Like Tree67Likes

Thread: The strange situation of "Gun Free Zones"

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    20916 times

The strange situation of "Gun Free Zones"

Through most human history, people have considered human life much more important than property.

But this is not the case in much of the United States, including North Carolina where I live.

This state routinely allows property owners that open up public accommodations (like a business or private school) to exercise their property rights by establishing supposed "Gun Free Zones" and then take absolutely no responsibility for that action.

That means that they are without blame if someone they prohibit you from defending yourself against comes onto their property and hurts or kills you.

That's just wrong.

Here's a brief discussion that everyone needs to consider. We need nationwide "Gun Ban Liability" laws that make these property owners responsible for their actions, including provision of private security and complete liability for your injuries if you're attacked on their property.

That might just make some property owners reconsider your rights to self defense when they consider creating "Gun Free Zones".

https://skilledshot.wordpress.com/20...orth-carolina/
    jonesy814, MWAG, Injunbro and 8 others like this.
    Cheers! Marc

Check out my Gun Rights BLOG at: http://skilledshot.wordpress.com
    accipere facile, sed sumite! - Take it easy, but take it!
    NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol; Personal Protection Inside and Outside the Home; Rifle; Reloading: Chief RSO
    NC DOJ Concealed Carry Instructor; Appointed Member North Carolina Criminal Justice Information Network

Member #
    Liked
    5180 times
    I like it! Make them eat the responsibility.

Member #
    Liked
    3788 times
    Same situation in Nebraska. The law doesn't even set requirements for what the "no guns" sign has to look like. Some of them are so small they're regularly missed. And its a misdemeanor offense to be caught carrying although the first offense is not prosecutible. The Nebraska Firearms Owners Association has lists of gun friendly and unfriendly business. Bu they're dependent on members making submissions.
    jeepnut and msharley like this.
    "I ask, who are the militia? They consist now of the whole people, except a few public officers.”
    -- George Mason, co-author of the 2nd Amendment

"Make yourself sheep and the wolves will eat you."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    2286 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MWAG View Post
    I like it! Make them eat the responsibility.
    ABSOLUTELY! Why not? They are liable for any other foreseeable thing that could happen to you on their property, even if they didn't do anything to directly contribute to it. Which is what they are doing by establishing the "gun free zone".
    The gooberment should be held responsible for the shootings that happen in the "gun free zones" they establish and enforce too.
    jeepnut and msharley like this.
    Always looking for a deal on more reloading components & ammo. I once tried to see things from the liberal perspective - but I discovered I'm not flexible enough to get my head up my ...

Member #
    Liked
    789 times
    I can walk out and slip in their parking lot and sue them but if I get shot........... mind blown.
    Injunbro, jeepnut and msharley like this.

Member #
    Liked
    1463 times
    While I would like to see it happen everywhere, I do not think such laws have any chance of being enacted. The insurance companies will lobby intensively to avoid potential liability. Chambers of commerce will protest, and so will anti 2A groups citing that denying property owner discretion would lead to the loss of guests who do not want to be in the presence of guns have a right to not be. Some business associations would argue that the proprietor would be financially harmed by increased insurance costs and loss of business from prospective customers who want to be shielded from guns.

If the a bill was enacted into law, the court challenge would be immediate. The plea would cover.

Prohibiting guns:
    Does not violate the Second Amendment,
    Is within the Constutionsl rights of an owner of property to protect people from possible harm,
    Is anti firearm expression guaranteed under the First Amendment,
    Does. Or violate gun owners right to defend themselves since they could stay elsewhere.

If anyone is going to wait for such a law, then best be prepared for an never ending wait.
    msharley likes this.
    “There is nothing better than getting shot at and missed. It’s really great.”
    General James Mattis, USMC retired and now Def Sec

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    20916 times
    While I agree with you that there should be no "Gun Free Zones", what's being proposed is a mechanism to eventually get there. Sometimes you have to think around the problem.

Supposed "Gun Free Zones" are a reality today nationwide. They are currently reasonably popular among business owners.

The very small number of citizens that boycott such businesses today obviously don't have enough impact to get property owners to resist the "gun control" zealots. Many will actually set GFZs up just to attract their business, and they perceive that most people don't carry guns anyway. They simply don't care if they drive us away.

With a "Gun Ban Liability" statute in force, business owners would be forced to take responsibility for their actions and faced with one of two alternatives, both of which cost them money.

One option would make them hire expensive security guards. Something tells me that security guard unions would support this.

The other would increase the cost of their liability insurance. Something tells me that insurance companies would not stand in the way of higher premiums.

Those things the business owners would all care about.
    jeepnut, msharley and Curt360 like this.
    Cheers! Marc

NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol; Personal Protection Inside and Outside the Home; Rifle; Reloading: Chief RSO
    NC DOJ Concealed Carry Instructor; Appointed Member North Carolina Criminal Justice Information Network

Member #
    Liked
    7417 times
    Re: OP. No. The property owner has every right to determine how his property will be used ... or not used. If someone wishes to legally enter property, then it is incumbent upon them to enter according to the wishes of the owner. If the individual/group will not abide by those wishes, then there is no obligation on the owner to accommodate their wishes. In the case of CC/OC, it is a problem for those of us who wish to CC/OC within the law. But, AFAIK, there is no obligation for a property owner to subordinate his property rights or for his property rights to be subjected to the 2nd Amendment rights of another person. In malls, etc., which are privately owned public spaces, one does not have unrestricted CC/OC rights ... the same as those who would roller skate, smoke, pan handle, etc. Further one enters such property at one's own responsibility. AFAIK, the owner is not at risk of liability for not protecting someone from a criminal/crime. Responsibility for a crime lies with the criminal. It may be possible that a owner might be held guilty of contributory negligence. JMHO. Sincerely. bruce.
    GPBurdell, msharley and Curt360 like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    20916 times
    But in effect, NC law permits a public accommodation business property owner to subordinate my right to self defense with his property rights without consequence or taking any responsibility for that action.

While the criminal is responsible for the crime, the property owner is responsible for attracting the criminal to their supposed Gun Free Zone. This is the essence of contributory negligence, and that's why a "Gun Ban Liability" law is needed.

Ideally, there would be no prohibition against carrying concealed permitted anywhere since that is a law abiding action that only helps other people, and prohibitions are based upon irrational prejudice. Since those laws are in force for now, something needs to be done to compensate for their impact on law abiding citizens.
    msharley, Injunbro and Curt360 like this.
    Cheers! Marc

Member #
    Liked
    2286 times
    Rights come with responsibilities.
    While the property owner has the RIGHT to say I can't carry my (legal) CCW on his property, he also has the RESPONSIBILITY to ensure that those restrictions don't make me vulnerable to harm.
    msharley, Injunbro, MWAG and 3 others like this.
    Always looking for a deal on more reloading components & ammo. I once tried to see things from the liberal perspective - but I discovered I'm not flexible enough to get my head up my ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Links