Don't know what it is but its old
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Don't know what it is but its old

Member #
    Liked
    2905 times

Don't know what it is but its old

First what I know. Many years ago, my great great great Grandfather came up out of Alabama during the Civil War (Always thought my family was from Georgia). Somewhere in the North Georgia area, the ladies came out to feed the troops. My GGGGranddaddy fell for one young lady and told her that she would wait for him and him made it back, he would marry her. He made it back and they married and here I am. This is his gun as told by my aunt. All my relatives that have any knowledge about it are now gone. There is no Brand/Model/serial number on it. It is simply a double barrel gun. Sorry I can't a photo of the entire gun but the details wouldn't show.

Now about it. Notice the wooden stick used to mash down the powder and paper. When I put it in one barrel it does almost all the way down. In the other barrel, the stick sticks out about a foot. What is clogging the barrel? Wasp nest? Mud and dirt? Powder and ball redy to go? No idea. One of the hammers is broken off as you can see. I would not attempt to pull either back or do anything except hand it on the wall.
    Name:  IMG_3815.jpg
Views: 432
Size:  19.1 KBName:  IMG_3816.jpg
Views: 433
Size:  12.6 KBName:  IMG_3867.jpg
Views: 423
Size:  12.6 KBName:  IMG_3869.jpg
Views: 365
Size:  12.5 KBName:  IMG_3870.jpg
Views: 442
Size:  20.2 KB
    Last edited by Sportymonk; 03-27-2017 at 11:12 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    13857 times
    Looks like an old muzzle loading shotgun. Wall hanger for sure. Cool!

Member #
    Liked
    58309 times
    Super Cool! I'd get a worm from any supplier of black powder guns & see if that restriction is a jammed bullet or??? You might need to spray some penetrating oil in to get it to move. Then I'd hang it on the wall in a place of honor along w/ whatever information you have.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment & buy one" Jesus - Luke 22:36

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    28235 times
    Cool! Its an early Glock prototype . . . . . ok, so it isn't a Glock, it's way more cool!

Member #
    Liked
    40657 times
    Super cool!!

I have sort'a pre-inherited a percussion (looks factory made for percussion, not converted) 20-gauge musket/shotgun, The barrel calipers out at .62" and a 20 gauge is .615". It looks like a Malherbe, a Belgian make. I can still see "...herbe" on one sideplate, and a Malherbe dating from 1839 having the identical sideplate was up for auction. Mine isn't in as good condition as that one was. Definitely a workman's gun, steel trigger guard, steel (now missing) butt plate, no engraving. Might'a been sporterized as the stock is real short and missing the ramrod. Couple of repairs along the way... Most recently I had to fashion a link connecting the mainspring to the trigger mechanism from a piece of old sawsall blade. Very plain. But it still shoots!

Put a .60 musket ball through MsDis's planter - she ain't skilleted my head but maybe she ain't put 2 and 2 together yet....! 'Course she ain't read this post yet, neither... Hmmm.... maybe not my smartest move.... Lot of those to choose from!!

Reckon it belonged to my wife's great granddad who fought in the War Between the States, for Ohio IIRC. Bet it would have some stories to tell, as would your double-barrel!! Gotta wonder what sort of goose or duck that has brought down!

Like InjunBro said, get a worm to loosen what's in the barrel. Dig out that dirt-dauber's nest, or chunk of lead (maybe an old squib!), or whatever it is. You know it's gonna be old! If it's in any sort of condition, 35-40 grains black powder and some shotgun pellets, say 7 1/2 or so, should shoot just fine, and will be low-stress. Typically those things were shot with 70 grains or more of black powder.

Let us know what you discover!
    Injunbro and Sportymonk like this.
    No God, No Good.... Know God, Know Good....

Any government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take everything you have.--- Thomas Jefferson

911 Response time: 600+ seconds. 1911 response time: 800+ feet per second.

US Navy, Vietnam Vet, NRA Life Member, GOA Life Member, Hook'em Horns!

Member #
    Liked
    2512 times
    OP,

That left barrel is loaded. Either with more than one charge and ball, or it was fired with a wet charge that only moved the ball part way down the barrel. It's up to you if you want to try and get the ball out of the barrel. It's been sitting like that for this long, if it's just going to hang on a wall, you may as well just leave it alone. If you do try to pull the ball, I would go out and buy a brand new modern fiberglass or aluminum cleaning rod and rod tools. Leave the original cleaning rod alone, if you try to pull it with the original rod, you will most likely break the rod. If you do try to pull the ball, you will also have to soak the bore in penetrating oil. Stand the gun up in a corner and literally pour penetrating oil down the bore, then leave her sit for a few days before you try to pull it. It may not come out without a considerable amount of effort, just be careful not to strain that old dried out stock, would be easy to crack or break the stock if you're horsing around with it trying to get that ball out.

I would also see if I could get a gunsmith nearby to look down the right hand barrel with a bore scope, it may possibly also still be loaded with a charge and ball (I doubt it looking at the ramrod length sticking out on that side, but it's possible).

And resist any temptations to shoot that one, if you get both barrels cleared. Once damascus barrels start to rust, they lose their structural integrity between the coils of steel.

It's a great old piece, worthy of a proper place on a wall to display your family history.

Here's one from my family history, been in my family for 5 generations, damascus barrels, drilling rifle/shotgun combo. I'll never try to fire this one, but it looks great on the wall.

I would have seen this post sooner if it had been in the blackpowder or long gun forum. Maybe a Dev can move this one?
    Last edited by SlowpokeSlim; 11-15-2016 at 07:28 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    2905 times
    At this point, I will most likely leave it as is and hand it on the wall. Thanks for the advise on clearing the barrel and I may someday. I would never attempt to fire it. One hammer is already broken off and I suspect any attempt to fire it would only damage the gun and me more than any target. It is just going to be a wall hander for sure.

I ws just curious as there is no manufacturer or id on it.
    Slimchance likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    6243 times
    Stand it on the butt in the corner and spray/pour some Kroil down the barrel to deactivate any powder and render it as safe as possible. Try to get a bit thru the flash hole or nipple too. Charges in shotguns were held in with wadding , and even if loaded with solid round balls , those were usually patched as with a rifle. So after soaking , everything might just fall out with a few muzzle down taps on a wooden surface.
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have." G.R. Ford

Member #
    Liked
    1780 times
    What a great piece of family history!
    Sportymonk likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    10227 times
    It looks like one of a bazillion basic farm shotguns. BTW shotguns were available as muzzleloaders later than rifles and pistols. Most of these trade guns originated in Belgium and the locks were either later or never marked. If you can get the hammers to half cock, then gently tap the wedge out of the forearm and swing the barrels upward and unhook them. Proofmarks will be on the underside of the barrels (if any). ELG in an oval will be Belgian. If you can do these tasks I would apply grease (or something) under the barrels before reassembly.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links