Why "Fix NICS" is actually creeping gun control in a pretty package...
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: Why "Fix NICS" is actually creeping gun control in a pretty package...

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    24525 times

Why "Fix NICS" is actually creeping gun control in a pretty package...

Please contact your US senator to oppose the "Fix NICS" legislation, Senate bill S.2135 and contact your congressional representative to oppose house resolution HR.4477.

If your senator or representative is a sponsor of this deeply flawed legislation, ask them to drop their sponsorship.

This article contains a good analysis of the deep flaws in this lightly camouflaged gun control bill.

https://www.ammoland.com/2017/12/fix...ntal-problems/

The core problem with the bill is that it continues to encourage agencies to report otherwise law abiding people (many without any violent background) to the system, making them prohibited persons without due process. The lack of due process ends up interfering with second amendment rights and setting up a very expensive and time consuming process to restore those rights.

Agencies like Social Security and the Veteran's Administration have reported huge numbers of non-violent people to NICS without due process. This law will just make the problem much worse, especially if and when we get a less firearms friendly government administration that has the goal of civilian firearms confiscation and elimination.

NICS is a badly conceived and operated system that can never stop crime and terrorism. It's more likely to incorrectly identify people as prohibited and could well become the progressive liberal gun grabber's mechanism of choice for gun control.
    GPBurdell, msharley, hogg and 6 others like this.
    Cheers! Marc

Check out my Gun Rights BLOG at: http://skilledshot.wordpress.com
    accipere facile, sed sumite! - Take it easy, but take it!
    NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol; Personal Protection Inside and Outside the Home; Rifle; Reloading: Chief RSO
    NC DOJ Concealed Carry Instructor; Appointed Member North Carolina Criminal Justice Information Network

Member #
    Liked
    668 times
    The whole system is a joke. If a person is determined safe enough to walk amongst society they should be afforded the same rights as everyone else.

Travis

Member #
    Liked
    12739 times
    I humbly disagree. I'm with NSSF on this issue.
    https://www.nssf.org/what-fixing-nic...s-not-portend/
    Waidmann likes this.
    ~Jerry | Buckeye Firearms | ORPA
    Life Member DAV | NRA Distinguished | RWVA

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    84862 times
    Interesting articles with two different explanations of the legislation. After reading both I tend to agree with 1av8r. From what I can see the legislation does not prohibit due process to law abiding citizens, rather makes it more difficult for those who shouldn't have firearms.

Member #
    Liked
    668 times
    What is exactly is the due process for a doctor to determine I'm nuts and have my name entered into NICS?
    Injunbro and jeepnut like this.

Member #
    Liked
    10228 times
    ^ good on you 1av8r. We have a number of persons from paroled felons, mentally challenged, etc. walking the streets. We have the CDC wanting to declare an epidemic. The product liability folks and injury lawyers panting.

I do not know where we currently stand the subject of persons who are no longer able (or willing) to manage their own affairs. Nor am I aware of the status of persons seeking treatment and/or disability through the Veterans Affairs medical system for mental health issues. If any knows these answers please speak up.

To the degree that disqualification is based on genuinely objective rather than shallow subjective criteria is indeed a worthy fight. I too identify with the NSSF position as stated. I also know this will be a word by word fight every time legislation is considered.

Head-in-the-sand rhetoric solves nothing.
    jeepnut likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    668 times
    If the NSSF (or any other entity) wants gun owners to be onboard with some new legislation, they should articulate what exactly the new legislation entails.

Just my opinion but "due process" seems to get tossed around pretty carelessly these days.

Travis
    Injunbro and jeepnut like this.

Member #
    Liked
    12739 times
    Travis, in this context, due process requires a court hearing to determine mental capacity. That's what Obama and others were trying to get around when they allowed bureaucrats to deny veterans and Social Security recipients their 2nd amendment rights. They were (and are) denying many citizens due process. Fix NICS does nothing to take away the right of due process.
    ~Jerry | Buckeye Firearms | ORPA
    Life Member DAV | NRA Distinguished | RWVA

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    4632 times
    Nowadays I’m pretty much against most of what the NRA is pushing. I am an Endowment level member.
    ChattanoogaPhil likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    24525 times
    The problem with the NICS bills is that they open up NICS to easy abuse by a number of agencies and individuals. It will be bureaucratically easy to put someone on the list as prohibited, and remain prohibitively expensive to regain your rights.

Agencies and individuals will have a simple mechanism to use to report people that is decentralized and very difficult to monitor and controll. All it will take to violate due process and put someone on this list will be agency rules or the opinion of a mental health worker. A future administration that is not friendly to gun owners will find it simple to increasingly prohibit people from owning firearms.

This is a slippery slope, and greases the skids to gun prohibition and confiscation. Regardless of NSSF and NRA's judgement and support of the bill, you - the gun owner - are the target of this bill. It may not affect you today, but it could easily be abused to affect you in the future.

If you trust the gun grabbers that are behind the bill, speak up now. I'd like to understand how they convinced you...
    Injunbro and Sportymonk like this.
    Cheers! Marc

Check out my Gun Rights BLOG at: http://skilledshot.wordpress.com
    accipere facile, sed sumite! - Take it easy, but take it!
    NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol; Personal Protection Inside and Outside the Home; Rifle; Reloading: Chief RSO
    NC DOJ Concealed Carry Instructor; Appointed Member North Carolina Criminal Justice Information Network

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Links