Smith And Wesson Forums banner

Half lug vs full underlug?

11K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  pacecars 
#1 ·
Just curious .. designers might make changes based solely on aesthetics but engineers I think wouldnt .. What are the advantages or disadvantages of Half Lug Vs full lug from a performance/longevity angle?
Alex

#3 ·
Prolly some of both. Injunbro makes a good point, but I don't like full lug guns and so only have one- in a J frame .38 Spl, no less. :lol:

It would make absolutely no difference from a longevity angle.

#6 · (Edited)
The full lug must add a significant amount of weight. I don't know if the steels or different or what other differences there might be but I weighed my 3"686 and my Half lug Ruger Match 10mm champion with 4.2 bbl and the GP was only 2 ozs heavier.

Edited to add
I may have messed up how I worded it so here is what I got
3" 686 unloaded 2lb 4 oz
4.2" Ruger GP100 Half jug unloaded 2lb 6oz

#11 ·
The full lug must add a significant amount of weight. I don't know if the steels or different or what other differences there might be but I weighed my 3"686 and my Half lug Ruger Match 10mm champion with 4.2 bbl and the GP was only 2 ozs lighter.
It's not just the "weight", ya also gotta consider the "balance".......and the "balance" factor increases with "recoil & lift".

#7 · (Edited)
I like both styles. I am glad S&W makes revolvers both ways. Otherwise they would all look alike.
The initial Pythons had a hollow underlug. Someone along the way decided the extra weight at the barrel would be nice for recoil control, and they started making it solid, so I would think that was an engineering change, since the looks didn't change
According to the factory websites, the 3 inch 686 plus weighs 36.8 oz., and the 3 inch GP100 weighs 36 oz.
The new 2.75 inch, model 66 weighs in at 33.5 ounces, so over 3 ounces for the extra quarter inch of barrel with full underlug

#19 ·
it all comes down to mass and balance. I do like a 686.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.