Here is one you don't see very often
    Member #
    Liked
    2114 times

Here is one you don't see very often

Is it a battle rifle though....well....not really, but to get to the battle rifle you had to get by this one.

This is a Polish WZ48 training rifle. Made to look, feel and handle like a Mosin Nagant of the era, more specifically the Mosin Nagant Model 38. If you need to train shooters you want to start them with something easy, both on the shoulder and ears, to shoot. This one fit the bill. A single shot .22 that has zero recoil and very little noise when shooting. The gun's receiver is massive, as is the barrel. After all, it had to mimic the Mosin Nagant. The gun weighs about 8.5 lbs, has an overall length of 44" and a barrel length of about 23".

The sights also mimic the Mosin Nagant, a rear sight mimics the M38 rear sight, except it is marked in 5m increments from 25m to 100m. It operates like any MN rear sight, with a push button on one side to disengage the lock to allow adjustment.

The front sight is also a direct take off from the MN, a post inside a protective globe.

This gun is not nearly as accurate as most 22's, but some of that may lay in the design of the chamber and extractor. It has a massive piece of metal for an extractor, so massive it actually makes part of the chamber. Here it is closed against the chamber, making the bottom rear of the chamber and also pulled back in its extraction position. This piece of metal slides along the bottom of the receiver whenever the bolt is manipulated.

With a shell loaded you can see how that works and also the size of the extractor.

The bolt is unlike a Mosin Nagant bolt, in fact it is based on a 1920's Mauser design. It has the Mauser type safety on the bolt.

This is a very pleasant gun for people to shoot. It has no recoil, little noise and will shoot accurately enough to build confidence in a new shooter.

To load you push the extractor against the chamber and load the one round, close the bolt and you are good to go. After firing the bolt is opened, dragging the extractor back with it and removing the fired cartridge.

So, while not a battle rifle, this gun had its place with the Soviet Armies. As the Soviet Union disallowed private ownership of firearms many of the conscripts were totally unfamiliar with firearms. Because of this the ability to use a training gun in .22 cal that mimicked the battle rifle of the day make sense not only from the standpoint of training new shooters but also keeping the cost of ammo down.

bob
    Build a man a fire and he will be warm for the night, but set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    8525 times

Re: Here is one you don't see very often

Very interesting! I have not seen any of those before. Thank you.
    Lost in the woods.

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2979 times

That is very cool Bob, I would not mind owing one of those!
    Let go of anything that stops you from having everything…DM

Dom

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    9 times

Bob where did you find that rifle? I have never seen one.

Member #
    Liked
    2114 times

I can't really remember where I picked it up, but it was several years ago. I picked it up during the time I was collecting Mosin Nagants and other Soviet arms. I thought it made a neat addition.

bob
    Build a man a fire and he will be warm for the night, but set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    41490 times

Now that is nice! Imagine taking it to the range and the folks around you expecting a centerfire weapon to go off next to them.
    Cum Deo et victricibus armis

Links