Thread: FN-FAL

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    130 times

FN-FAL

Hello all,

New member here due to digging out some old Smiths I've had for years and one REALLY nice 686 wife just got me.

I'm really a rifle guy at heart and in the last couple of years have gotten into FAL rifles. Just wondering if anyone here is also into the right hand of the free world?

Art
    Last edited by Tazman1602; 01-07-2019 at 07:52 AM. Reason: Added subscription
    combat, Injunbro and Forester like this.

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    8366 times
    Not me but I’d love to own one.

Welcome to the forum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Lost in the woods.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    130 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Forester View Post
    Not me but I’d love to own one.

Welcome to the forum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hey Forester,

Piece of cake. Receivers are still available from DSA or Coonan (IF Coonan ever makes a comeback from a recent re-org..) and there are a few over on falfiles too. I know a guy who has some and can put you in touch with him if you wish. Gunthings.com (Brad Washa) has quality Imbel kits available and Mark at Arizona Response Systems is the premier builder.

I've got one Mark built for me -- I would build myself but tools are a premium and headspacing is a bit different on these. Mine was built on a Coonan type III receiver and Imbel parts kit. I also snagged recently an Imbel gear logo receiver he's going to build for me.

Why FAL a lot of people ask. Well, I can't stand AK's and quite frankly got tired of building AR's or more specifically, I got tired of bubba's attempting to build AR's and then bringing them to me to fix.

For those that want to know, YES, they are heavy, about like an M1 Garand. It took a real man to hump that M1 through Europe IMHO but MAN! That is a RIFLE! That's the next on my short list.

Cost to build, properly, is going to run a bit shy of $2K but they are great pieces. A *good* M1 Garand will run about the same.

Thank You for the welcome, Smiths are making a big comeback for me personally!

Art
    Forester, combat and blitzen25cat like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    16969 times
    Tazman, we do like pics.

Member #
    Liked
    424 times
    I like the FAL also, but bought an HK91 knock off, the PTR 32. Why, because I got tired of being thumped on by 308 but still wanted a 30 cal cartridge. The PTR uses AK mags and shoots the 7.62x39 ammo. I also like the roller lock action and easy take down without any tools. Also somewhat heavy, but not as heavy as the FAL. Here's a picture of one.

Name:  ptr32kfr__57389.1504788059.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  16.3 KB

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    130 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ussmanlovede36 View Post
    Tazman, we do like pics.
    I knew I was going to get called out over that one.....

Name:  kzWLByp.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  1.19 MB

Name:  5k4SVN9.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  129.3 KB

She's a real shooter too, a little different in configuration from what I'm used to but it's so nice it doesn't take long to get used to. Accurate too!

Art

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    130 times
    That's still a nice rifle Area51. FAL because of the gas system and the weight doesn't have much of a kick and I have all the reloading tooling I need for that caliber. Love 30-06 also but in my latter years have kinda standardized on 308/243 for *most* of my rifles.....

Art

Member #
    Liked
    8450 times
    Years ago I had a Century , inch pattern L1A1 dressed in a full set of Australian wood. I swear it was the only gun Century EVER assembled correctly and it never hiccupped , ever. Wonderful , affordable , gun.
    At the same time I had a PTR 91 G3 kind of gun . More expensive but also a faultless , great shooting gun .
    Loved shooting both of them till one day when I took them both out at the same time and shot them side by side.
    Accuracy with same ammo, about the same . Bulk and weight, about the same . Quality of iron sights , about the same. Smoothness in action , comfort while shooting , felt recoil,,,,,, WAY DIFFERENT !!!

I went home and sold the PTR that same day !

Sadly I let the Century L1A1 get away from me to a friend that wanted/needed/lusted after it. But I still have a DSA SA58 hiding in the safe. Being voracious ammo gobbler means it seldom sees daylight anymore. Cheap surplus 308 ammo was the other key to happiness .

P.S. I NEVER found a single piece of brass the PTR ejected . They may still be in orbit. The FAL gas adjustment ROCKS. With proper adjustment spent shells can found next to you on the shooting bench.

No pictures of the DSA possible , I've tried. It's a flat black rifle that seems to suck the light out of the room. All I ever get is a picture of a black stick thingie.
    Weird photo voodoo stuff happens.
    Where am I going ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and why am I in this handbasket ?

You know my uncle , he's as honest as me . An I'm as honest as a government man can be.

Member #
    Liked
    3505 times
    Here is a pic of one of my FAL's, I got 4 FAL,'s two Argy,s, an STG58 and a carbine from Brazil.
    WendyZXZ and Forester like this.

Member #
    Liked
    13819 times
    My two Grail rifles are an FN FAL & an FN FNC. Someday......?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links