I don't 'collect' firearms, I use them.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: I don't 'collect' firearms, I use them.

Member #
    Liked
    20455 times

I don't 'collect' firearms, I use them.

Guess it's nice to have a 'collection'. Not something I desire to do however. All the firearms in my gun cabinet I use, why I purchased them in the first place.

To me, a firearm is a tool, just like a knife (have a couple of those as well) and my 'toolbox' has everything I require to effectuate the disciplines I enjoy (hunting and indoor target shooting) and for self protection.

I enjoy looking at others collections but my philosophy is, if I'm not going to use them as a tool to advance my hunting or self protection, I have no need for them, nor do I want them.

Other than a very few select firearms I don't view them in general as a good investment either.

Just my 2 cents and while you may agree or not, that is how I operate. I don't 'love' my firearms, they are just objects, machines to be used and used properly.

Love my wife, my pup and my son. Other than those 3 things, everything else is just an acquired tool.

No, I don't 'love' Amy's cats. In fact I dislike them but it's part of the marriage deal so I 'tolerate' them.
    Daryl......

'You can fool some of the people all of the time, all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool mom....

Member #
    Liked
    1166 times
    Both hubby and I feel pretty much the same way about our guns, with one exception for each of us, and those are revolvers which are almost never used but we keep them "for sentimental reasons." So I guess not all of our small collection of guns are tools after all.

Unless you really know what you are doing, buying firearms for investments seems to me a very good way of tying up money that could earn a little in a CD from an insured bank. I've seen too many people think they were buying investments and then, way too late, they or their heirs found out that a gun (or anything else) is worth exactly what a willing buyer will pay for it at a certain moment in time.....usually not close to what was paid for it originally. But I think the same "unless you really know what you are doing" applies to most investments. My opinion.

Member #
    Liked
    69817 times
    No collection as I intend to shoot them all and share with the Grandkids. Some get more use than others but they are awaiting a range trip. When tire I do trade or sell but do not expect huge profit. So, there is an assimilation of a variety of young and old guns for enjoyment and self defense if needed.
    Curt360 likes this.
    Regards,
    Rodney

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead."

Thomas Paine

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    6838 times
    Name:  _I am th Weapon.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  96.7 KB
    FlaRon, Curt360, Thewelshm and 2 others like this.
    NULLI SECUNDUS

Member #
    Liked
    5013 times
    I have them...........NO explanation necessary.
    Curt360 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    7913 times
    Hmm. What I don't see is the distinction between "collecting" and "using". I have a bunch of arguably "collectible" pieces. I shoot them at the range, so do my kids.

What I don't understand are the folks who get the ANIB guns at a big premium and stuff them in the safe never to see the light of day. What are they waiting for?

That said, I'm not gonna stuff a 1918 Regulation Police Target into a holster and carry it. I got some nice stainless carry guns for that.

Name:  no safe queens.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  239.4 KB
    Curt360, jeepnut and Rodan like this.
    "The right to buy weapons is the right to be free." -A.E. van Vogt

" It is simply not possible to believe fossil fuel emissions will destroy the world and, at the same time, oppose nuclear power. "- Dennis Prager

Member #
    Liked
    321 times
    Said it before, but here goes again. There are NO virgins in my safe.............couple of collectibles yeah, but every dang thing therein is subject to gettin ' a hot bbl.............that includes the 1918 hand ejector in .32 and that (unfortunately) nickled but otherwise nice 1911 that bubba had a hand in. My old M/70 is on tap to bust a few tomorrow.............hopefully the scope will still hold it's zero. Heck I even shoot my Grandad's old single Shattuck's perfection (tho with BP)! Gun hadn't seen much use till I got it, but the story of him, shootin' his sisters toe off while tryin' to kill her cat will live on thru the next gen...............I hope.

Like I said, brook no Virgins!
    Curt360 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    4773 times
    I collect. I have safe queens. Nuff said.
    Curt360 likes this.
    Paul

STUPID WILL GET YOU KILLED

Member #
    Liked
    14741 times
    I've said it before.........I have bought 'pre-owned' NIB S&W's for a good price, (below a new revolver of the same model) in the used counter of a gun shop. These are 'like new' guns, and I take them to the range, and shoot them. Nothin' wrong with that....is there??? Bob
    Curt360 likes this.
    When you want the BEST! Bob

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    41663 times
    We are the same if we get anything it gets shot!
    Curt360 and dogrunner like this.
    Cum Deo et victricibus armis

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links