a sign has the force of law, but only for conceal carry permit holders whom no one should know is carrying. Its a misdemeanor offense. For those who do not have a conceal carry permit and open carry into such a place all they can do is ask you to leave. I suspect if you don't leave you could get charged with trespassing. Guns are banned from government buildings, banks, hospitals, schools, and school sporting events. Did not originally apply to colleges or universities but the University of Nebraska pushed for adding them. Which put them in the situation of illegally having guns on university property for shooting sports. Had to get the law amended to exempt the shooting sports.

Local arena spent $140,000 on metal detectors when it would have cost them nothing to allow Nebraskans to be armed for their own defense.

#41 ·
To get conceal carry permit in Nebraska you have to go to nearest state patrol office, guns are banned there, except for officers. I never saw one, the process was handled by women not in uniform and not visibly armed. They just recently added online renewal.

#47 · (Edited)
I can't read sign language.......

There was a business around here, a truck stop, had a no weapon sign on the front door...

But, not a sign on the side door, just a few steps away, I just stay on the right side,

I used the side door. No problems.

Went by the local credit union...New signage says no weapons, etc...

I ask the gal behind the counter about it....Well, she says we don't have any cash on premise,

I said, Well, they (the outlaws) finding out there's no cash, might just end up taking you instead !

The look on her face was priceless.

I have full respect for private property rights.....

If'n a business is open to the public, expect the public !

#51 ·
Actually, if the parking lot is part of the Federal post office, you can't lawfully bring it into the parking lot inside your car. It's all considered controlled Federal property.

You only get a pass on the parking lot if the lot is shared between a number of businesses and the lot has not been posted. If it's exclusive to the Post Office, you're SOL.

#49 · (Edited)
I always follow these threads with a bit of interest. The last time I thought on the subject, any activity that required a permit/license/registration was a privilege, not a right in the eyes of the law. Someone wiser than I once said the power of attorneys was found in the ambiguity of the law. I believe in private property and in the rights of property owners. While I may personally "feel" that taking Grandma's farm, after just compensation of course, to build a high school is disagreeable but perhaps necessary. Taking it to build an apartment complex that will generate far more property tax is reprehensible, but sadly it is often legal.

I generally find myself on the side of property owners. Your place, your rules, even large corporate holdings. Now I am free to avoid or even publically boycott the place. Firearms prohibitions in workplaces, rental properties, public buildings, public places, athletic events, houses of worship etc. etc. have been around for a while. Now we see airport style security being extended to public gatherings, entertainment venues and the like.

Our government rests on a razor's edge pivot point. The balance always (at least every two years) threatens to shift. Twelve years ago I thought the referendum on becoming Western Europe was settled. "Yes we can" in my inaccurate view was here we go. That we boomeranged back with only 30% of conservative voters enthusiastic about their candidate is remarkable. Now the other side seems to be enjoying a bloated primary season of wannabe candidates.

Most of the rights, privileges, behaviors we enjoy are due to our state governance. The power on the federal side is more often threatening. Your SCOTUS currently defines your 2A right as being able to maintain a handgun in your home subject to a reasonable permitting process. Every other freedom you enjoy comes from your state and their reciprocity with other states. Register, vote, contribute to causes and candidates. And please, do not call the ignorant, ill-informed, wrongly convinced; largely scared Americans nasty names and worse. It serves no purpose worth mentioning.

#52 ·
I continue to believe that you're self-defense right trumps someone else's property right as long as you're behaving lawfully - at least in places of public accommodation that regularly invite members of the public onto the premises. Concealed carry helps ensure that you can have the effective means of self defense without triggering hoplophobes (fear of guns) that might see you with a firearm in an unfamiliar context.

Private property is another story entirely. An individual must have complete control over that, and that is assured in constitutional as well as traditional law.

How exactly is it "right" for a business owner to dictate whether or not I can effectively defend myself when visiting their place of business? When someone invites me onto their property, but prevents me from lawfully protecting myself (effectively creating a criminal / terrorist / psychopath attracting "massacre zone") shouldn't they take responsibility for it?

Same thing goes for schools, government buildings and installations.

While constitutionally recognized rights are unrelated to each other, I think we've got the prioritization of rights upside down.

Reactions: PandRFan and Higtoo
#54 ·
Property rights are core American freedom.

Interesting topic. Here is my take.

I do not even get to the question about whether posting is enforceable.

For me, it comes down to respecting the rights of others. To the same extent that I ask that they respect my rights.

Property rights . At its heart - the right of the owner to hold property and use it as he or she deems fit as long as it does not unreasonably infringe on the rights of others. Historically a core American freedom.

Property rights. The right of a citizen not to have his or her property, or their rights to use it taken without just compensation. Enshrined in the 5th Amendment and applied by the Supreme Court to prohibit unreasonable government regulation that amounts to a taking.

Property rights. I try to respect the right of owners to use their property as they wish and set the rules — be it guns allowed or not allowed (or shirt and shoes required). Just like I try to respect the rights of citizens to speak their mind or worship in ways I do not agree with and just like I try to respect the rights guaranteed under the 2nd Amendment.

Agree or disagree. But that is my take.

#57 ·
Here in Florida - with a few exceptions - an employer cannot prohibit an employee from keeping his/her gun locked in their car in the employee parking lot.

#58 ·
I live in Va. and carry everywhere ( CCP ). But I'm soon to be walking around unarmed. We are moving to the communist state of Maryland. My daughter had a stroke last Feb. and my wife has been living in Md. as her caregiver. The financial burden is overwhelming and the only solution is to move...Not looking forward to walking the streets naked so to speak. I could carry anyway but I don't think I want to risk it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.