does anyone know what this could be?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree86Likes

Thread: does anyone know what this could be?

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    26377 times
    The Mum on the receiver nearly tripled the value of your rifle. Probably worth somewhere around $500-600, maybe even more if the bore is sound, and it can be shot.
    Do an internet search for an Arisaka collectors group. They'll be able to give you even more info than we can from here.
    magspop and jeepnut like this.
    Teach them the truth, and let them sort thru the cobwebs of liberalism that have infested their minds.
    When the time comes that I don't want a new gun, call the undertaker!
    When they come for your guns, give them the ammo first!
    .45 ACP, Because shooting twice is just plain silly!

http://www.corneredcat.com
    http://www.takdriver.com

Member #
    Liked
    2695 times
    It doesn't belong to me and it is in such rough shape shooting it is totally out of the equation. A friend of mine had a neighbor pass away and the guys wife gave it to my friend. He isn't much on "computer machines" so I told him that I would look into it for him because he had no idea what it was. I guess the neighbor was pretty old and perhaps he brought it home from overseas. I appreciate all the help from the members here on identifying it for him but the trouble is now he thinks I'm smart.

Member #
    Liked
    57943 times
    Quote Originally Posted by magspop View Post
    but the trouble is now he thinks I'm smart.

Don't worry, he'll realize the truth soon enough! (Sorry Pop, I couldn't resist & it's been a while since I razzed you!).
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment & buy one" Jesus - Luke 22:36

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    2695 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Injunbro View Post
    Don't worry, he'll realize the truth soon enough! (Sorry Pop, I couldn't resist & it's been a while since I razzed you!).
    No need to be sorry, I've kinda missed it in a satiric way .

Member #
    Liked
    6243 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Injunbro View Post
    Some of the rifles towards the end of the war had heat-treat issues. Cool piece for a collection but I wouldn't shoot it.
    Yer thinking Type 99 'Last Ditch' Arisakas. The Type 38's had the strongest bolt actions ever known. Proven by several blow-up tests by wildcatters like Parker Ackley.
    charles and jeepnut like this.
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have." G.R. Ford

Member #
    Liked
    6243 times
    Quote Originally Posted by magspop View Post
    It doesn't belong to me and it is in such rough shape shooting it is totally out of the equation. A friend of mine had a neighbor pass away and the guys wife gave it to my friend. He isn't much on "computer machines" so I told him that I would look into it for him because he had no idea what it was. I guess the neighbor was pretty old and perhaps he brought it home from overseas. I appreciate all the help from the members here on identifying it for him but the trouble is now he thinks I'm smart.
    Japanese rifles are really starting to come up in value. Especially with the Mum intact. Overlooked and neglected for many years , they were made into wall hangers , lamps , and simply thrown away.
    jeepnut likes this.
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have." G.R. Ford

Member #
    Liked
    514 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mkk41 View Post
    Yer thinking Type 99 'Last Ditch' Arisakas. The Type 38's had the strongest bolt actions ever known. Proven by several blow-up tests by wildcatters like Parker Ackley.
    P.O. Ackley. Couldn't remember his name.

Member #
    Liked
    8145 times
    Not trying to hijack the thread, BUT could a Rockwell hardness test tell if the metal had been heat treated? It would leave a tiny indentation, but I've always wondered if it would confirm heat treatment.

Member #
    Liked
    6243 times
    Quote Originally Posted by scott View Post
    Not trying to hijack the thread, BUT could a Rockwell hardness test tell if the metal had been heat treated? It would leave a tiny indentation, but I've always wondered if it would confirm heat treatment.
    Hardness does not always equal toughness. Hardness does coincide with brittleness however. Different steels heat treat differently. Type 38's and early Type 99's were very high in molybdenum , which made for very tough steels , as evidenced by the Samurai swords. Early '03 Springfield actions were plain high-carbon steel. High on the surface hardness (57-60 Rockwell C) , but as we now know , usually brittle. The post-WWI thru WWII'03 actions made from nickel-steel alloy were usually in the 53-55c range.
    Last edited by mkk41; 09-17-2017 at 05:09 PM.
    scott, PA_Bob, combat and 1 others like this.

Member #
    Liked
    8145 times
    Thank you, sir!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Links