Should I take my 460 to the range?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Should I take my 460 to the range?

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    18748 times

Should I take my 460 to the range?

One of the guys I hunt with, Jimmy, is an avid handgun shooter and shoots an an indoor range south of here a bit. He's been bugging me to bring my 460 down and shoot it indoors at this range. I'm hesitant about doing it because it's obnoxiously loud as in a cannon like report when discharged and I'm worried that the shooter in the next lane over, I might blow his eardrums out. I wear double hearing protection, it's that loud, borders in insane and the sound pressure can be felt as well.

Input please. Remember I don't ever shoot big bore guns indoors. Always outside on my private range. Typically, any weapon with a brake will be loud but this one is past loud.
    jeepnut, Thewelshm and sdismukes like this.

Member #
    Liked
    5990 times
    First will the range allow it??
    What good is it to shoot 25 yards or whatever the indoor range is??

Second. it would be so totally rude and obnoxious to do so!

I shot mine at a Outdoor range and the sheer concussion of it about lifted the overhead "roof" it could be heard for miles.

NRA Certified RSO

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    18748 times
    Jimmy said they will. He said some guy had a Desert Eagle 50 AE there (I want one of them as well) so sounds like it's doable. Like I said, problem is the noise and the brake wash. I think Jimmy wants me to bring it and shoot it for 'effect' more than anything else. I'm hesitant to do that. it's really a 100+ yard wheelgun. Got it sighted at 100 already.
    jeepnut, Thewelshm and sdismukes like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    5466 times
    Note my avatar.
    I shoot mine at an indoor range all the time. (5 incher) It's a blast- in more ways than one.
    Thewelshm likes this.
    "The right to buy weapons is the right to be free." -A.E. van Vogt

" It is simply not possible to believe fossil fuel emissions will destroy the world and, at the same time, oppose nuclear power. "- Dennis Prager

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    18748 times
    Quote Originally Posted by delcrossv View Post
    Note my avatar.
    I shoot mine at an indoor range all the time. (5 incher) It's a blast- in more ways than one.
    Mine is a bit larger than yours....lol (not that, the gun....). Mine is the 14" barrel with a side blow brake. It's a huge revolver, just the way I like them, big and nasty. Shooting handloads mostly.
    jeepnut likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    5466 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
    Mine is a bit larger than yours....lol (not that, the gun....). Mine is the 14" barrel with a side blow brake. It's a huge revolver, just the way I like them, big and nasty. Shooting handloads mostly.
    You'll have fun- mind the "prop wash".
    Thewelshm likes this.
    "The right to buy weapons is the right to be free." -A.E. van Vogt

" It is simply not possible to believe fossil fuel emissions will destroy the world and, at the same time, oppose nuclear power. "- Dennis Prager

Member #
    Liked
    923 times
    @SidecarFlip Having a lot of hearing loss, I am strongly suggesting that you not take that gun to an indoor range. That is a just plain nasty show-off thing which actually could do serious damage to others on the range, and I think you are a better person than that.
    Injunbro likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    11997 times
    First if you do take it to the range wear double ear plugs in the ear and full ear covers. Second make sure everybody in the range knows what you are shooting . so they have the option for double ear protection and or leaving. Third what is the point of shooting it on an indoor range at 75 feet. That Gun is a 100 yard shooter. Hunting gun.

Have fun enjoy your sport but be considerate of others . !!!
    TO Ride, Shoot Straight, and Speak the Truth.

Member #
    Liked
    58376 times
    Other than the show-off factor why? Tell Jimmy to shoot it outside @ your ranges if he wants to. Risking damage to other peoples ears is childish.
    ShooterGranny and Leo918 like this.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment & buy one" Jesus - Luke 22:36

Member #
    Liked
    6349 times
    A retired friend and I took our .454 Casull revolvers to our gun club early in the morning during the week. We were the only two on the entire gun club and wearing foam earplugs and electronic muffs. We were all the way at one end of the range. The ranges are open air with covered shooting areas. A young guy came in with a new .22 pistol and took the lane next to us instead of at the other end. He jumped, winced, and flinched every time we shot.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links